Baby Birds

Lisa28

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 02:35 pm
Edit: Moderator: Moved from Reference to Wilderness/Wildlife/Ecology

Hi, I just wanted to know about a nest of cardinals that I have found in my back yard. I wanted to know why the mother bird would push them out of the nest if it was her. I have been monitoring the nest for about 2weeks going from building it to the eggs hatching and I went outside this after noon and took a peak only to find the nest empty. After looking around for a few seconds I found the babies on the ground underneath the nest. I am not sure how they got there and now I am worried because I had to touch them to put them back in the nest. Help. What should I do? Will they survive? Will the mother or father bird come back and take care of them?
Thanks, Lisa
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,249 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 02:41 pm
http://www.chicagowilderness.org/wildchi/livingwild/wildinfant/bird/index.cfm

Quote:
It's a misconception that if you touch a baby animal, especially a bird, that the mother will abandon the infant for good. This is not the case, as birds in general have a poor sense of smell (except for vultures) and will not mind the fact that you have handled them. They will, however, be bothered by your presence around the babies.

Whew! Now I feel better. I always thought the same as you!

BTW. Welcome to A2K! Very Happy
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 02:51 pm
Tell me this. Do the parent birds wait until no one is around to push the babies out? Last Friday evening, in one of the birdhouses out back, we had a family of babies. They'd been there for a few weeks and had grown to the point of reaching out for the food instead of the mom or dad actually bringing it into the house. I'm outdoors most afternoons and evenings and had watched them from the moment the babies were hatched and started chirping. But by the time I got out there Saturday afternoon, the house was empty! The babies were gone, the parents were gone. I thought surely I'd get to see the big event but alas, I missed it! Is that the way it's planned? When no one is around?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 03:18 pm
Sometimes a foster parent breaks loose from the magnetic attraction of the bright-orange baby-bird beak and kicks the cowbird kid out.

Much more often, the cowbird kid (who has a bigger and more enchanting yellow beak than the natural hatchlings) kicks his foster siblings out before they are ready. Cowbirds in infancy are not big on sharing.

Adult cowbirds share only unilaterally.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 09:12 pm
I would contact a social service agency and explain to them what's going on. Tell them of the parents mistreatment. It could be the mother was tossed out of her nest as an infant and this has left emotional scars. Child abuse and abandonment shouldn't happen to a bird!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 01:41 pm
Nickfun--

Every Cowbird is born an orphan--by parental choice.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 04:31 pm
Correct Noddy but the Cowbird lays its eggs in the nest of a bird of a different species and that other species raises the bird to adulthood. Thus, though orphaned, they are adopted.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 04:48 pm
NickFun--

They are fostered, but genetics will out!
0 Replies

squirrels5

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 06:15 pm
flying the nest
I have had chestnut-backed chickadees nest in a birdhouse for two years. I actually got to see the fledglings leave the nest this year. I happened to be home, and watching. And once they were gone, they did not return to the nest, although the family still hangs around and eats from my feeders.
0 Replies

the Reverend

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 05:07 pm
Ungrateful sponges...
0 Replies