THE DEATH OF RAY CHARLES

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 03:46 pm
My favorite artist of all time. His music was clearly his own. My favorite piece is "what I say" and "Eleanor rigby'

Good night Baby Ray and thanks for the music Crying or Very sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,980 • Replies: 64
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 03:48 pm
I saw him just last year. I wasn't a huge fan, but I thought I should see him soon, cuz he was gettin' up there. I'm glad I got to see him. He seemed like such a loveable guy.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:02 pm
When I was in college in the 70s he was coming out with the music that prevented me from puncturing my eardrums. Rock was mostly in a bubblegum phase and was producing mostly vapid crap. Ray and some jazz musicians like
Bob James, Chuck Mangione, guituarist Leo Kotke and ry cooder, and Willie Nelson kept that decade from being a total musical waste of time.

His shows were, like those of George Thoroughood, even if you didnt love his music, you were dancin in the aisles. As he got older, his shows did slow down a bit
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:07 pm
Yeah, I know what you mean. When I saw him last year he looked OLD. But you could still tell that he really really loved being up there and performing, and that he was totally in his element.

After almost 60 years of being a musician, he still seemed to be getting a child-like joy out of playing. That right there is enough to make me appreciate and love the guy.
0 Replies

imdtckdkr

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:15 pm
He truely was one of the greats and will be sorely missed!
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:21 pm
Like I said on another thread, his version of America The Beautiful is one of the best ever.

I heard that making music was the greatest joy in Ray's life. May he Rest In Peace.

Ray can now see all the beauty and splendor heaven has to offer. No longer does he exist in a world with no color.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:25 pm
Ray Charles was one of the best. People too young to remember him at the top of his career don't know what they missed.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:39 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Ray Charles was one of the best. People too young to remember him at the top of his career don't know what they missed.

You know, there was never any gossip written about Ray in the tabloids. He was never in any kind of trouble with the law, or women, or drugs. He was just a man who loved making his music and performing. Ray kept his personal life just that...personal.

The world needs more entertainers like him. Sadly, his kind is far and few between.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:42 pm
yes indeed Edgar, I was fortunate to have been in a number of audiences ..
A personal memory,After all the days of unspoken fear,tension and anxiety after 9/11. One of the networks did a panorama 'bumper"of new York and overtop they played 'AMerica The Beautiful" as sung by Ray. I broke down like a little baby and wept. his gravelly emotional voice cloaked the entire event in its own anthem that couldnt be duplicated.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:50 pm
Amazing how beautiful the music from that rough voice. I could name recordings of his that number among the most beautiful ever made. But that would be drawing attention away from the other remarkable work he did. Each phase of his career was exceptional.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:51 pm
He was one of a kind, I think. Didn't fit into a single category, which I think broadened his appeal. He will be missed...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:55 pm
farmerman wrote:
yes indeed Edgar, I was fortunate to have been in a number of audiences ..
A personal memory,After all the days of unspoken fear,tension and anxiety after 9/11. One of the networks did a panorama 'bumper"of new York and overtop they played 'AMerica The Beautiful" as sung by Ray. I broke down like a little baby and wept. his gravelly emotional voice cloaked the entire event in its own anthem that couldnt be duplicated.

I saw him sing that at the world series that year, I believe. I remember thinking that I'd never heard anything so beautiful. I don't cry easy, but I have to admit, even I got a little teary-eyed.
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 05:02 pm
I still occasionally sing Sam to sleep in the truck, with Ray's "Busted". That and Woody Guthrie's "Hobo's Lullaby" help her sleep, after driving more than 300 miles nonstop.

Those of us that grew up in the 50's and sixties will miss him a lot. He seemed to LOVE music and it came out in his songs.

Night, Brother Ray
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 05:03 pm
doggielover. raay was, in his early years, like johny Cash, a consumer of any number of chemicals and had been busted a number of times. His music was his salvation.
of course, in the 30s and 40s marijuana wasnt as demonized as it is now.
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 05:16 pm
Farmerman,

Haven't you ever seen that "documetary", "Reefer Madness"? Now, if that's not demonizing MJ...
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 05:16 pm
Farmerman,

Haven't you ever seen that "documentory", "Reefer Madness"? Now, if that's not demonizing MJ...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 05:55 pm
Reading about his death earlier today hit me much harder than I would have expected. Then I started thinking about specific memories attached to some of his music.

My favourite piece of choreography is set to

Quote:
Let's go get stoned
Let's go get stoned
When your baby won't let you in
Got a few pennies, a bottle of gin
Just call your buddy on the telephone
Let's go get stoned

Let's go get stoned
Let's go get stoned
When you work so hard all the day long
And everything you do seems to go wrong
Just drop by my place on your way home
Let's go get stoned

It ain't no harm
You're takin just a taste
But don't blow your cool
and start messing up the place
It ain't no harm you're faking just a nip
But make sure you don't fall down bust your lip
Let's go get stoned
Let's go get stoned

In a tribute on the CBC tonight, they featured him playing Gershwin on the piano. Phenomenal. The Man I Love made me shiver.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 05:59 pm
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooo......
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 06:00 pm
he was truly great. he worked from the inside out. a beautiful voice and spirit. and, his version of America...really defines, in my estimation, what is best about this country. how about a state funeral for him?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 06:01 pm
Sammy Khan recounted the first time he heard Ray's version of Georgia - Driving late one night it came over the radio. He was so blown away he had to pull over on the side of the road.
0 Replies