Why I don't buy many herbal supplements these days

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 03:45 pm
Based on the testing commissioned by his office, New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman said Tuesday he has sent letters to the four major store chains involved — GNC, Target, Walmart and Walgreens — demanding that they immediately stop selling adulterated or mislabeled dietary supplements.

The store chain with the poorest showing was Walmart, where only 4 percent of the products tested showed DNA from the plants listed on the labels.
http://www.chron.com/news/medical/article/NY-attorney-general-targets-popular-herbal-6058652.php#photo-7476767

roger

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 04:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
Wow! Four percent isn't that good. There are some I do use, including glucosamine. It has proven itself effective for my joints. Most have shown no value at all.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 04:02 pm
@roger,
Over the years I have used lots of them, but it is obvious we are being cheated by some of these people.
roger

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 04:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
Kind of like pharmaceutical companies, huh?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 04:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
The value of herbal supplements comes from the placebo effect. Don't knock the placebo effect, it can be very useful to raise the quality of life.

I don't think the fact these supplements are mislabeled is a big deal... in fact, inaccurate labels may be the very thing that make them effective.
roger

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 05:45 pm
@maxdancona,
Cool! You should show up here around 3:00 a.m., and knock yourself out.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 06:14 pm
@maxdancona,
Herbs properly used are not placebos.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 06:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
For now I still believe in Costco.

glucosamine
chondroitin
fish oil
Vitamin d and b-12
COQ10
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 06:33 pm
@maxdancona,
Plus, if you want to start a discussion on this, start your own ******* thread.
roger

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 06:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
Interesting. Of those six, I take three. Tried the COQ, but no apparent benefit.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 06:45 pm
I have used those, too. COQ10 I didn't use long enough to judge because I often can't buy everything I want to.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 06:55 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Interesting. Of those six, I take three. Tried the COQ, but no apparent benefit.

I felt like new man after 10 days. Starting statins killed me for some reason, COQ10 seemed to be the cure. Kirkland brand, as always.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 07:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
I used to mock those who take anything more than a multivitamin but time has changed my mind. I think that the only reason I function anywhere near as good as I do is because I take stuff over the counter and with little doctor enthusiasm. A drunk walk with my 120 lb Newf at night in Monterey late one foggy night messed up by knee so bad I could not hardly use it for 6 weeks. 6 months later I was not great at all, had a doc start talking about knee replacement. But then I remembered some miracle powder made out of seashells that costs 100DM/month in 1992 for three months that years before had fixed a hip problem in a young Newf, to the point that she lived deep into old age without a single further hip problem (and Newfs have a lot of hip problems) , Investigation lead to to glucosamine/chondroitin. Two weeks later I felt noticeably better, Three months later I was as good as new. That was over 15 years ago, and while my knees are destroyed I am still on them a lot, often for long periods of time while working. You can be damn sure I dont miss days of taking my Kirkland knee supplements!
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 07:23 pm
The only herbal supplements I ever use I buy in so-called 'health food' stores. I don't know if that makes them any more effective, but I wouldn't trust anything like that OTC at WalMart.
chai2

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 07:38 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

The only herbal supplements I ever use I buy in so-called 'health food' stores. I don't know if that makes them any more effective, but I wouldn't trust anything like that OTC at WalMart.

I only buy brands that were recommended to me by the nutritionist Wally and I go to.
He doesn't do it so we buy from him. Most of the stuff I buy online. There's only 2 I get from him for other reasons.

Jarrow is a good brand, for instance.

If I'm going to spend money on something, I'm going to get the best quality I can get, and use the experience of someone with a doctorate in the field, who has proven himself to us many times over.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 07:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Herbs properly used are not placebos.

St John Wort has been proven to in fact be even LESS effective as an antidepressant then placebo. In many independent academic studies not affiliated with pharmaceutical companies.

This article refers to a famous study that least says St John's wort is as effective as the placebo group.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/reading-between-the-headlines/201308/st-johns-wort-and-depression

Quote:
In addition, St. John's wort has a host of interactions with other drugs. So much so, that France has banned (link is external) the use of St. John's wort in all products and warnings of herb-drug interactions are listed in Japan, the UK and Canada (link is external), but not the US.

These aren't medically backwards countries. The U.S. on the other hand has problems with keeping its regulatory agencies well funded and capable of properly doing its job.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 08:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Plus, if you want to start a discussion on this, start your own ******* thread.

No need to swear, Edgar. You are allowed to be civil here.

The placebo effect is completely relevant in any discussion about the effectiveness of herbal supplements.

And your response is a little hypocritical. You inserted your pet issue into my thread on science vs. the American public. I responded reasonably. I explained to you why I didn't think it was relevant and and answered the questions.

I certainly didn't start swearing at you. And there is no reason for you to act this way.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 08:13 pm
@maxdancona,
I started this thread to discuss the dishonest supplement companies. If you want to call people fools for using them go elsewhere.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 08:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
Not here to discuss placebo.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 08:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
I cook with a lot of herbs and have for a long time, but I've got to get figure out how to keep them going in pots in the house - if possible - as I get less herby minded dealing with dried this and that. Um, a grow light in the "laundry room"?
But, officer..