SO WHATs WRONG WITH NET NEUTRALITY??

Thu 26 Feb, 2015 09:44 am
Seems like all of the telecom industry is lobbying Congress to vote against net neutrality on the ides that it would "Stymie creativity"
Bullshit, most all of the developments of web content has come from the 19 year olds and bored housewives whove started multi million dollar enterprise selling junk to the rest of us.

Wanna buy an INVICTA watch? The face is as big as a pizza

View best answer, chosen by farmerman
edgarblythe
  Selected Answer

Thu 26 Feb, 2015 10:24 am
For sure. If the internet became the way they want it you would see a lot less of me on line.
farmerman

Thu 26 Feb, 2015 10:25 am
@edgarblythe,
its another "squeeze the public" ploy to extract more of our hard earned cash.

ossobuco

Thu 26 Feb, 2015 11:50 am
@farmerman,
and another addition to the growing number of class distinctions re available information
farmerman

Thu 26 Feb, 2015 02:44 pm
@ossobuco,
Pisses me off. eve already got the slowest and crappiest internet on the planet and now ere supposed to want to get hosed .

I think we need to starve COMCAST.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Thu 26 Feb, 2015 03:06 pm
@farmerman,
It's John Oliver's fault...
farmerman

Thu 26 Feb, 2015 05:24 pm
@rosborne979,
he needed to keep that shorter , .
NUTFLIX?
rosborne979

Thu 26 Feb, 2015 05:38 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
he needed to keep that shorter , .
Maybe so, but it worked far better than I expect he ever imagined. Anyway, I thought it was a pretty funny bit. And well argued as well.

And it's interesting that a good comedy presentation can have such a large political effect.
farmerman

Thu 26 Feb, 2015 07:01 pm
@rosborne979,
Most of it was really good, when he got on the soap box, he shoulda kept it more loaded with his style of sarcasm instead of that ype of feigned sincerity.

He could have stopped with being "Fucked over by ...." point instead of "net neutrality.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 26 Feb, 2015 08:04 pm
Just read that congress is exploring ways to water down today's decision.
RABEL222

Thu 26 Feb, 2015 11:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
What else can you expect from purchased politicians who are looking forward to 2016 political contributions (graft) made legal by the supreme court, more politicians purchased by big business.
0 Replies

jcboy

Sat 28 Feb, 2015 11:34 am
@farmerman,
I finally read Gizmodo's collection of negative responses to the FCC net neutrality ruling. When Verizon, Comcast, and Ted Cruz are crying, something very good must've happened. Cool
farmerman

Sat 28 Feb, 2015 12:50 pm
@jcboy,
heh heh.

How dare these douche bag cable execs assert that net neutrality will "Stymie creativity". The entire net is built on people doing creative things and then service providers only trying to figure out how to cash in .

Its like HD tv, cable companies get the HD signal via satellite, dilute it for their basic service contracts, and then charge us for bringing it back up .

I predict that if the cabe guys ever get their noses under the tent, we will have bootleg service from Canada and Mexico.
0 Replies

jespah

Sat 28 Feb, 2015 09:00 pm
http://theoatmeal.com/blog/net_neutrality
CalamityJane

Sat 28 Feb, 2015 09:33 pm
@rosborne979,
John Oliver is great! He should replace John Stewart ....
He told it like it is!! Not only with cable companies like Cox, Time Warner and Comcast. We're seeing this monopolizing in the airline industry, grocery chains, utilities and phone companies.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 1 Mar, 2015 11:45 am
@jespah,
Liked that..
0 Replies

revelette2

Tue 3 Mar, 2015 11:41 am
OK, I admit, I don't know what Net Neutrality is or who it helps or who hurts or anything which is why I have remained mum on the subject. So, what is it?
rosborne979

Tue 3 Mar, 2015 02:17 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
OK, I admit, I don't know what Net Neutrality is or who it helps or who hurts or anything which is why I have remained mum on the subject. So, what is it?

It's the idea that the flow of data over the internet should be neutral with respect to its content, source or destination.

For example, if you pay your provider $50/month for a 50Mbps internet connection, and you think you should be able to use your 50Mbps for anything you want and not have someone "upstream" from you deciding to allow you only 10% of your bandwidth for NetFlix and 90% for other stuff, then you are FOR Net Neutrality.
revelette2

Tue 3 Mar, 2015 03:08 pm
@rosborne979,
OK, thanks, guess I agree with the author of this thread.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 3 Mar, 2015 08:19 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
For example, if you pay your provider $50/month for a 50Mbps internet connection, and you think you should be able to use your 50Mbps for anything you want and not have someone "upstream" from you deciding to allow you only 10% of your bandwidth for NetFlix and 90% for other stuff, then you are FOR Net Neutrality.

NetFlix would not be constrained though. They would pay the service providers for more rapid access to their customers.

The people that Net Neutrality truly helps are those who use lots of bandwidth without being able to pay for it -- downloads of pirated movies over Bit Torrent for example.