maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 11:29 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Mundane is no good. It has the meaning of ordinary or nothing noteworthy. This is not the opposite of Spiritual. Immediate to me mean focusing only on the present. This is also not what I am looking for.

The term I am looking for would have something to do with rational thought, accepting things that can be tested and being skeptical of things that can't.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 12:52 pm
@maxdancona,
I know what you looking for but I can't give it to you sorry...
For me the "scientific" vision of "spiritual" is holistic, meta functional, emergent, complex n so on...which are in the exact opposite direction of linear, mundane, obvious, etc etc...
maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 01:47 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I don't accept any of your adjectives... "linear", "obvious" or "mundane". None of them apply to me.

I am skeptical and rational. I rely on beliefs that are testable and I tend to discount ideas that can't be challenged by experiment or mathematical reasoning. Of course all of us, as human beings, are too complex to describe in a paragraph.

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 02:02 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I am skeptical and rational. I rely on beliefs that are testable and I tend to discount ideas that can't be challenged by experiment or mathematical reasoning.

Can you give me an idea of what you mean here?

An example or two.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 02:17 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I believe in the Big Bang. The evidence is compelling and it has been supported by observations based on several features of the universe. To test this theory we have build telescopes, and satellites and looked for background radiation, neutrinos and done experiments with colliders.

I don't believe that human beings have a soul (or anything outside of the electro-chemical workings of the physical brain). The concept of a soul is interesting philosophically and poetically, but there is no way to test if such a thing exists, so I discount the whole concept.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 02:27 pm
@maxdancona,
Bejeeesus man but who the frack is talking of the classical spirit/soul concept ???
Why, oh hell why, can't you for a minute detach from the religious take on the matter and enlarge your lexicon with a more profound insight on the potential meaning of the word ?...you just provided a perfect example of linear, mundane, and obvious take on the matter !
maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 02:35 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Relax Fil, Frank asked me for a couple of personal examples that would explain how I look at things. I gave him a couple of examples from my own life experience.

I don't really get the point you are trying to make... other than to try to label me as mundane and linear.

If you would like to offer a "more profound insight" I would be happy to explain whether it meets my criteria for being rational and testable.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 02:40 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Thanks for the response, Max.

The opposite of "spiritual" seems to be obvious. It is "not spiritual."

So I figured this thread needs some new blood to spill...prompting my question of you.

And you immediately brought up something that I would love to discuss.

You said:

Quote:
I believe in the Big Bang.

Okay. But I am not sure of what that means.

The "I believe in..." is an interesting construct...favored by theists in discussions about their gods.

"I believe in God..." is different in subtle ways from, "I believe a God exists."

What do you specifically mean by using, "I believe in the Big Bang"...rather than using something along the lines of, "I believe the universe came into existence as the result of what scientists call 'the Big Bang?'"

Do you think the question of how the universe came into existence has substantively been answered?

And since "what preceded the Big Bang" seems so nebulous and unsolvable...why do you consider that something "testable"...when it seems almost positive it is not?

Personally, I consider the "Big Bang" to be no more "testable" than the existence of a GOD.

Discuss this with me. The space is available here.

I have questions about your second paragraph also...but I'd like to focus on this.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 02:47 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Personally, I consider the "Big Bang" to be no more "testable" than the existence of a GOD.

This is the most interesting part of what you just said.

After the Big Bang theory came along, scientists started devising tests to see if the concept was valid. We built bigger telescopes, we expanded our understanding of quasars, we measured neutrinos, we tracked background radiation. All of this was done in public view with exacting mathematics and peer review. There are any number of results that could dispute the Big Bang theory... if any of these had been reliably shown, the Big Bang Theory would have been discarded. It wasn't discarded.

That is why the Big Bang theory is testable. Not only is it perfectly explained by the results of observations and mathematics, it is the only idea that meets this level of certainty (there are no other options that aren't refuted by experiment and mathematics).

The existence of a god can't be tested in this way.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 03:05 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

This is the most interesting part of what you just said.

After the Big Bang theory came along, scientists started devising tests to see if the concept was valid. We built bigger telescopes, we expanded our understanding of quasars, we measured neutrinos, we tracked background radiation. All of this was done in public view with exacting mathematics and peer review. There are any number of results that could dispute the Big Bang theory... if any of these had been reliably shown, the Big Bang Theory would have been discarded. It wasn't discarded.

That is why the Big Bang theory is testable. Not only is it perfectly explained by the results of observations and mathematics, it is the only idea that meets this level of certainty (there are no other options that aren't refuted by experiment and mathematics).

The existence of a god can't be tested in this way.

No...the existence of a god cannot be tested.

But having a "Big Bang" come out of nothing...cannot be either.

While I suspect the event we refer to as "the Big Bang" occurred...we are no closer to THE REALITY using it...than using a GOD.

The same problems arises.

Just as we are prone to ask, "Where did your GOD come from?"...we can ask, "Where did whatever the Big Bang made into everything come from?"

I hope you eventually get to my question about the phrasing "I believe in... ."

That truly interests me.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 03:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
The word "believe" refers to a internal state of an individual mind. When I say "I believe in the Big Bang", it minds that my mind considers the Big Bang to be true.

I think this is the appropriate way to phrase what I am saying...

I believe in the Big Bang.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 03:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You are misstating the science of the Big Bang.

I believe that at one point in time, all of the matter of the Universe existed in a single point. I don't have any belief about what was "before" the Big Bang. One is testable, the other is not. My beliefs are based on what is testable.

There is a lot of evidence that at one point in time, all of the matter of the Universe existed in a single point (this of course is a very simplified part of the theory). There are telescopic observations, there are quasars, there is background radiation, there are neutrinos.

