Help!

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2015 11:30 am
Hey, basically, i sent a girl a message on facebook after having liked her for several months, we were already friends on facebook. Both of us are the quiet and shy type. Anyway, i sent her a message regarding homework on a Sunday to which she replied the same day. I then asked her about her subjects which she replied on the following Thursday after i sent her another message on the Thursday morning, at the time she did not have messenger. Anyway i replied to her once she replied to me about her subjects and she ended with a 'what about you?' question and smiley face. I replied but she has not 'seen' it yet. Sad I don't know what to do as she know does not make eye contact with me where as she had done on a number of occasions before the messages were exchanged. I don't know whether to send her another message, bearing in mind this was in Jan and its now March. I know i should speak to her in person but i don't know her well enough and i don't want to embarrass her etc. What should i do? I really like her but i am not sure what to do for the best! Please help, regards John
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,166 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2015 11:51 am
I am so pleased that I grew up in an era where people actually had to communicate with each other without the 'aid' of electronic technology.

I'm also glad that British schools at that time used to have 'Country Dancing' on the timetable, as that forced everyone to make an absolute fool of themselves whilst holding on to a member of the opposite sex and swinging them round.
By the time we progressed to the dizzy heights of 'The Sailor's Hornpipe', or 'In and Out The Windows', nobody cared any more and I could actually be in the same room with females without throwing up, and vice versa.

I have no idea as to how to advise you on this, as your world is totally alien to me. I think they should have social interaction lessons in all schools, so the next generation can some day get round to marrying and breeding the following generation without dying in the process.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2015 11:52 am
@john12345678,
You have to take a small amount of risk..and stop this insanity. she would like to be friends. so get off your butt and talk to her in person. What's the fuss? She won't walk away from you. what on earth can be in fear of ...especially when she's already indicated to you that she would like to be your friend. That's not exactly a marriage proposal.

It seems to me that the more technology this generation has at its disposal, the more removed youth are to isolation.

This generation has nothing to fear from the dangers of global warming. It will never exist long enough due to social dysfunctionality.
jespah

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2015 12:08 pm
@Ragman,
I don't know that it's tech as much as tech is enabling this behavior. It's also, these days, that there's a push for everyone to be all or nothing. You are in love in 6th grade, ferchrissakes. In 1972, when I was in 6th grade, it was called liking someone. It wasn't marriage or forever or commitment or whatever.

I think this generation is also growing up with hesitation as their world has always had HIV in it (although it's not the first group to have this; the latter Gen-Y crowd does as well).

Finally, we also know that the people who come here for advice are self-selecting. At least they see that there's an issue.

I'm with the two fellas.

Go up to her and say hi. If you need a script, here's one.

"Hi, Susie (or whatever her name is). I was wondering, did you get the algebra (or insert some other difficult class you share) homework? I thought it was kind of hard. I hope we don't get any of it this weekend. See ya!"

Spread that out in between her saying hello back and answering you, etc. Respond differently if the mood strikes you and it makes sense in the context of the conversation.

Keep it light. This is a friendly conversation, nothing more. Just, be nice.

That should not scare you.
0 Replies