djjd62

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 05:42 pm
@msolga,
mostly soups or stews

a couple of chicken breasts or turkey winglets (with skin and bone), onion, potato, carrot, parsnip, turnip, basil and bay leaf
can low sodium chicken broth, and small can low sodium v8
about half way through remove the chicken/turkey remove skin and bone and return meat to pot
i'll sometimes add some frozen peas near the end, and i'll sometimes leave out the potato and add some basmati rice

made a really tasty beef and barley soup last week, and a very nice turkey soup the other day

0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 02:10 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks, Beth. What kind of beef ribs did he use? For braising, I'm guessing short ribs ...
ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 03:00 pm
@mckenzie,
Truthfully, I'm not a great beef part identifier. I'll just say they looked like they could have come from mastadon. The rack just barely fit into a restaurant size roasting pan - the pan wouldn't have fit into my home oven.
mckenzie

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 03:34 pm
@msolga,
msolga, I recently replaced my oval 6-quart Rival Crock-Pot Smart-Pot with a newer model, a Crock-Pot Smart-Pot, model SCVC604H-SS, because of the digital timer and the programmable cooking time. Jarden is the manufacturer. "Crock-Pot" is now one of their brands, as is "Rival". I prefer the oval pots to the round, more versatile, I think. It's certainly large enough for a pot roast or a chicken and veggies.
mckenzie

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 03:41 pm
@ehBeth,
Hmmm ... long rack, long bones, sounds like prime ribs not short ribs then. The recipe looks yummy!
ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 03:44 pm
@mckenzie,
The chef did say that the recipe was quite forgiving in terms of the cut of beef used - but he was using monster ribs - prime rib sounds right.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 12:40 am
@mckenzie,
Thanks, mckenzie. I don't know if that brand is readily available here (Oz) , but I like the idea of more accurate programmable cooking times. This gives me a better idea of what to look for. I like the oval ones, too. More versatile, as you say.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 11:49 pm
I have a really great roast recipe that I got from my boss.

1 large onion
1 pot roast
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 package powdered onion soup mix

Chop the onion up and cover the entire bottom of the crockpot. Place pot roast on the bed of onions and pour the can of cream of mushroom soup over the top. Sprinkle the powdered onion soup mix over the top of everything. Set on low for 10 hours.

When the roast is done remove it and add a bit of flour to the juices to make a great gravy.

It is the simplest recipe, but man does it taste great!
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 01:21 am
@Aldistar,
Aldistar,

Is that only a can of condensed soup or is it diluted with a can of water? And, what size is it the large can or the regular sized can?

If it is just a can of condensed soup, that provides enough liquid to braise the pot roast? Is the roast browned before going into the crockpot?
djjd62

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 12:34 pm
gotta big pot of chili on the go right now
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 01:14 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Aldistar,

Is that only a can of condensed soup or is it diluted with a can of water? And, what size is it the large can or the regular sized can?

If it is just a can of condensed soup, that provides enough liquid to braise the pot roast? Is the roast browned before going into the crockpot?

I've done the same recipe - it's a 10 oz can and do not add water. Yes, it provides enough liquid because of the natural juices in the roast, but if you want to add a bit of water (or red wine - yummy), do so. I also douse it liberally with Lee & Perrins.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 01:20 pm
@Mame,
Thanks Mame. Think I'll give it a try with some pork chops I'm buying.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 06:33 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
After the cooking demo, I talked to Chef Michael for a bit. I thought that a salad with fennel would really pop with the flavour of the beef ribs. He thought it was a good idea and gave me a couple of suggestions for other possible ingredients in that salad.

hehehehehe - on the website - a recommended side - fennel slaw !!!!

(my pal, Mab, noticed it Cool )
ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 06:47 pm
@ehBeth,
I think Bittman had a fennel celery thing going this last week...

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 06:50 pm
@ossobuco,
They are all so following my trail on this Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 06:52 pm
@ossobuco,
I went to the Linens N Things clear-out the other week. Sad they're closing down.

I treated myself to a 2009 page a day calendar there - Bittman's How to Cook Everything. It's going to be great to daydream over.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 06:57 pm
@ehBeth,
Nah, y'all following my trail but I was following others so never mind.

I too regret linens and things going out. Day-um.

Where else can I get hangers that hold skirts and pants in multiples?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 05:33 pm
this afternoon, into the 7 l crockpot

a chunk of side pork to get things started
4 crushed cloves of garlic
3 sliced onions
about a pound of skinless chicken thighs

after about half an hour

a bag of dry black-eyed peas
a bag of Lundberg's wild and brown rice mix
a small bottle of garden cocktail and another bottle of water