I thought it was impossible...

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 01:47 pm
I remember trying to forgive my ex. I ended the relationship with him because I felt smothered, controlled, that he was extremely competitive etc. etc. It's a long and ugly story that I no longer feel the need to write about because it no longer fuels me with anger. Let's just say I was bitter, really really bitter. I avoided him, whenever I saw him on the street, a wave of anger would wash over me and I despised him. My friends didn't have a high opinion of him too. I went to counselling to deal with the hate, I read self-help books etc. etc. etc.... Absoluuuuutely nothing worked. Now it's important to mention that during all this time I never wanted to actually see him, EVER. I was going to avoid seeing him forever, waiting for a miracle, a day when I wouldn't feel that hate. When I was out of ideas, I did what everyone told me not to do. I got in contact with him after years of silence and of ignoring him.

We met up (oh my God I was terrified), and by this point years later, this guy who I hated so much that I'd developed a fear towards, was just a docile fellow, years older and more aware of his behaviour. We caught up, like old friends. No comparisons, no competition, nothing. When I mentioned how I felt about his actions, he did something I never expected. He apologised (!!!). We hung out for 3 hours and then he went home. Immediately I knew that I was freer (I say freer not free) because I'd faced a fear. I never worried about bumping into him again on the street. I had been convinced that this man was too stubborn to apologise. But maybe he apologised because I too was big enough to apologise, for ignoring him all those years after the break up.

A few weeks later (like I said the effects of forgiveness wasn't instant), I was feeling sorry for myself in my flat, getting ready to go out and I read a chapter in Pema Chódrón's book, then I felt a little better. Then I went out to meet my friends. I was the first to arrive that evening, I was sitting in a plaza waiting for everybody and I felt an immense sense of calm that I'd never felt before. Even though I didn't realise it at the time, that moment in the plaza was when I let go, because I've never felt angry at him since.

Your past will never go away; ever, but you can get over it by facing it. Granted I was lucky, but if I had never faced my fear, I'd still be angry today.

I still deal with resentment about other areas in my life, but I got over something I never though I would.

Now even though I said that self-help books never worked, I am going to contradict myself and say that there is one woman who to me is a hero. Her name is Pema Chódrón. She wrote a book called 'When things fall apart’, which has helped me so so much. She's a wonderful woman with an amazing life story. I have very few heroes in my life, and she's one of them. I'd love to be able to tell her!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,260 • Replies: 2
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 02:44 pm
You got an apology. Most folks don't even get that. And, besides, now you saw how pitiful he is - he has chosen his own path and it's quite different from what you imagined it would have been with you.

I had a similar experience. I forgave him because he was acting out exactly what he was. I just didn't see it for real at the time.

4 years later, WOW, I am glad I am out of that. I can smile because while there were some good times, he was never going to be my future.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad you are at peace. (I also read her works and it helped me.)
Paul Robert

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 04:32 am
@PUNKEY,
Thank you, and it's true. I was lucky to get an apology. I wasn't expecting one because I never got one when everything blew up in the first place. I think it's worth it to take a risk, because there may be a 50% chance of getting the apology you deserve. If the person you want to forgive is stubborn, try and accept that any attempts to get an apology out of him is futile. My father had multiple affairs and hurt my mum so much, but showed no remorse by the time she divorced him. That's my current battle, trying to deal with that, but I will in time.

Going back to my ex, although I said there were no comparisons, I felt like he did want to know what I'd been up to, my travels etc. so he could tell me about his (going to Tokyo, NYC, Miami etc.) I remained modest making him realies that firstly, any attempts to compete with me would get no reaction and secondly, I was ok with him feeling he was superior to me. That feeling takes power away from the other one, because his actions no longer get the desired reactions. He said, when someone dumps you, you just want to prove to them that you're better than them. When I told him how much that hurt, he realised that those actions had a very opposite effect.
0 Replies