Purgatory: Are we actually in Purgatory right now?

tcis

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 06:50 pm
Are we actually in Purgatory right now, and just don't know it?

If not, please explain how this place is different than purgatory.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 759 • Replies: 5
No top replies

pueo

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 06:59 pm
at present, a2k is either heaven like or hell like depending on your political affiliation. therefore i believe i've explained a little why this place (a2k) is different than purgatory.

thank you for asking.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 07:16 pm
I always wondered whether we were in purgatory or hell but just didn't know it. And I've come to the conclusion that there are really only two places that you can be:in the physical world and in your own head.

I don't believe anymore that there is a such thing a purgatory or heaven or hell. To me, hell is when I'm dealing with most uneducated people, heaven is when I'm conjuring up interesting ideas, and purgatory is when I'm bored.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 05:54 am
Well, purgatory is a religious word - it's defined as a temporary place of punishment; or a temporary place after you die to purify yourself in order that you can get to heaven. Whatever...

So, the question is: why isn't this life a temporary punishment? A place to purify yourself in order to have a better afterlife?

Why not?

It follows most religious teachings, including ones like Buddhism and Taoism.

I would change the emphasis however.

This world is a place to grow; to overcome that which is holding you back; to correct the flaws in your soul.

A noble cause for life, in my opinion....
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 05:55 am
I know I am.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:53 am
I am a Buddhist. The causes we make in this life will determine our next life. Personally, I think this life is pretty damn good. Happiness is not the absence of problems. It is the ability to be able to overcome whatever life throws at you and to have true compassion for others. When you devote yourself to a lofty goal and the happiness of others your own problems seem so small and insignificant.
0 Replies