There are things that are testable, and things that aren't testable. The parts of the Big Bang that are testable, I accept as truth (while also accepting that my truth may be wrong). The rest I either consider as a possibility... or just discount out of hand.

I consider the fact that all the matter in the Universe existed in a single point to be truth. How it got there? I have no way of knowing and anything I might conjecture I have to admit is just a guess.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 03:32 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

You are misstating the science of the Big Bang.

I believe that at one point in time, all of the matter of the Universe existed in a single point. I don't have any belief about what was "before" the Big Bang. One is testable, the other is not. My beliefs are based on what is testable.

There is a lot of evidence that at one point in time, all of the matter of the Universe existed in a single point (this of course is a very simplified part of the theory). There are telescopic observations, there are quasars, there is background radiation, there are neutrinos.

There are things that are testable, and things that aren't testable. The parts of the Big Bang that are testable, I accept as truth (while also accepting that my truth may be wrong). The rest I either consider as a possibility... or just discount out of hand.

I consider the fact that all the matter in the Universe existed in a single point to be truth. How it got there? I have no way of knowing and anything I might conjecture I have to admit is just a guess.

I see what you are saying, Max, and I find lots of areas of personal agreement with you.

But when I reflect on it, I find myself thinking that with science and the Big Bang...we get no further toward the answer to the Ultimate Question of "What is the true nature of the REALITY of existence"...than we do with priests, ministers, imams, rabbis, cardinals and popes.

To some...the science part seems closer to answering the question; to some...the religion part seems closer...

...to me, neither does anything except note the particulars of what IS...and what is happening...

...and then blindly speculating about an Ultimate Cause.

As for the other thing...apparently you consider the wording a convention, so to speak.

Fine. Thanks.

If anyone else has thoughts about that convention, I'd appreciate hearing them.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 03:59 pm
@Frank Apisa,
What does the "true nature of existance" have to do with anything?

I don't think I care about the Ulitimate Question or the Ultimate Cause. I consider these to be unknowable, and probably not very important anyway.

I prefer to focus on what is knowable.

There is another class of beliefs that I have. These some things that I need to decide as a way of living in the world.

For example, I believe as a matter of faith that human life is sacred. I have no logical or scientific reason for believing this. I don't think this has anything to do with any objective truth, and yet I hold it as a matter of faith because it informs who I want to be.

There are some things that I believe because I choose to believe them. But, I try to be honest with myself about what these are.

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 04:32 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

What does the "true nature of existance" have to do with anything?

Everything, Max. Everything.

Quote:
I don't think I care about the Ulitimate Question or the Ultimate Cause. I consider these to be unknowable, and probably not very important anyway.

Thank you for sharing that.

I consider them to be absorbing and compelling questions.

Quote:
I prefer to focus on what is knowable.

Okay.

Quote:
There is another class of beliefs that I have. These some things that I need to decide as a way of living in the world.

For example, I believe as a matter of faith that human life is sacred. I have no logical or scientific reason for believing this. I don't think this has anything to do with any objective truth, and yet I hold it as a matter of faith because it informs who I want to be.

Okay.

Quote:
There are some things that I believe because I choose to believe them. But, I try to be honest with myself about what these are.

Okay.

If a person tells me that GOD created the universe...I ask, "So who or what created your god?"

Most theists seem to think that question is not important...or some such. Essentially, they avoid it.

Since you are telling me that the universe came into existence by the device of a Big Bang of a single point or singularity...

...my question would be, "So how did the singularity come into existence?"

I get the impression you think that question is not important...or some such.

maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 04:46 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

Since you are telling me that the universe came into existence by the device of a Big Bang of a single point or singularity...

...my question would be, "So how did the singularity come into existence?"

I get the impression you think that question is not important...or some such.

Yes, that is correct.

I believe that there was a Big Bang because there is so much testable evidence and no other explanation that fits the evidence scientifically/mathematically.

The question of how the singularity came into existence is not worth spending very much time considering until someone can come up with a scientific way to test whether one explanation is better than another. Actually I have considered it in the past... and if someone comes up with a new imaginative possibility, I might find it interesting to discuss over a beer. But without a way to test it, it isn't worth spending too much time worrying about.

There are some non-testable questions that need an answer i.e. questions of moral values or how I interact with the world around me daily. In this case, I choose beliefs that suit the person that I want to be. But I try to be honest with myself in this case. These beliefs come from personal choice, not from reason.

But the the question of where the singularity came from does not have any relevance to my daily life.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 04:54 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

But the the question of where the singularity came from does not have any relevance to my daily life.

If it doesn't, Max...

...then neither does the Big Bang!
maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 05:00 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Sure Frank,

Did you see I listed 3 categories

- Things that are scientifically testable.
- Things that are not testable and not relevant to my daily life
- Things that are not testable but are relevant to my daily life

I lump all of the scientifically testable things in one category because being scientifically testable makes them interesting to me (of course this is a matter of personal preference). The Big Bang (as the fact that all matter was in a singular point) is an example of this.

The "where did the singularity come from" question is not testable and not relevant. I don't consider this question very important. Again this is a matter of personal preference.

0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 12:12 pm
The English language is incomplete in that it doesn't include an adequate word for, perhaps, what you're describing. The closest I can think of for myself would be pantheist, still ambivalent and inadequate. Unfortunately, the word religion has been hijacked by the fundamentalists and literalists and implies a supernatural. The supernatural in religion is an act of desperation and passed on by indoctrination. Is indoctrination true religion?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 12:29 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
Is indoctrination true religion?

Yes. I believe it is.
0 Replies