8'th grade exam

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 07:07 am
http://therundownlive.com/8th-grade-test-from-1912-shows-how-far-american-education-has-been-dumbed-down-take-the-test/

Ionus

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 07:18 am
@gungasnake,
Can you post it I am getting all sorts of programs I dont want when I go to download .
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 07:29 am
Quote:
To pass this test, no knowledge of the arts is necessary (not even a nodding familiarity with a few of the greatest works of English literature), no demonstration of mathematical learning other than plain arithmetic is required (forget algebra, geometry, or trigonometry), nothing beyond a familiarity with the highlights of American history is needed (never mind the fundamentals of world history, as this exam scarcely acknowledges that any country other than the USA even exists), no questions about the history, structure, or function of the United States government are asked (not even the standard "Name the three branches of our federal government"), science is given a pass except for a few questions about geography and the rudiments of human anatomy, and no competence in any foreign language (living or dead) is necessary. An exam for today's high school graduates that omitted even one of these subjects would be loudly condemned by parents and educators alike

http://www.snopes.com/language/document/1895exam.asp

Kids today are much better educated than these kids.
Ionus

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 07:57 am
@maxdancona,
Thanks max .

I found one that doesnt get much attention these days ...
Quote:
6. What is Punctuation? Give rules for principal marks of Punctuation.
What ever happened to commas ?
0 Replies