Minimum wage - should there be any / how high should it be?

TradingWise

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 04:16 am
nimh wrote:
Oh, update: in Holland, the minimum wage is 7-8 Euro/hour (9$ at current exchange rate) - before taxes. (Minimum wage earners pay taxes too.)

So net it would probably be, I dunno - <guessing> - some 6 euro / 7-7,5 US$ an hour?

Actually, the minium wage in the Netherlands corresponds to age. The current minium wage in Euro's is shown in the following table:

http://www.studieinfo.nl/minimumloon/ (before benefit payments and taxes)

At the age of 16 I worked at the local supermarket for about three Euro's an hour. More than the minium wage and just fine for me at that time.

My opinion about the minium wage is that it causes bad employees to hire illegal workers which will mean deteriorating working conditions for workers and less employment because of higher labour costs.

I agree with OCCOM BILL that the government could better provide medical insurance, food and shelter when needed which will still maintain the incentive to work for better living standards (get your own place, luxury goods, etc).
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 05:15 am
cicerone, its those people's choice to work in the food industry.

I can't afford to live in CA so I don't live in CA.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 09:42 am
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 10:38 am
C.I., there is so much disinformation in that piece I won't even attempt to refute it. It should be an embarrassment to the writer, however.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 10:42 am
That' piece really just goes all over the place.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2013 12:40 am
I didn't want to start a new thread but I did want to share this

roger

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2013 02:03 am
@hingehead,
That's good. Also funny.
0 Replies

Abishai100

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 11:02 pm
@nimh,
Governments are obligated to assess and analyze how social planning is coordinated with cost-benefit analysis. Many ethnic minorities seek employment in America believing there is a minimum wage security blanket that motivates their daunting search.

Living in America, I know that the same culture that offers libertine creativity lifestyle avatars such as the eco-consciousness superhero Captain Planet is in some way politically responsible for creating psychologically balanced social security programs such as minimum wage guarantees.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 12:20 am
@Abishai100,
Your first paragraph is racist bullshit. "Minorities" in your post shows you're a racist pig.
roger

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 01:28 am
@cicerone imposter,
Can't follow your reasoning here.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 05:14 am
@roger,
Not surprising.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 11:23 am
@Abishai100,
Abishai100 wrote:

... psychologically balanced social security programs such as minimum wage guarantees.

This sounds like a new one to me. When did the Social Security program become part of the minimum wage situation?
0 Replies

directiontrader

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 02:39 am
@nimh,
Every employee should have paid as par with their ability, efficiency, skill and quality. There should not be any low or high wage. Every one should get the wage according their ability.
directiontrader

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 02:43 am
@nimh,
People should get wages according to their ability, efficiency and skill.
hingehead

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 07:01 am
@directiontrader,
Well that would really **** right off most CEOs
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 11:18 am
@directiontrader,
Ability, efficiency and skill are very subjective parameters. Many CEO's get the title, but not the performance expected. There are all levels of competency in all classes of jobs, and some times it's the luck of the draw in timing and skills.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 11:37 am
@directiontrader,
directiontrader wrote:

Every one should get the wage according their ability.

You mean "their ability" within their specific field?

You don't mean that lettuce pickers should receive the same wage as an orthopedic surgeon,, do you?
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 11:38 am
I believe WA State has the highest minimum wage in the United States. It is $9.19 an hour, just don't quote me on that. The city of Sea-Tac is in the process of passing a $15 minimum wage. That will come back to bite them.
0 Replies