Research Shows Dogs Understand Language

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 10:57 am
Research Shows Dogs Understand Language
Jun 10, 7:45 AM (ET)
By RANDOLPH E. SCHMID

WASHINGTON (AP) - As many a dog owner will attest, our furry friends are listening. Now, for the doubters, there is scientific proof they understand much of what they hear.

German researchers have found a border collie named Rico who understands more than 200 words and can learn new ones as quickly as many children.

Patti Strand, an American Kennel Club board member, called the report "good news for those of us who talk to our dogs."

"Like parents of toddlers, we learned long ago the importance of spelling key words like bath, pill or vet when speaking in front of our dogs," Strand said. "Thanks to the researchers who've proven that people who talk to their dogs are cutting-edge communicators, not just a bunch of eccentrics."

The researchers found that Rico knows the names of dozens of play toys and can find the one called for by his owner. That is a vocabulary size about the same as apes, dolphins and parrots trained to understand words, the researchers say.

Rico can even take the next step, figuring out what a new word means.

The researchers put several known toys in a room along with one that Rico had not seen before. From a different room, Rico's owner asked him to fetch a toy, using a name for the toy the dog had never heard.

The border collie, a breed known primarily for its herding ability, was able to go to the room with the toys and, seven times out of 10, bring back the one he had not seen before. The dog seemingly understood that because he knew the names of all the other toys, the new one must be the one with the unfamiliar name.

"Apparently he was able to link the novel word to the novel item based on exclusion learning, either because he knew that the familiar items already had names or because they were not novel," said the researchers, led by Julia Fischer of the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig.

A month later, he still remembered the name of that new toy three out of six times, even without having seen it since that first test. That is a rate the scientists said was equivalent to that of a 3-year-old.

Rico's learning ability may indicate that some parts of speech comprehension developed separately from human speech, the scientists said.

"You don't have to be able to talk to understand a lot," Fischer said. The team noted that dogs have evolved with humans and have been selected for their ability to respond to the communications of people.

Katrina Kelner, Science's deputy editor for life sciences, said "such fast, one-trial learning in dogs is remarkable. This ability suggests that the brain structures that support this kind of learning are not unique to humans and may have formed the evolutionary basis of some of the advanced language abilities of humans."

Perhaps, although Paul Bloom of Yale University urges caution.

"Children can understand words used in a range of contexts. Rico's understanding is manifested in his fetching behavior," Bloom writes in a commentary, also in Science.

Bloom calls for further experiments to answer several questions: Can Rico learn a word for something other than a small object to be fetched? Can he display knowledge of a word in some way other than fetching? Can he follow an instruction not to fetch something?

Fischer and her colleagues are still working with Rico to see if he can understand requests to put toys in boxes or to bring them to certain people. Rico was born in December 1994 and lives with his owners. He was tested at home.

Funding for this research was provided in part by the German Research Foundation.
--------------------------------

On the Net:

Science: http://www.sciencemag.org

German Research Foundation: http://www.dfg.de/en/index.html

Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology: http://www.eva.mpg.de
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,067 • Replies: 27
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 01:31 pm
Granted, many dogs understand what we are saying but they lack the intellect and opposable thumbs to be able to do anything with that information. I asked my dog to get my car and drive it around front and he just looked at me.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 01:33 pm
Here kitty kitty.

Dog, go get the goddam cat!

Works every time.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:30 pm
NickFun
NickFun, if you ask your dog, "Do you want to go for a ride?" I bet you know that your dog can understand you. My Maddy goes nuts when I ask him that question. He even stands still, once in the car, waiting to be snapped into his seat belt. Even Maddy obeys the seat belt law.

BBB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:33 pm
I had one dog in particular that appeared to understand everything I said to her, even using lots of sentences. She was as much a part of my family as I was, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:41 pm
...But does your dog WANT to understand you?

Watch it ignore you when you say "Here, Bowser, it's time for your bath."

Then turn your back and mumble "Gosh I wish I knew what to do with all these extra sausages."

See which one the dog understands.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 06:11 pm
Lol! I have had one super intelligent cat who learned quite a few words. No other cat has even approached this cat's intelligence - which drives me nuts, as THAT is what I now want in a cat!

