Research Shows Dogs Understand Language

patiodog

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 12:27 pm
Damn. Our dumb one thinks any word it doesn't know means food, and she dances over to her food bowl if you say the same thing to her three or four times in a row. A dim bulb.

The other one's got a little dingo in him, so he's not to big on figuring out what you want, unless there's a treat in it for him. About all he knows are the basics and "get your frisbee." And he's terrified of the word "f*ck." Can't stand it. Sends him hiding under a table. (Some weird shite happened to him as a pup, I think.)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 12:29 pm
My dog seems to learn words without our knowledge. We'll just be talking about say, maybe he needs longer 'walks', and he'll pop his head up, run to the leash and start sniffing it. We never taught him that word, we just took him out. I think he may be outsmarting us.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 12:34 pm
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 12:36 pm
Yeah, he's a very sharp guy, a problem solver, but he's completely ruled by instinct, and if he's suspicious of somebody all you can do is give him time to get over it or drag him away. "Leave it" doesn't cut it -- because he thinks he knows better. Not really sure if that's the German shepherd bit or the heeler bit...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 09:57 am
Dog psychology lessons 'help postmen'
Dog psychology lessons 'help postmen'

Giving postmen training in dog psychology has reduced attacks on them by 80 per cent, the German post office is claiming. Deutsche Post said yesterday that all 79,000 of its delivery workers have now been on the courses, introduced in 2001, says the Daily Mail. And it says the training has been much more successful than a previous attempt to issue all workers with CS gas. That failed because they claimed they were attacked before they could use the canisters.

On the two-day courses workers learn how to read a dog's body language, how to mask their fear, and how to move slowly and speak in a soothing voice.

Trainer Rolf Stoewe said: "The biggest mistake most postal staff make is to run off."

"It's not rocket science. I am surprised more postal services do not use trainers."
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 10:44 am
Well, I have a Border Collie....

Now I'm feeling all inferior because my Border Collie doesn't know 200 words....

LOL....

My bad....

Well, the dog in the news article is 9 years old, and my *Jack* is only 4 years old..... maybe there's hope for us..... LOL....

Seriously, it worries me.... now everyone will run out and buy a Border Collie puppy.... in 6 months, the animal shelters will be overrun with Border Collies looking for new homes.....

My *Jack* can be on the far side of the pasture, and if he hears the slightest tinkling of the car keys, he runs full speed to see if he's going for a ride.... LOL....

PaL
:-)
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 10:58 am
If my old cat was served something not to his liking for dinner he would pretend to bury it. Kind of like saying, "this stuff is ****".
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 05:14 pm
Quote:
Seriously, it worries me.... now everyone will run out and buy a Border Collie puppy.... in 6 months, the animal shelters will be overrun with Border Collies looking for new homes.....

Well, it could be a crop of ill-bred Weimaramers (which I'm surprised never appeared at the shelters I've been at).

Have discovered this spring that the older dog licks mosquito bites. Our heeler thinks he's a healer.

He licked the other dog's yeast-infected ear last fall, but I'm still not convinced that the licking didn't cause the infection, and not vice versa.
0 Replies