Proxy Server Warning

snood

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 05:36 pm
When I try to open the internet , there's a message on the screen that the proxy server isn't working. I found out if I go to internet tools- connections- LAN settings and then uncheck the box that says use a proxy server, it fixes it. But I have to do this EVERY time I want to be on the internet. How can I fis this problem so that it stays fixed?

giujohn

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 05:47 pm
@snood,
I would check with the FBI...sounds like they are momitoring you and theres a glitch.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 05:57 pm
@snood,
Could be malware Snood. Have you tried calling technical support with your internet provider?

I gave up on PC's a year ago. We switched to Mac's and I would never go back.
hingehead

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 09:25 pm
@jcboy,
I'd agree with JCboy on the malware diagnosis - but not on the Mac conversion :-P

At my institution I manage a proxyserver so that students can login and get off campus access to resources that are restricted to on campus IP addresses. There is one piece of Malware called Secret Source really hates EZproxy (the the proxy software we use because they are both trying to do the same thing (rewrite web addresses in html pages to insert themselves between user and web site)

It sounds like your malware is rewriting your proxy config to a server that isn't online.

Have you got any malware/antivirus software that you can your machine with?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 09:37 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Could be malware Snood. Have you tried calling technical support with your internet provider?

I gave up on PC's a year ago. We switched to Mac's and I would never go back.

That's my plan when my current laptop dies.
Am going to try to fire up a old tower on Linux though.
0 Replies