Help this child with math

skel

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 12:04 pm
I have a child who is very bright but when it comes to numbers he jumbles them in his head. He is young and is learning multiplication, dividing, remainders etc etc. He is having a lot of trouble learning this math however and its taking its toll on his self confidence. I assume he has some type of learning problem. We are having him tested for this. Anyways I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book or two to help him learn this type of math.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,800 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Miller

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 12:12 pm
I've always thought of math ability as a sort of talent. Writing is a talent, why shouldn't math be one also.

Your child should learn the fundamentals and then be encouraged to excel in those subjects, in which he appears to have the most talent.

If it's not math, perhaps he'll be a great writer or speaker. i wouldn't worry and I certainly wouldn't get him tested for a learning disability.

Perhaps, he needs tutoring in math or even, a different teacher.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 01:45 pm
Many children flounder in math because they aren't able to do the times tables--or even simple addition and subtraction--quickly. Pick up a couple packs of flash cards and check. If drill is needed, drill.
0 Replies

skel

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 01:52 pm
"If it's not math, perhaps he'll be a great writer or speaker. i wouldn't worry and I certainly wouldn't get him tested for a learning disability.
"

Well its really hard for someone who doesent know math to do anything else. I want my child to go to college. What is he going to do without even basica algebra. I know my wife is the same way. She cant do division for some reason. She had a hell of a time in college because you really need math for everything you do.
0 Replies

skel

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 01:52 pm
math
"If it's not math, perhaps he'll be a great writer or speaker. i wouldn't worry and I certainly wouldn't get him tested for a learning disability.
"

Well its really hard for someone who doesent know math to do anything else. I want my child to go to college. What is he going to do without even basica algebra. I know my wife is the same way. She cant do division for some reason. She had a hell of a time in college because you really need math for everything you do.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 03:05 pm
Re: Help this child with math
skel wrote:
I have a child who is very bright but when it comes to numbers he jumbles them in his head. He is young and is learning multiplication, dividing, remainders etc etc. He is having a lot of trouble learning this math however and its taking its toll on his self confidence. I assume he has some type of learning problem. We are having him tested for this. Anyways I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book or two to help him learn this type of math.

Different people learn in different ways. While it's possible that there is a learning disability involved, it's also possible that the child will improve over time as understanding develops.

If practice and patience and encouragement don't help, then I would recommend trying a skilled personal educator. Someone who can understand how your child thinks, and then model an explanation of mathematics to fit that thought process.

One of the strengths of the human brain is the ability to find different (often untried) paths to a goal. And sometimes, in rare cases, those new paths and methods lead to a deeper understanding along the way. What appears to be a liability now, could turn to an advantage in the future.

Best Regards,
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:16 pm
skel wrote:
"

Today, the kids all have calculators for all their math. You really don't need math, if you don't major in the sciences. How much algebra do you need to read Shakespeare?

If your child isn't interested in medicine or the medical/chemical sciences, why would he need math, except for the basics.

Learn addition, subtraction...etc. Algebra, isn't necessary to earn a BA degree.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 06:11 pm
You never told us his age. How old is your son?

Do you interact with him, on the common useage of math on a daily basis.

Example: If your child likes baseball, can he calculate things related to baseball. Runs/inning and then how many runs in a game.

If he's a child of this century, he probably knows how to use a computer and a calculator. If so, when you go shopping, let him use his calculator to find out what the total bill will be. If one can of peas costs $2, how many cans can we buy with $10?

Math is fun. But, it sometimes takes imagination to get a child interested in it. If your child developes a fear of math, you have to get rid of it fast.

Also, the parent has to try to avoid being anxious.
Every child will have problems in school, since this is normal

When I was a kid, I did very well in math, but I couldn't turn a somersalt. What a problem that was. I tried to practice at home and still couldn't do it. Big deal! I was good at baseball, so the teachers let me pass gym.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:10 pm
I'm a little distressed by the "your kid doesn't need math" lobby.

Although I'm a suspicious old biddy, I doubt that there are con artists on every single corner--but con artists are out there and reliable, dependable mental math is an excellent defense.

Even if the kid can carry a calculator from the time he enters high school, in elementary school, he's expected--justifiably--to be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide before he leaves elementary school.

Repeated failure in basic procedures is not an ego-building experience. Down the road, "good" colleges have admissions requirements that include math and science--whether or not these subjects are necessary in these days of calculators.

