Anyone here had experiences with Model UN before?

mithie

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 09:42 am
Been doing Model UN for about 5 years and I think it's really fun. Anyone else did this?

Model UN is a world wide thing for those of you that don't know, where students and debators get together for a "mock" United Nations conference discussing a topic.

Each participant represents a delegate from a nation and meet under a formal forum. Using standard United Nations protocol, delegates must represent their nation to the best of their abilities in coming up with a resolution to the topic.

I've helped organize countless conferences but I think it would be cool if we could organize the first online conference ever! (well okay, probably not EVER, but I don't imagine there are too many conferences on the internet).

Depending on how many people are interested, we can have a general assembly (80 to 200 participants) to security council (5-20 participants) or go all out crazy like the Politburo (12 participants) or NSA (10 participants).

The topic can be anything from pirates in the South China Sea to something completely hypothetical like an Indian nuclear powerplant meltdown.

We can have a historical crisis like the Cuban Missile Crisis or a hypothetical crisis like US missile shoots down Iranian passenger plane with constant mock news reports that reflect a dynamic world depending on how the conference is going.

It'll be cool, and fun, I think, to hold something like this on the internet because
1. If you're not sure about your country's policies or the topic, there's always google
2. No time constraint. A conference can be an hour long or a month, depending on how active the participants are!
3. I saw a dabate room forum, that'll be fun!

What say you?!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 523 • Replies: 2
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 09:48 am
I did model UN years ago. I was security, best job ever, heh heh. My wife was a debater in the model UN, and it's possible that we were actually at the same conference, and didn't know it. Life is strange that way sometimes.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 11:37 am
Sounds great! It's not totally unknown to me, this Model UN, but I never participated in one (nor do I know people who did).
0 Replies