What Is Your Life Philosophy?

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 05:35 pm
Smile Well said! Glad your doggies are recovering, though.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 05:46 pm
How absurd the world is. I love that bit of philosophy. Kuvasz, because it is. I remember, when I was very young, coming home to find my parents gone, a very rare occurence. I went to the room where my dog was, lying with her tiny, sweet-smelling puppies, and curling up next to the entire soft and accepting lot. For that one evening, Sugar and her litter, were my comfort and protection. How fortunate you are, Kuvasz, and how fortunate your trusting charges.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 06:53 pm
kuvasz wrote:

upon looking down at a recovering pet you love and wish health for, you realize how much a part of your life they are. then you see the small puddle of dog urine that had been there all the time as you had waxed poetic and realize how absurd the world is.

Please give Kodi and aja doggie hugs and kisses from me and my dog Sissy. Any human who is loved by a dog is very blessed indeed.
0 Replies

brimstone

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 05:35 am
Just a few more from moi!

Treat animals as you wish to be treated by yourself. Put yourself in their shoes, and then you will see what it is like.

If you litter, graffiti, or vandalise, you are no associate of mine.

Leave places in a better condition than you found them. If everyone did this, the world would be a better place.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 11:22 am
the reincarnation of suzy wrote:
Where does that "meh" come from? My youngest says it all the time!

More than likely it's from "The Simpsons"

Homer: Kids, how would you like to go... to Blockoland!
Bart & Lisa: Meh.
Homer: But the TV gave the impression that--
Bart: We said "meh".
Lisa: M-E-H. Meh.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 02:35 pm
doglover wrote:
My philosophies are these:

To be kind to everyone I meet unless they give me reason to treat them otherwise.

Respect the differences in others.

Never be too stubborn or proud to say I'm sorry or I was wrong, please forgive me.

Have respect for myself and I will have respect others.

Stand up for myself whenever it is necessary to do so.

Keep a positive attitude in any situation.

Doesn't this all really boil down to the Categorical Emperative. Or at least the Golden Rule. I feel even DogLover's concepts of self treatment boil down to a Golden Rule of "Treat myself like I would like to be treated."

Does this then allow us to fall into a ego-centric form of life philosophy / Ethics where if the ego is 'off' the ethics are off?

TF
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 02:38 pm
As for myself I find myself aligning with a more Epicurean frame of mind. Pleasure is the only measure of 'good' and maximizing pleasure (Atoraxia) is the goal in life.

Please don't confuse this with the Cyreanic concept of maximizing pleasure (i.e. More pleasure more good = 1 bottle of wine: good 12 bottles of wine: More good)

Pleasure is defined here as the simple absence of pain.

TF
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 02:39 pm
Do unto others.....
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 02:48 pm
Measure yourself by
* what you will do regardless of penalty
* what you will refuse regardless of reward
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 03:59 pm
Thanks Joe! I shoulda known! My youngest is a Simpsons freak!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 04:18 pm
thethinkfactory wrote:
As for myself I find myself aligning with a more Epicurean frame of mind. Pleasure is the only measure of 'good' and maximizing pleasure (Atoraxia) is the goal in life.

Please don't confuse this with the Cyreanic concept of maximizing pleasure (i.e. More pleasure more good = 1 bottle of wine: good 12 bottles of wine: More good)

Pleasure is defined here as the simple absence of pain.

TF

After 12 bottles of wine, I highly doubt I would know the difference between the two philosophies. I also completely disagree with you, on some levels. Smile
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 04:26 pm
Absence of pain?!?! Lord, without the hangover, how do you enjoy the day after the hangover? Without the heartbreak, how do you enjoy a Saturday night alone? Without stumbling down a steep, rocky trail with a throat swollen shut and feet bleeding inside cruel boots, how do you enjoy cool water and soft shoes at the lake below? Pain can be very instructive.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 05:24 pm
thethinkfactory's right Cav. Think it through. If you were given one bottle of Château Latour or Château Mouton Rothschild you would be happy once. A whole case? At least 6 times plus a few dozen brags= more good.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 05:28 pm
Cav:

What levels?

Patio:

I suggest then slaming your genetalia in a door before having sex... it makes it better! Wink

I am not sure that you need that sort of pain to know sex feels good...

However, Epicurus (I think) nor I are saying that pain is not instructive - I am not sure Epicurus would say that you could have pleasure without pain... it is just that we often conceptualize pleasure as a positive state of affairs (such as when I buy this item it gives me pleasure).

I think the absence of pain is a more neutral state of pleasure - and this is what I am referring to. The positive to this conception of pleasure is that it ensures moderation.

TF
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 05:41 pm
My philosophy:

half of what I hear is good, the other half is bullshit. i gotta be sharp enough to discern which half.

That, and just keep breathing regularly

Kuvasz--Im really happy that your buddy's ,mending. I recall your post about our animal friends , veterinary med is really light years ahead of what it was just 20 years ago
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 05:41 pm
How much pleasure can become an overload?
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 07:01 am
CI,

When it becomes pain. That is the simple answer. I see this as a sort of 'hexis' like Aristotle did. To use my drining analogy, when I began drinking I did not know the point where pleasure blurred to pain. After a few years I know when to stop and be happy and when if I had a few more I would have paint (then - the next morning).

The neutral definition of pleasure as the absence of pain gurantees moderation.

TF
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 09:42 am
Quote:
Patio:

I suggest then slaming your genetalia in a door before having sex... it makes it better!

Thank you. I shall do so. (Works for some.)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 10:45 am
you know, I forgot my most important personal philosophy

"Never lose the curiosity that I had when I was 11 years old. Ones entire life should be events of induced surprise"

Dont let your job define you. If you do it for a hobby , then its ok. People will just naturally avoid you and thats ok too.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 11:06 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
thethinkfactory's right Cav. Think it through. If you were given one bottle of Château Latour or Château Mouton Rothschild you would be happy once. A whole case? At least 6 times plus a few dozen brags= more good.

You have it backwards, Bill. thethinkfactory clearly stated that the philosophy presented was NOT to be confused with the Cyreanic concept of more pleasure = more good.

thethinkfactory, where I disagree with you is on the concept that 'maximizing pleasure' is the goal of life. While it may be a strong and important drive to contribute to what we call 'life', it is essentially hedonistic, contributing only to the pleasure of self. As a life philopsophy, I would reword 'maximizing pleasure' as 'minimizing pain', to me, a much more far-reaching idea that not only applies to the self, but to our responsibility for our fellow humans as well.
0 Replies