Want Some Help in Finding the Perfect Dog for You?

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:46 pm
Here's a great website for potential dog owners. It asks a number of questions concerning your living conditions and lifestyle. I then generates a list of dog breeds that might be suitable for you:

Link to Select a Pet

When I answered the questions, they were right on target. One of the breeds they suggested is a Boston Terrier, which is on the top of my "want list" were I to consider getting a dog.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,058 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Peace and Love

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:54 pm
Hi Phoenix --

I took the test... and it came out "Border Collie".... which is the breed that we have...

At least now I know that I have the proper home for my dog...

fun test...

Very Happy
0 Replies

Sublime

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:06 pm
Boston Terrier too!
I came up with Boston Terrier too, followed by Italian Greyhound.

Maybe I need to re-evaluate my dog-dom, my 5 dogs don't fit this model!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:10 pm
Aw, keep the pooches. I kinda figured that they were "grandfathered" in! Very Happy

By the way, welcome to Able2Know!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:12 pm
I got boston terrier, basset, whippet and american bulldog. All pretty good choices for me, but I have a boxer. I think that I'm too mellow for them to tag me with a boxer, but she's patient with me
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:21 pm
they came up with :
Quote:
CAVALIER KING CHARLES SPANIEL
AUSTRALIAN TERRIER
COCKER SPANIEL
SCOTTISH TERRIER

for me. All cute dogs but not really me. I'm not a fan of terriers, and Cav's are just a bit too dim-witted. Which leaves Cocker Spaniels. Maybe, but I really prefer foxy looking dogs. Ok, if it wasn't for the looks, I'd get a Cocker. Maybe.

I'll keep my foxy duo.
0 Replies

Sublime

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:42 pm
Foxy dogs
My favorite "foxy" looking dogs are Basenji's and Shiba Inu's.

I am going to own a Basenji in the future.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:42 pm
I like basenjis
0 Replies

Sublime

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:52 pm
Basenji's aren't for everyone.

They have some cat-like behaviors, very clean and very clever.

They can be strong willed, and it takes a strong owner to be in the "Alpha" role.

They have health concerns to be aware of: kidney dysfunction in older dogs and PRA (progressive retinal atrophy).

I don't think there are many Basenji's in obedience competition. =)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:55 pm
I like cats and I like personality. I'd like to see a sharpe-basenji mix... that'd be cool.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 10:11 pm
Well, it was fun, but I tried every combination I could reasonably think of to get the website to recommend the breed of dog I love. The closest they could come to was a bearded collie. I don't want a bearded collie. I think the website never recommends Chow Chows, which is too bad, because they are fantastic pets. Once you've had a Chow Chow, you'll never go back to a regular dog dog.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 10:13 pm
Hi Piffka -- the website was originating in Australia.... are Chows common in Australia???

Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 10:21 pm
I wondered about that, maybe not, but there were Keeshonds listed.

Chows are incredibly loving, playful to the point of being silly, cuddly like a cat, and also very quiet. They love to walk and believe (incorrectly) that they are the fastest animals on the planet. Properly trained they can get along with everything from cats to horses. Their main drawback is their hair, which needs to be brushed, but it is so unbelievably soft and beautiful, it is worth it. They are also very clean about themselves and about their toilet duties.

OK, I'll stop now! Can you tell that I like the breed??
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 10:23 pm
Hi Piffka -- I forced the test to come up with a Chow Chow....

townhouse
semi-rural
medium yard
mostly secure
30 minutes exercise
20-40 hrs alone
no invalids
more than 60 years old owner
no children
not very active owner
moderately active dog
large size
more than $15 for food
medium coat
2.5 hrs grooming
defend property

Very Happy
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 10:25 pm
Well, I cant currently have a dog but, I do have quite a few types I would like to have if I could have one again sometime...those didnt come up. I think its more due to not being able to have one now and all that though.
When I started changing things around to if I was here and had this...well
Pyrenean Mountain Dog
very nice looking dog...I happen to love Newfoundlands so...this is kinda nice to move down to Smile
0 Replies

Sublime

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 10:30 pm
Ooohhh....I love the BMD's and Newf's. Purely by looks only, the black and white Newfs are stunning, IMHO. They look like a big Panda!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 10:32 pm
hummm...Panda looking Newfs??????????

I now think I shall have a new obsession....

<faint>

Thanks Sublime! Smile
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 10:43 pm
Thanks and yay for you PaL. A semi-rural townhouse? Huh? Where'd I find THAT! Certainly not around here. Chows aren't large either -- the females are between 40-50 pounds. I hope that didn't take you very long, Peace, but I appreciate it. At least we know now that they have Chows in OZ.

Quinn -- Sublime -- Chow Chows look like Pandas! My first one started out being named Panda Bear... but I changed it to Black Pansy, or Pan for short.

I saw a woman walking two Newfy's and carrying a Cairn Terrier puppy where I walk. My gosh did she have her hands full. Her younger Newfy laid down when my girls came up -- hoping they'd play with him. Very cute... but about three times as big.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 10:59 pm
Hi Piffka -- I was kinda surprised at some of those answers, too! No, it didn't take too long... I was kinda bored and was looking for something to do!

Hi quinn -- I also belong to a discussion site where we all own Border Collies and many of the people at that site also have Pyr's (Great Pyrenees Dogs). They are being bred to guard livestock. My cyber-friend, who raises Border Collies, lives on a big ranch and she uses her Pyr's to guard the sheep. When 'Lady' had her little Pyr puppies, my friend tried not to handle the puppies too much and when the puppies were about 4 or 5 weeks old, she put a lamb in the pen with the puppies. Her Pyr's have a really strong guard instinct. They snooze during the day and walk the fenceline all night. I'm with you, I would love to have a Pyr. Mine wouldn't be a guard dog, though. Mine would be a house pet!

Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 11:05 pm
I'm really surprised that an owner over 60 would be suggested for a chow, they love kids. Mine adore their "cousins" and abandon us when they come over to visit. I've sort of determined that once I reach a certain age I'll need to have a smaller dog, one I could pick up if I had to.

I'd sort of like a Westie... I've heard good things about them and they're small. I've always liked terriers. That Cairn Terrier was so cute!
0 Replies