MP3 player comparisons

timberlandko

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 07:12 am
Hey, howdy, Kail, and welcome aboard. Good point, if you've already got a bunch of MP3 CDs. Which CD/MP3 player do you have? Another question, if you don't mind, what Ripping Program do you favor?

timber
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 08:02 pm
I use my pocket pc and also my Rio-Volt MP3\CD player.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 12:02 am
I went to Best Buy's and was in the checkout when I noticed I didn't have my wallet. I'll go next weekend. I'm buying a 20 GB one that's only slightly larger than a pack of cigarettes.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 12:18 am
Are you getting the Creative Labs 20GB? That was the one that had the most competitive prices online.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 12:24 am
Creative Labs Zen or something. It's a square one and much smaller than the cd walkman shaped ones.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 12:50 am
http://www.nomadworld.com/products/Jukebox_Zen/images/Jukebox_Zenpix2.jpg

I could never understand why someone would want to carry around CD's with MP3 anyway. You can compile your own "best of" from your CD's on the MP3 unit.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 12:53 am
Epinions - $299.00 is the lowest price:

Epinions review and prices on Creative Labs Zen MP 3 Player
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 06:33 am
That's how much it was at Best Buys.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 10:00 am
I sometimes find when shopping something online (and I only spent a few minutes here), one finds that a brick-and-mortar store has the same price. Then it just depends on sales tax and shipping.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 10:04 am
Costco has a good price on the Nomad with 20GB storage:

Costco - Creative Labs Nomad 20GB
0 Replies

silver nekode

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:42 pm
www.apple.com/ipod

i fail to see the purpose in buying an mp3 player when you still have to use cd's. an ipod plugs into firewire or usb2.0, so its faster to transfer music than to burn a cd. it can double as a removeable harddrive, and being as you can get up to 30 gig, there isnt going to be a problem with space. it has a built in battery, with a charger, so rather than buying new batteries every week, you have to replace it maybe once a year. most importantly, games! hehe, it comes with some okie games, but im sure before too long they will have incredible games that you can add, even if apple doesnt make them, someone else will. oh and one more thing, you're going to spend three hundred dollars anyway on a removeable media mp3 player, for 300 you can get a 10 gig ipod, for 100 more you get 15, and for 600 dollars you can get a 30 gig ipod.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 10:30 am
iPod's are sweeet!

If you're after an excellent MP3/WMA/CD player I'd recommend a RioVolt, but seriously you all know you want an ipod.. Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 11:07 am
Nah, I'm happy with my Nomad Zen.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 11:19 am
Ah..the Nomad Zen looks pretty slick too, indeed. The 20GB model (300 bucks) is the same price as a 10GB ipod, and the 60GB Zen is $400 compared to a 30GB ipod for $600!

Thanks for the tip Craven. I was thinking of getting an ipod, but me's seen the light now.. Smile

One detail about the Nomad Zen stood out to me...
Quote:
You can charge the NOMAD Jukebox Zen USB2.0 via the USB port too

Is this done on other MP3 players as well?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 11:40 am
Charge via USB? Like the battery? Hmm. I never did that, my laptop doesn't have USB 2.0

But nomad is definitely the way to go in terms of price.

It is for PCs and is a much better deal than an ipod. But be warned that the software (for the computer side, not on the player) is pretty shoddy. It works but is not as intuitive as it should be. You should be able to figure it out quickly but it'll be a bit of a pain.

I love it, carry it everywehere and use it for music and file backups.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 12:39 pm
Lots of devices are powered or charged by USB, whether USB 1 or 2; there is a 5 volt bias current present. For that reason, a number of USB hubs have separate power supplies. The amperage of the computer-supplied 5 volt is pretty low, and a couple devices using the USB power can take all there is.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 12:41 pm
Yeah, but charged as well? I can't imagine why someone would do that.
0 Replies