MP3 player comparisons

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 02:59 pm
What hard drive based MP3 player do you recommend?

If not hard drive how about something that plays MP3 cds?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 13,502 • Replies: 36
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 02:31 pm
I'm not gonna have a valid opinion here, I'm afraid. I use just about "any old media player". I'm not impressed by the audio quality of MP3 or of most computers. However, a computer CAN form the base of a respectable music system. A lot can be done with a laptop and very high quality headphones, I'm sure. I've never really tried. I just prefer conventional CD format and full-sized audio system for music.

timber
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 02:38 pm
I agree about the quality. But I'm talking about portable players and in those situations the enviromen usually isn't that great so quality isn't as important as practicality for me.

With a portable mp3 player you can have thousands of songs on the player without having to carry CDs.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 02:57 pm
OK ... in that case, I think I'd favor one that could double as a removeable data drive. Archos comes to mind. Seems to have good reviews.

timber
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 03:46 pm
I'll have a look. I intend to buy one with at least 30 GB.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 02:29 pm
Go to J & R Music (lots of free shipping available)

http://www.jandr.com/

The storage capacity is just about the only difference other than picking one that you like the controls. The only quality difference would also be the durability. I've read reviews of the picture quality of DVD players and I doubt that anyone could tell the most expensive from the least expensive, although progressive scan does improve the performance of an analog picture.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 02:30 pm
I think thats www.jandr.com

I go there a lot.

timber
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 02:34 pm
I get a SONY personally even though the RIO's are well priced and are very good.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 02:43 pm
Funny that this tpoic should become active again today. I'd planned to buy it in a few hours.

I'll probably go for a 30 GB one with a hartd drive. If not I'll just get a mp3 CD player.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 02:48 pm
I think I'll get one like this
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 02:54 pm
Good choice ... just remember "Skip Protection" does not equal "Skip Proof" if the unit is significantly jostled. Vigorous jogging will likely be a less than satisfactory expeience, for example. I've always had pretty good luck with Creative Product, and their build quality, support, and service are among the better examples of same. Let us know how it works out.

timber
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 03:04 pm
16 MB is a few songs, and hard drives don't skip that much. If I get the hard drive one I doubt it will skip.

The CD ones are cheaper and have unlimited storage (just burn a new CD) but they skip.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 04:55 pm
Craven, unless you are jogging or bicyling with the unit, skip protection isn't imperative. 16MB is plenty of skip protection for either. Looks like a nice unit but if it's going into the service with you, I'd be very careful with it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 04:58 pm
Here's Epinion's rating and an even lower price in the shopping section (but you will get free shipping unless it's going to Brazil).

EPINION RATING AND COMPARISON SHOPPING
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 05:02 pm
I just checked Consumer Report and they basically give the 20GB of the same basic model an extremely high rating.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 05:45 pm
Hey, LW ... didn't you know CDK's employment horizon broadened?

There's a whole thread on that here somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look it up. Suffice it to say CDK "Aint in the Army now".

timber
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 07:13 pm
So I missed something about CDK's future? Don't tell me he found an abandoned DeLorean.

What's new with CDK -- I must have been sleeping. Did the hawks on A2K cause him to reconsider being tossed in with all those militantheads?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 07:21 pm
He got a a way-cool brand new balls-to-the-wall laptop. It came with a civilian IT job. He's happy.
The thread is in Work, I think .. something about "to those who were in the military or something.

timber
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 07:52 pm
<timber puffs and pants laboriously>

Here, I went and got it for ya

Craven's new Job

timber
0 Replies

Kail

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 06:34 am
I have an MP3 CD player and it works great, was really cheap too. I see no reason to carry around a portable harddrive if I've already got most of my MP3s on CDs.
0 Replies