Checking Into a Hotel

gollum

Thu 2 Apr, 2015 02:38 pm
Is it illegal to check into a hotel under a false name?

CalamityJane

Thu 2 Apr, 2015 02:40 pm
@gollum,
No, why?
THey just want their money, that's all..
0 Replies

contrex

Thu 2 Apr, 2015 03:56 pm
Where? Tibet? Scotland? Argentina?
roger

Thu 2 Apr, 2015 04:15 pm
@gollum,
I have been told that since 9/11, the hotel is required to have picture state or federal ID. The hotel may have been lying as they definitely want to know where to send the bill in case of damage or theft.
0 Replies

gollum

Thu 2 Apr, 2015 05:51 pm
@contrex,
United States.
Real Music

Thu 2 Apr, 2015 07:24 pm
@gollum,
I don't know whether or not it's illegal. There are situations someone would check into a hotel under a false name. One example would be when someone is paying cash only and is cheating on their significant other, avoiding any paper trail or evidence of their infidelity. Another example would be someone famous that's trying to avoid fans, tabloids, the media, etc. Sometimes famous people just want peace and quiet.
0 Replies

usery

Thu 2 Apr, 2015 08:15 pm
@gollum,
Under certain circumstances it is illegal to book into a hotel in the USA under a false name even if you show id and intend to pay the bill.
CalamityJane

Thu 2 Apr, 2015 08:38 pm
@usery,
Tell me, what are the "certain circumstances"?
usery

Thu 2 Apr, 2015 09:23 pm
@CalamityJane,
When the id and credit cards are stolen.
layman

Thu 2 Apr, 2015 11:23 pm
@usery,
Quote:
When the id and credit cards are stolen.

And when you check in under a false name, then haul out a .45 and shoot the clerk, too, eh?

What I'm saying (asking) is: What does that have to do with using a false name at a hotel, per se? It's obviously illegal to "buy" anything with a stolen credit card--any time, any place. That law has nothing to do with a hotel, though.
usery

Fri 3 Apr, 2015 12:16 am
@layman,
Quote:
And when you check in under a false name, then haul out a .45 and shoot the clerk, too, eh?

Surely etiquette imperatives proscribe shooting the clerk upon check-in when you have the whole stay which to look forward?
layman

Fri 3 Apr, 2015 12:20 am
@usery,

Quote:
Surely etiquette imperatives proscribe shooting the clerk upon check-in , you have the whole stay ahead?

Yeah, good point!
0 Replies

contrex

Fri 3 Apr, 2015 02:21 am
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

United States.

Oh. right. The only country in the world. I should have remembered! Stupid me!

layman

Fri 3 Apr, 2015 02:46 am
@contrex,
Quote:
Oh. right. The only country in the world. I should have remembered!

Naw, unfortunately it aint the onliest country in the world.

It is, however, the onliest one that really counts.
usery

Fri 3 Apr, 2015 03:50 am
@layman,
Quote:
It is, however, the onliest one that really counts.

"American numeracy skills were termed “very poor.” The United States outperformed only two comparison countries: Italy and Spain. Nearly one in three Americans scored near the bottom in numeracy. That Americans were slightly below average in problem solving using computers was especially discouraging."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/23/opinion/the-united-states-falling-behind.html?_r=0
layman

Fri 3 Apr, 2015 03:58 am
@usery,
Quote:
"American numeracy skills were termed “very poor.”

I take issue with that! Every red-blooded American knows, just for example, how much a shitload is. Limeys aint got no clue.

We're also more better in formulating concise sentences that aint redundant and don't just go around sayin the same damn thing twice, all over again, for the second time, and ****, ya know?
usery

Fri 3 Apr, 2015 04:17 am
@layman,
Should we get a room?

I've made a new card using your pic.

Best if I do the booking if it's on-line.
layman

Fri 3 Apr, 2015 04:39 am
@usery,
Who's bringin the .45? Never mind, I got that part covered.

As for the card, well, ya know....After I had filled my pick-up bed with lumber, I handed that man my credit card. He said: "Layman, I can't take this, that aint your name on this card." I said, "Well, that's cool, homey, I'll just write you a check, then...He said: "Layman, everybody know your checks aint no good. Cash, mofo"

I said: "Sho nuff. I'll run home and get the cash for you..how much was it again?" He said: "$3227.68" And ya know what? That fool let me drive on away, with the lumber still in my truck. The chump.

Point is, that pic is too well-known now to be useful. I got new ID cards now. And I'll have a new one next month, too. I sell my old ones cheap, if you're interested.
0 Replies

gollum

Fri 3 Apr, 2015 08:04 am
@CalamityJane,
I read that Chelsea Clinton uses an assumed name to check into hotels.
Ragman

Fri 3 Apr, 2015 01:34 pm
@gollum,
So? What if she does? As you were advised, it's a legal thing to do.

If I'm not grossly mistaken, where her parents are both lawyers with advanced legal degrees, she knows the law. I'm sure she knows what is legal and what is not. I just looked up her education and she recently graduated from Oxford in International global governance structures with a focus on global health. Do you think she'd be dumb enough to take any risk breaking the law over a desire for some privacy?
0 Replies