The wacky world down under.

au1929

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 03:42 pm
Jun 11, 4:39 PM EDT

Police Probe Pub Mouse-Eating Contest Rolling Eyes

BRISBANE, Australia (AP) -- Two Australian drinkers may land in jail after chewing off the tails of live mice in a pub contest for a $346 prize.

The winner of the mice-eating contest at The Exchange Hotel in the eastern city of Brisbane is being sought for questioning, said the Royal Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Animals.

The other competitor already has been interviewed over the April incident.

Both men face two years in prison and $52,050 fines, RSPCA Chief Inspector Byron Hall said.

Queensland state Primary Industries Minister Henry Palaszczuk urged anyone with any information about the contest to contact authorities.

"Chewing a mouse and spitting it out is not entertainment, it is barbaric," said Palaszczuk. "All animals deserve respect. How we treat animals is a measure of how civilized our society is. "

Owners of the hotel condemned the contest on Friday and promised it would never happen again. "We are embarrassed this incident occurred at our hotel," said senior manager Scott Agnew
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,025 • Replies: 16
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 04:49 pm
Hmmm. How do ya handle that? On the one hand, mice are carriers of disease, to be exterminated when possible; on the other, it ain't nice to maul them first. Ya get fur in your teeth, for one thing.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 04:51 pm
How about the old nursery rhyme from Three Blind Mice where she cuts off their tails with a carving knife. Is that cool?
0 Replies

PostModernFreak

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 05:21 pm
Re: The wacky world down under.
au1929 wrote:

Both men face two years in prison and $52,050 fines, RSPCA Chief Inspector Byron Hall said.

OUCH.. that's a lot of money, if that's US dollars.. I doubt they will do time though.. but you never know Shocked
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 05:28 pm
No - I find this really disgusting, not funny - torturing animals like that.

I hope they get a stiff sentence.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 05:32 pm
I agree, dlowan. I abhor animal cruelty. It has always bothered me that mice appear to be so intelligent and still have to be killed.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 05:40 pm
These, presumably, were tame pet mice.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 06:41 pm
even my cats kill thhe mouse first. Poor mousies. Theyll have to go through life enduring cruel taunts and theyll be made fun-of by their tail enabled "friends"

As for the guys who ate the tails. Can you imagine thei stay in prison when inmates discover that thei crime was eating mousie tails. Why theyll be cast among the sodomites
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 07:36 pm
I'm watching yer, farmerman...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 07:43 pm
Re: The wacky world down under.
au1929 wrote:
Two Australian drinkers may land in jail after chewing off the tails of live mice in a pub contest for a $346 prize.

Absolutely disgusting!
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 05:48 pm
it's weird, but it's oz.........
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 05:51 pm
since it was a contest, does anyone think this was advertised or promoted?

if it was, it seems strange that nobody noticed it until after the fact.
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 08:20 am
First of all it's totally disgusting to do that.
But what's so oz about even considering those two guys to be put in jail? I would've considered that one to be US-like.
Getting sentenced to being kicked in the butt with a friggin giant boot (just like in The Simpsons) does sound more ozzy to me.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 04:45 pm
and from their neighbors in new zealand we get this

warning, it's worse than the mice story
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 01:44 am
Aww cmon that ain't typical for our beloved Kiwis.
That's what happens in every household in any nation with at least one sick person and a cat in it.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 01:48 am
thehamster wrote:
Aww cmon that ain't typical for our beloved Kiwis.
That's what happens in every household in any nation with at least one sick person and a cat in it.

..and what goes on in any household with a hamster and some duct-tape ain't for publishing either!!
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 02:28 am
Thehamster gets his butthole taped or what?
0 Replies