I'm with skel here--a problem exists and the problem won't vanish because calculators exist.

As I said earlier--I favor good, old fashioned drill. Miller has a good point on making math mastery a useful daily accomplishment. Summer is coming and there will be lots of time for both approaches.

If the problem is ignored....it will be there come September.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 09:19 pm
Here's what I did with our kids when they were having trouble.

I took a piece of notebook paper and cut of ten pieces about the size of large postage stamps. On each piece I wrote "4".

I took one of the papers and asked what it was worth. "Four" was the answer - four one time. Then I took two pieces of paper - four two times, or eight. We had to do this a lot of times, but it did work.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 06:03 am
Today, when colleges look at the math skills of kids, prior to admission, they look for calculus and college level algebra.

If you're a fine arts major, you don''t need these kinds of skills. You nee to know basic math, and you need to know common sense math, so you can balance your checkbook.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 06:59 am
Miller, ignoring math is not an option. If this child fails math, he very likely will not be promoted to the next grade. And, if he manages to make it through High School, he will very likely be sitting in remedial math classes during college (and paying through the nose for them) to learn what he should have learned in High School. So, the time to tackle the problem is now.

Math requires a lot of memorization, but it's easier if it's logical memorization, e. g. there's an understanding of why calculations are performed in a certain manner, or how things go together, or at the very least of when things look wrong.

The idea of connecting math to sports is a good one - math is related to stats, to deciding who goes to the playoffs, and averages, among many other things. If sports are not favored, math is also related to music - eighth notes, beats, etc. If music is not the child's favorite thing, math is related to science, such as to plot changes on a graph or determine the concentrations of chemicals. If science is not preferred, how about cooking? Math is related to doubling and halving recipes and metric to English conversions, and calculating how to change a recipe for high altitude. If these areas are not the child's favorites, surely there is something that the child enjoys which can be related to math.

Math skills are the essence of practicality. Show the child where math will be useful to him - even if it's just to show him how not to be ripped off - and the child will be more interested in the subject.
0 Replies

skel

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 07:14 am
My child is 11. I understand most kids use calculators today but to me that is simply an excuse not to learn math the "right way"

He can do mutliplication fairly well. Its the division that he has trouble on.
The division with remainders or decimals are a huge challenge to him. He is old enough where he should know this already but yet he struggles. LIke I said, my better half has the same problem so maybe its hereditary.
I am simply looking for some type of text that is easy to understand and shows step by step instructions for divison mostly and other types of related math. Im hoping with a good book, Ill be able to go through each step with him and help him.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 08:12 am
skel,

There are a whole lot of good books out there. When are you having your child tested? I think that is one of the best things you can do. The results of the testing will give you more information than we ever could, and as part of the process you should be getting recommendations for books/ teaching methods that will work for your child.

He has already experienced failure so many times, and we just don't have enough information to say what specific book/ method would work. One size does not fit all when it comes to learning disabilities, if that's even what it is. So without enough information, I'm hesitant to suggest any specific book. Testing him is a great idea, and your best start.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 09:11 am
Ah, division - one method (tasty, too) is, make a pizza (make, not buy, though you can buy a frozen one in the supermarket - you're looking for one that's not precut). Then cut it - halves, quarters, whatever - then divide it among a number of people where the number doesn't fit. How do you give 8 pizza slices to 5 people? Remainders = leftovers.

If there are 10 kids on the team, and 12 baseball gloves, are there any extras? Remainders = extras.

If there's $15 in the budget, and the cost is $4, and 3 items were purchased, what happens to the change? Remainders = the change.

So there are a lot of practical things that go with division and remainders. Essentially, it's a question of dividing things fairly in an unfair world - what happens to whatever doesn't work out when things are divvied up?

Oh, and I agree - testing is a good start; then you'll be able to focus better.
0 Replies

zcrane

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 06:50 am
Have problem with times tables,how ridiculous!I am a Chinese ,in our country almost nobody have problem with such thing as multiplications. Surprised
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:21 am
zcrane are you saying you have problems with times tables, or are you denigrating skel, who asked for help?

Really, be kind or don't comment, okay?
0 Replies

zcrane

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 09:20 am
I am sorry.As a chinese,I just don't understand and mean no denigrating at all.To me English is something makes me feel difficult.This you may feel ridiculous.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 10:15 am
zcrane--

What a graceful apology. Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 12:17 pm
No problem, zcrane. :-D

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies