Have You Noticed?

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:37 pm
The hue, cry, coverage and discussion of the Paul Johnson beheading does not come close to the level of attention that the Nick Berg one got?
Now we have the South Korean man. Since he's not an American, the citizens of the USA will barely give that guy a thought.

I think the terrorists will find that continuing these executions is not that great an idea, not because it will strengthen our resolve and make us continue to bear down on them, but because we have become a desensitized nation of A.D.D'ers that are incapable of sustaining outrage or actual deep felt sympathy or genuine moral outrage. We save our moral outrage for gay marriages and stained dresses.

By this time next month, I predict stand up comics will be making beheading jokes in their acts. And people will laugh at them.

telling and sad IMO.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,759 • Replies: 21
No top replies

doglover

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 03:16 pm
IMO, the 24 hour cable networks need to stop covering these abductions and beheadings ad nauseum. If they did, I think you would see the rash of beheadings stop.

I don't think beheadings will ever be foder for comics BPB...and I don't think people would laugh at them even if they did.

0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 03:22 pm
Tell me if I'm right about this, doglover and Bi. Has Johnson's body been recovered yet? I am getting mixed messages on the news. You know, perhaps I am a little paranoid about this beheading bit, but I do wonder if the stuff is staged sometimes. I guess, in some cases, it pays to be paranoid. I'm even highly suspect about the guys who want to give a hurricane cut to my palm trees. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 03:31 pm
the last I read they did not have the body, which contradicts the original story which stated they killed the terrorists responsible when they discovered them disposing of the body.

There could be more recent news but that's the last I read.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 03:36 pm
I didn't think so. One thing for certain, that elaborate tatoo on the man's arm would be easily identifiable. Wonder if anything we see if for real anymore.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 03:38 pm
Have I noticed what?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 03:39 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Have I noticed what?

now that's a telling post.....
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 03:39 pm
doglover wrote:
IMO, the 24 hour cable networks need to stop covering these abductions and beheadings ad nauseum. If they did, I think you would see the rash of beheadings stop.

I don't think beheadings will ever be foder for comics BPB...and I don't think people would laugh at them even if they did.

I completely agree.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 03:43 pm
I would like to agree....but I do not....
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 03:44 pm
I noticed lots of things, particularly England stuffing the Croats.

But if you ask a question, you should in that question give some guide as to the nature of the question. Smile
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 03:47 pm
I profusely apologize for my grammatical error. Please take a second look at my post and notice I have replaced the period at the end of the first sentence with a question mark.

I assume this will make my post clear. :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 03:50 pm
I learned that lesson the hard way, Steve. Musicians tend to be different in their approach to subject matter. Tried to find a thread that I had posted on global freezing, and forgot how I had titled that. You Brits just cut to the chase.

Now here's something that I've noticed. It's happy hour here in Florida..See yawl later.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 03:55 pm
I assume his body has been found Letty. Here is a part of the article. I assume it to be true...but who really knows:

Johnson, a 49-year-old Lockheed Martin Corp. employee, was kidnapped in Riyadh last Saturday.

His body was found Friday in northern Riyadh soon after an Islamist Web site posted photographs of his decapitated body.

U.S. officials said the remains were "definitely" Johnson's.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/06/18/saudi.kidnap/
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 04:02 pm
OK bpb

what was the question?

Letty happy hour in Florida sounds great. Half price orange juice all round eh?

But not as happy as our boys in Lisbon right now!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 04:10 pm
doglover wrote:
I assume his body has been found Letty. Here is a part of the article. I assume it to be true...but who really knows:

Johnson, a 49-year-old Lockheed Martin Corp. employee, was kidnapped in Riyadh last Saturday.

His body was found Friday in northern Riyadh soon after an Islamist Web site posted photographs of his decapitated body.

This report is incorrect, the body has not been found.

There is still much fog around this whole story ergo the conflicting reports.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:34 pm
Hi Ho, Steveirino, perhaps we should all visit the festivities at Stonehenge. The summer solstice beckons.

Hmmm. Bi, and doglover. May I stray and say that all I can hear at this point is the black hole in Bflat?

Resisting the urge to say, " All the world's a stage."

I'm sorry, folks. I'm much too mellow to wonder. What a price Lockheed must pay for those they sent to save the day.

Better stop now, Bi, or I'll highjack your thread, and that's unforgivable.

Think I'll do it anyway:

A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square Lyrics

That certain night, the night we met,
There was magic abroad in the air.
There were angels dining at the Ritz,
And a nightingale sang in Berkeley Square.

I may be right, I may be wrong,
But I'm perfectly willing to swear
That when you turned and smiled at me,
A nightingale sang in Berkeley Square.

The moon that lingered over Londontown
Poor puzzled moon, he wore a frown.
How could he know that we two were so in love?
The whole darn world seemed upside down.

The streets of town were paved with stars,
It was such a romantic affair.
And as we kissed and said goodnight,

~interlude~

When dawn came stealing up, all gold and blue
To interrupt our rendez-vous,
I still remember how you smiled and said,
"Was that a dream? Or was it true?"

Our homeward step was just as light
As the dancing of Fred Astaire,
And like an echo far away
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:36 pm
Brand X wrote:
doglover wrote:

This report is incorrect, the body has not been found.

There is still much fog around this whole story ergo the conflicting reports.

Wow Brand X...thanks for setting me straight. Maybe somebody should tell Faux News cause they are reporting the body had been found (that was Saturday). Confused
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:39 pm
Ahhh

That was nice Letty. What was it all about?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:45 pm
It was all about escaping, Steve. I'm good at that. In Florida, I can't. Here I can.

Now back to Bi and his squinney deprivation.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 03:28 pm
Well, bear, you were right: even here no-one responded to the fact that the Korean was really beheaded.
0 Replies