New York Times Link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 643 • Replies: 5
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 03:23 pm
Acquiunk, Everybody knew of the abuses at Abu Garaib; but it doesn't matter, because it's been approved from the very top. Bush keeps saying he's following US laws. He's having US laws changed to be interpreted the way he wants it like the evidence of WMDs in Iraq. They manipulate the definition of torture that only lawyers can interpret, and nobody else can follow. And we used to call Clinton "slick willy." ha ha ha....
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 07:58 pm
I think this is important because it bridges a gap. It is now known that the administration is Washington was seeking legal justification for torture. There is an abundance of evidence that the guards and interrogators were abusing prisoners. What was lacking was evidence that the middle layer, the US command knew and approved of it. Now we know they were told, by interrogators inside the prison, in writing, what was going on, and did nothing, which implies approval. What is beginning to form is a vague out line of a trail that leads from Abu Ghraib right to the top echelon of the administration. There is much more evidence that is needed before those links can be solidly demonstrated but I think a major crises for the US is developing. Very recently in other nations when such evidence was found, the top leadership was prosecuted and tried before international tribunals.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:21 pm
I doubt very much that anything close to prosecution of this administration will ever come about. Look at the other branches of government; they're not about to prosecute their own.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:28 pm
No, but people in Bosnia and Serbia were tried before international tribunals. It is unlikely that anyone in the US administration will be tried for this. But attempts could be made and it would further damage our standing and prestige when they are not. It would reinforce the impression that we regard ourselves as above the law and not subject to the same rules as everyone else.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:33 pm
I'll not hold my breath on that one! No head of state any place on this planet is brave enough to stick their necks out that far. Not the UN, the EU, or any other multinational organization - including the Geneva establishment (whatever that may be).
0 Replies