So who is more healthy-frantic hand washer or dirt eater?

Linkat

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 08:50 am
I was listening on the radio and they were discussing how many more allergies we have; more people getting flus and other things. They were talking about how when they were younger they would eat dirt (which I did as a kid); eat boogers, etc. Now with hand sanitizers and so forth we are more sickly.

My personal experience - husband is a frantic hand washer and hand sanitizer. I do regularly wash my hands - ie after bathroom use and stuff like that; but am not obessive about it. He talks about it all the time - how important it is and so forth.

I have not had a sick day from work in over 3 years. I rarely even get colds. I don't think I had one this entire fall/winter. Sniffles a bit yes - but not even a real runny nose. He has several times just this winter season.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 562 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 09:26 am
@Linkat,
A correlation between hand washing and health isn't necessarily a measure of overall health. Probably some consistent (not constant) hand washing prevents some germs from colds and e.coli exposure. Basically, good habit...having a stronger immune system, good genes, moderate exercise and restfull sleep might determine better health.

On an interesting note after watching Ken Burns FDR biography on PBS, it was theorized that due to his isolation from the general public as a child and young adult, he may have not developed an immunity as did the general public to the disease that gave him polio.

"Eat a pound of dirt before you die"
0 Replies