The fun part was that I could embed the words she knew in complex sentences, thus leaving my friends gasping with awe when she appeared to respond to normal human chatter, much as a human would!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 06:18 pm
I used to speak to my dog in long rambling sentences and somewhere at random stick in the word bath. Every time, she headed out the doggie door to avoid the hated liquid.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:07 pm
I suspect my dog has been going around the neighborhood spreading rumors and innuendos about me. It's a Golden Rteiever. They are notorious liars. It's part of the breed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:54 pm
I met a golden retriever one time. He said to me, "Bark! Bark! Bark! Bark!" I was sore when I found out how badly he'd misled me.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 09:22 pm
So, I don't get it. I don't understand the fuss about 200 words. Jeeze. Just think about it. Hamburger, beef, treat, cookie, bed, bath, brush, play, ball, sit, stay, bad, don't, do, out, paper, walk, play, leash, quiet, shut up, vet, psychiatrist, dog pound, dog catcher, basement, I'll murder you, etc. (I'm not going to waste any more space here.) As for spelling - never had a dog yet that couldn't spell - (big deal). Raggedy Annie probably could have written a letter, too, except I wouldn't let her use my pen.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 12:38 am
Maddy
Maddy understands so many words, tone of voice, facial expressions. One of the best is:

BBB: Maddy, do you want to snuggle?

Maddy snuggles up against me and buries his head between my shoulder and chin with his paws on my cheeks. Sometimes I also get puppy kisses, too.

BBB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 05:27 am
Dogs read your expressions and body language, as well as your words. If you scold a dog while smiling, the dog decides you are not serious. They are so attuned to their people that even while apparently sleeping they know every move you make.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 05:36 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I used to speak to my dog in long rambling sentences and somewhere at random stick in the word bath. Every time, she headed out the doggie door to avoid the hated liquid.

OMG edgar...that is SO true. LOL My dog disappears whenever the words 'bath' or 'vet' are spoken. Spelling the words out doesn't help either. All my dogs could spell too. Mr. Green

Every dog I've ever had the privilige of sharing my life with has always understood me when I spoke to him/her...and been finely tuned to my emotions.

BBB...Maddy is just adorable. Please give him a big hug from doglover.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 05:44 am
One day my dog got out of the yard and just disappeared. After hours of fruitless searching, I gave her up as adopted by someone else. She was entirely too friendly. The next morning I found her sitting by the door. I brought her in and fed her. She kept giving me odd little looks until I finally got down on the floor with her and told her all that was in my heart and mind. There's no way she followed all those words, but she returned such an understanding look the whole time that I am sure she knew just what I was doing. After that we were both back to our original relationship.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 06:08 am
I have always thought there was something very humbling about kneeling down to pet an animal or to sit down on the floor with them...to put yourself on their level.

So often times we pat our legs and encourage them to jump up and come to us. It's nice and very special that once in a while, we come to them.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 06:20 am
http://www.justfurkids.com/maxi/images/toons/RIP.jpg
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 06:26 am
LMAO gus...that was cute. Razz
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 06:51 am
doglover wrote:
I have always thought there was something very humbling about kneeling down to pet an animal or to sit down on the floor with them...to put yourself on their level.

So often times we pat our legs and encourage them to jump up and come to us. It's nice and very special that once in a while, we come to them.

My dog used to love it when we'd get down next to him on the floor. This was because he knew he was in for a fight. My mum used to go mental when she came into the room and saw me lying on the floor with the dog standing over me - my hands around his throat and his teeth around my arm, snarling like a demon. Before any animal-welfare-types start lecturing me - he never bit me and I never hurt him - it was all harmless fun and he always came back for more. Damn, I miss him.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 11:51 am
I don't know so much about dogs but our cats always had a large vocabulary. It's alright, sorry. and stuff like that as well as dinner, chicken, come in, do you want to go out, get OFF that etc etc etc - Timmy used to come rattling in in the middle of the night and I'd say 'Where have you been then?' - chorus of miaowing in response. all very excited, and we'd have a long conversation!
0 Replies