Federal Holiday on Friday 6/11/04

Miller

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:58 am
President Bush has declared Friday ( 6/11/04) to be a Federal holiday, in response to the recent death of President Ronald Reagan. Will the New York Stock Exchange be open on this new holiday?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,003 • Replies: 20
No top replies

squinney

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 09:28 am
He did for real?

Is it a paid holiday for federal employees?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 09:29 am
And so the sycophant ass kissing begins....my God. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 09:32 am
It's a one day closing...not a declared holiday....big difference....
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 09:35 am
I doubt any of us will get paid days off out of this.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 09:47 am
D'artagnan wrote:
I doubt any of us will get paid days off out of this.

No, but they'll vote some huge amount of our money to build some monument no doubt...money that could be otherwise earmarked for something useful.....and we'll hear about it after it's a done deal and our money's already spent......
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 09:58 am
Agreed. How soon before the demand to add RR to Mt. Rushmore becomes a deafening roar (from the usual voices)?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 10:17 am
In 1994, when former President Nixon passed away the Stock Market did close. I know because my office is open according to the stock market. Our office closed as did banks.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 10:22 am
according to CNN...
Quote:
President Bush ordered flags lowered to half-staff for 30 days Sunday and called a national day of mourning for Friday, when a state funeral for the 40th president is scheduled in Washington.

Federal departments and agencies will close for the day, except those dealing with national security or essential services, under Bush's executive order.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 10:27 am
Poor guy. They can't even let him rest in peace.

Quote:
A family spokeswoman says Mr. Reagan's body will lie in repose Monday and Tuesday at the Reagan library in Simi Valley, California, and will then be flown to Washington on Wednesday.

There will be a formal funeral procession Wednesday evening from Andrews Air Force Base to the U.S. Capitol, where the body will lie in state until Friday morning.

After the 11:30 a.m. funeral, the body will be flown back to California for burial at the Reagan library.

Can't they have some kind of memorial without the body being transported around all over the place?

The guy deserves a break.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 10:52 am
He's not aware ebeth. He's in the hands of the pr people now. bushinc. will try to use this as a poll booster somehow.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 10:53 am
That's just horrid.
Rest in peace.
It's supposed to mean something.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 11:01 am
There is discussion about changing the name of Mt. Clay in the presidential range in NH, to Mt. Reagan.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 11:10 am
If it was left at that, I could live with it. Clay was never a president, if memory serves...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 12:03 pm
Linkat wrote:
In 1994, when former President Nixon passed away the Stock Market did close. I know because my office is open according to the stock market. Our office closed as did banks.

Did all the banks close, or only the Federal banks?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 04:58 pm
just heard on the business news that the n.y. stock exchange will be cclosed on friday.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:08 pm
hamburger wrote:
just heard on the business news that the n.y. stock exchange will be cclosed on friday.

Thanks for the update.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:20 pm
i do wonder what the death of a person - even a great person - has to do with the closing of the stock exchange. i also wonder why it is considered appropriate to transport a body back and forth the country - and this does not just apply to the body of president reagan. would rememberance services not be just - if not more - appropriate without having a casket and body present ? somehow i find these ceremonies not really respecting the spirit of the deceased. it seems as if we still live back in the days of the neanderthals - but i may be giving them a rap name here - rather than in the "enlightened" 21 century. but, this is just one persons opinion - doesn't a mount to much, and shouldn't either. hbg
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:32 pm
The NYSE also is closed on Good Friday.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 09:09 am
massachusetts governor romney has declared 6/11 a state holiday.
0 Replies