Oh atheists, teach me there is no God and I will be free.

fresco

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 02:50 pm
@neologist,
As a matter of interest, do JW's have a concept of "purgatory" as a temporary location prior to heaven and hell ? I didn't realize that the lavish expenditure on many middle age churches was financed from the wills of those attempting to pay for a shorter time in purgatory and a favorable final destination.
neologist

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 03:08 pm
@fresco,
Nah.
As Solomon so adroitly wrote. "the dead are conscious of nothing" (Ecclesiastes 9:5,10)
As for life after death. Jesus spoke of a resurrection at John 5:28,29 . All those who never had a chance (and there are billions, no doubt) will have one. The promise made to Adam and Eve will become reality.
north

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 11:18 pm
@neologist,

Actually it should be :

Research the History of god , going back , at least 10,000 yrs.

And I will be Free
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 11:29 pm
@Susmariosep,
Susmariosep wrote:

As I understand it, if someone claims that something invisible and otherwise undetectable with the senses or instruments is nevertheless real, the burden of proof rests with the believer, not the skeptic. To paraphrase Sagan, what' the difference between something that can't be detected and nothing?
north

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 12:36 am
@Susmariosep,
Susmariosep wrote:

As a Humanity first and fore most , Human , I can't tell you there is no god .

What I did ask myself is this :

Is there a god of any kind that has the thinking or philosophy that , Humanities welfare or survival , is more important than the existence of this god its self ?

None that I have come across

Further :

Some people have come to the point that , Freedom , their freedom and/or our freedom is based on the proof , by reasoning and logic , of the existence of any god .

This mindset is .......well on the wrong path of thought ...to my mind any way.

Freedom , Humanities freedom , is really based on the attitude that Humanity has towards itself , as individuals and as a whole .

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 04:18 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Susmariosep wrote:

As I understand it, if someone claims that something invisible and otherwise undetectable with the senses or instruments is nevertheless real, the burden of proof rests with the believer, not the skeptic. To paraphrase Sagan, what' the difference between something that can't be detected and nothing?

If "the skeptic" is like some of the atheists in this world (and here in A2K)...

...people who assert there are no gods...

...they bear as much burden of proof as any theist.

If you accurately quoted Sagan...he was asking a question that has a reasonable answer other than "nothing"...and since the quote is not in context, perhaps that is what he meant.

I understand you are pretending to be ignoring me, FBM. Just wanted to mention something that seems to disturb the atheists here.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 04:20 am
@north,
north wrote:

Susmariosep wrote:

As a Humanity first and fore most , Human , I can't tell you there is no god .

The first line of your response is the most important line, North.

In a sense, it is the only line worthy of serious consideration.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 04:56 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Yes, we have "experiences" which are reported in social contexts (even in our own heads). The words involved in that reporting serve to make those experiences "meaningful" to ourselves and others. But words are socially acquired...those reared in a theistic culture will acquire a different vocabulary to those who are not. Their very concept of "self"...its obligations and destiny... will be defined in terms of their cultural experiences.

Gipsies in Southern Spain have a concept of duende associated with the art form of flamenco. It is practically impossible for outsiders to know what this is about unless they steep themselves in the culture for some time. In my opinion, what theists mean by "God" is entirely analagous. Does "duende" exist ?....only if Southern Spanish Gipsies, and flamenco exist. Does "god" exist....only if theistic cultures "exist".

You see Fresco the thing about "fate" is that everybody believes it or otherwise no one wouldn't get out of bed in the morning...

Its entertaining when I read about how fate would render live meaningless on first inspection...you see, fate boils down to cause and effect...if anything rather be fated in the logos of reality then having any action of my being pertaining to a random accident.

I am one with reality and complete in it.

...again if anything, "context" is per se, proof of logos...
...amazing how people miss the contradiction...
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 05:58 pm
Does anyone know anything about this? Any flaws in methodology or any commentary? Came up contextless in reddit (via pinterest - freaking social media).

http://i.imgur.com/wRWV1DZ.jpg
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 09:08 pm
@hingehead,
WTF does this has anything to do with the question ? Or are we still grasping at straws with the long white beard old man idea ?

If I brought up the question in a different non biased way what would you answer ?
For instance, do you believe the Universe is rational or irrational ? Answer that if you will...
(not referring to "agency" either so don't even bother go there)
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 09:12 pm
Simply stating that one doesn't believe in childish immature concepts of God answers nothing, except perhaps qualifying the type of questions we are willing to waste time with...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 09:18 pm
A much better question would be to think and pounder on what different causes the very idea of God springs from so Universally and in which order of importance they are aligned from the most simple instinctive common sense ideas of governing agency up to the more abstract concepts of rational unity in Reality.

In my world Mathematics is proof of God. (At least my kind of God idea)
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 09:24 pm
Also its not my fault nor any European to put up with the massive amount of stupidity some countries have in their cultural background with religious fanatics that leads up to this kind of reactionary anti religious full front attack without any vague thought upon the social consequences...the XX century was pretty enlightening on that regard...

...its well true brilliant people are often the most stupid when it comes to nuance...
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 09:47 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Huh?

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 09:51 pm
@hingehead,
I bet you don't...we all good then !
I have no intention of being any clear at all...couldn't be bother with it...

(...don't take it personally either, mostly I like your posts...)
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 10:02 pm
Susmariosep

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 05:43 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Dear Fil, you are the last one to have sent a post to this thread, that was on 05/17/15 10:02 PM.

Let us both teach each other something that we each like very much to share with others.

From my part I like very much to teach others how to think for themselves instead of serving up like canned and packaged bottled and processed foods, when they contribute a post in a web forum, namely, they do nothing but name drop and technical terms drop, instead of something they cook up personally in their kitchen with their choice of recipes and ingredients.

Okay, that is what I like very much to teach others.

What about you, what do you like very much to teach others, and I do hope to learn something from you!
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 07:41 pm
LOOSE TROLL WARNING!
Susmariosep

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2017 09:45 pm
@fresco,
There you go, dear Fresco.

I can always count on you to for me see a red flag indicating that someone is present and knocking at my mind's door for attention.

Carry on.

And what, no more names dropping and technical terms dropping?!!!
0 Replies

Susmariosep

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2017 09:57 pm
@fresco,
I have to read now the very latest news from Trump, he promises to rain down fire and fury on the DPRK, once KIm Jong-un, the fat-ish young-ish head of state of North Korea hurls what, four missiles to within the vicinity of 30 kms from the shore of Guam!
0 Replies