Saddam claims that UN inspectors have "hidden agendas."

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 08:34 am
Diane
In reading the article you posted several questions come to mind.
Is the responsibility for the plight that the Afghans find themselves in the result of our war in Afghanistan? Or are they the result of 20 years of fighting and the drought?
Would conditions have been any better if we never arrived on the scene and the Taliban were still on the scene? Were the refugees any better of where they were and if so why they flood back in without clothes on their back and food to eat? I am sure they are aware of the existing harsh weather conditions.
Could it possibly be because they were expecting the Americans to take care of all their needs?
Yes, we should do what we can but instead of being chided for not doing enough we should be cheered for doing all we can.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 10:02 am
au1929 wrote:
Could it possibly be because they were expecting the Americans to take care of all their needs?

Yes, it could be possible--and would certainly cost us less than we've already spent on the run up to a war of dubious provenance.

Quote:
Yes, we should do what we can but instead of being chided for not doing enough we should be cheered for doing all we can.

All that we can? I rather doubt that you can support such a statement--i'd say we've done damned little for them.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 11:29 am
Setanta

Quote:
All that we can? I rather doubt that you can support such a statement--i'd say we've done damned little for them.

Is that a supportable fact or an opinion?
I think what happens is that when uncle arrives everyone sits back and looks to be taken care of. You want a land of milk and honey than work for it. It is not the function of the taxpayers of the US to support the world.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 11:50 am
Well, Au, i'd just asked you if your statement to the effect that we've done all that we can is supportable fact or opinion. Look's like a classic "mexican stand-off," although i asked you first (so there). Given that we bombed the bejezus out of the capital (although given it's prior condition, that was largely an exercise in rubble-shifting), it would not be untoward to help them through a difficult winter. In any event, i was responding to your previous contention that we've done all we can. I don't believe that, absent some form of proof.

The fact that we are ostensibly fighting a war against terrorism (although it's hard to tell with the administration's current fixation) strongly suggests to me that we show the same open-handed compassion in the form of aid to Afghanistan that we show toward, for example, the Israeli military. We are a target for terrorists to a great extent because we are seen as rich, and giving our money to those who oppress and kill muslims. It would certainly help our case if we could be seen to genuinely help muslims who need the help. Tell me, what crops do you propose the Afghans grow, right now, which will feed them right away? The aid they need is to get through the winter, and to start the "bootstrapping" process. Starving people make a pretty poor work force.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 11:54 am
Tell me, what crops do you propose the Afghans grow, right now, which will feed them right away?
um Poppies perhaps? a simple cash crop with high profit return.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 12:07 pm
dys, Isn't that exactly what they are doing? c.i.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 12:19 pm
yeppers
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 12:20 pm
Setanta
As I said I have no Idea how much aid the US is giving the Afghanis but I am feel confident we are supplying as much as we can.
As for the crops being grown. There was an article in time quite some time ago regarding that subject. The crop of choice in Afghanistan has been for many years the poppy. It is the major cash crop in Afghanistan not the growing of food products. While they are busy suppling poison to the US and the rest of the world. The rest of the world as thanks is charged with feeding them.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 01:48 pm
Well, they're not growin' any poppies at the moment, so, why not feed 'em until spring, and give them what they need to put an edible crop in the ground--if they blow it thereafter, tough titty . . .

Generally speaking, the principle of innocent until proven guilty applies in the US. So, until the war widows (largest demographic description in the population) are proven to be poppy growers and dope smugglers, it might not do our image in the muslim world any harm to feed them and their children. Course, dope peddlars are just like those bad ol' commies of days gone by, huh? Nuke 'em, pave the real estate, and let god sort it out . . .
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 02:17 pm
from CNN:Opium poppies provide a quick cash crop for farmers who are often struggling to survive.

The Taleban banned poppy cultivation in 2000. amd the UN and US drug agencies say that this meant an almost total halt to opium growing in the 2001 season.

The compensation offered to farmers is far smaller than opium profits

It was the US-led war that ousted the Taleban last year, that prompted Afghan farmers to plant the opium poppy again over tens of thousands of hectares.

PBS: reported that the increase of poppy harvesting was in large part due to lack of infrastructure (passable roadways) to allow trucking of farm produce to markets whereas opium could be marketed by donkey.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 03:23 pm
Setanta

The article in time I seem to remember mentioned that the Taliban restricted the growth because of the supply on hand and to keep the price up or something of that nature.
In addition at that time there was time to plant and harvest. Of course they went for the cash crop. To hell with their starving brethren. Let the US worry about that.
As for our image in the Muslim world. We infidels could build them a palace and it would still not improve.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 03:25 pm
Can't agree with your last statement, Boss--that would only apply to the fanatics in the muslim world, the "Jerry Falwells" and "Pat Robertsons" of Islam.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 03:33 pm
"The motives for the Taliban's ban on cultivation remain unknown, with explanations ranging from sudden religious scruples about the drug trade to a desire to maximize profits on existing stockpiles. Previously, the Taliban had taxed the annual opium harvest as a substantial source of revenue and permitted the export of drugs abroad, though it banned their use at home. "

Afghanistan: Opium Poppy Crisis Looms With No Solution In Sight
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 03:45 pm
Setanta

Quote:
Can't agree with your last statement, Boss--that would only apply to the fanatics in the Muslim world, the "Jerry Falwells" and "Pat Robertsons" of Islam.

That is meat for a different discussion. However, you are correct in that we have our own home grown fanatics.
0 Replies