Food in novels, food quotes, food and literature

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 06:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
This is something that has been understood since at least the Middle Ages. Bards referred to ravens as 'battle ravens.' Whenever two armies in chain mail lined up for combat, flocks of ravens would arrive, circling and calling to each other, roosting in nearby branches, waiting for the slaughter to begin. They knew that after a bloody battle there would be a field of carrion to feed on.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 06:07 pm
“She could sometimes stand the pain of it in her stomach when she knew there was nothing to eat, but when Lov stood in full view taking turnips out of the sack, she could not bear the sight of seeing food no one would let her have.”
― Erskine Caldwell, Tobacco Road
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 06:08 pm
“The Chinese food arrives. Delicious saliva fills his mouth. He really hasn't had any since Texas. He loves this food that contains no disgusting proofs of slain animals, a bloody slab of cow haunch, a hen's sinewy skeleton; these ghosts have been minced and destroyed and painlessly merged with the shapes of insensate vegetables, plump green bodies that invite his appetite's innocent gusto. Candy.”
― John Updike, Rabbit, Run
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 10:37 am
“One farmer says to me, "You cannot live on vegetable food solely, for it furnishes nothing to make bones with"; and so he religiously devotes a part of his day to supplying his system with the raw material of bones; walking all the while he talks behind his oxen, which, with vegetable-made bones, jerk him and his lumbering plow along”
― Henry David Thoreau, Walden
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 01:15 pm
“The German birds didn't taste as good as their French cousins, nor did the frozen Dutch chickens we bought in the local supermarkets. The American poultry industry had made it possible to grow a fine-looking fryer in record time and sell it at a reasonable price, but no one mentioned that the result usually tasted like the stuffing inside of a teddy bear.”
― Julia Child, My Life in France
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 09:46 am
“Boiled beef and greens constitute the day's variety on the former repast of boiled pork and greens; and Mrs. Bagnet serves out the meal in the same way, and seasons it with the best of temper: being that rare sort of old girl that she receives Good to her arms without a hint that it might be Better; and catches light from any little spot of darkness near her.”
― Charles Dickens, Bleak House
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 02:02 pm
“When about 16 years of age I happened to meet with a book, written by one Tryon, recommending a vegetable diet. I determined to go into it. My brother, being yet unmarried, did not keep house, but boarded himself and his apprentices in another family. My refusing to eat flesh occasioned an inconveniency, and I was frequently chid for my singularity. I made myself acquainted with Tryon's manner of preparing some of his dishes, such as boiling potatoes or rice, making hasty pudding, and a few others, and then proposed to my brother, that if he would give me, weekly, half the money he paid for my board, I would board myself. He instantly agreed to it, and I presently found that I could save half what he paid me. This was an additional fund for buying books. But I had another advantage in it. My brother and the rest going from the printing-house to their meals, I remained there alone, and, despatching presently my light repast, which often was no more than a bisket or a slice of bread, a handful of raisins or a tart from the pastry-cook's, and a glass of water, had the rest of the time till their return for study, in which I made the greater progress, from that greater clearness of head and quicker apprehension which usually attend temperance in eating and drinking.”
― Benjamin Franklin, The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 02:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
veddy interesting, eb.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 10:35 pm
“You see I'm wearing the tie," said Bingo.
"It suits you beautiful," said the girl.
Personally, if anyone had told me that a tie like that suited me, I should have risen and struck them on the mazzard, regardless of their age and sex; but poor old Bingo simply got all flustered with gratification, and smirked in the most gruesome manner.
"Well, what's it going to be today?" asked the girl, introducing the business touch into the conversation.
Bingo studied the menu devoutly.
"I'll have a cup of cocoa, cold veal and ham pie, slice of fruit cake, and a macaroon. Same for you, Bertie?"
I gazed at the man, revolted. That he could have been a pal of mine all these years and think me capable of insulting the old tum with this sort of stuff cut me to the quick.
"Or how about a bit of hot steak-pudding, with a sparkling limado to wash it down?" said Bingo.
You know, the way love can change a fellow is really frightful to contemplate. This chappie before me, who spoke in that absolutely careless way of macaroons and limado, was the man I had seen in happier days telling the head-waiter at Claridge's exactly how he wanted the chef to prepare the sole frite au gourmet au champignons, and saying he would jolly well sling it back if it wasn't just right. Ghastly! Ghastly!
A roll and butter and a small coffee seemed the only things on the list that hadn't been specially prepared by the nastier-minded members of the Borgia family for people they had a particular grudge against, so I chose them, and Mabel hopped it.”
― P.G. Wodehouse
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 08:56 pm
“If I were invited to a dinner party with my characters, I wouldn't show up.”
― Dr. Seuss
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 09:05 pm
"When the waitress asked if I wanted my pizza cut into four or eight slices, I said, 'Four. I don’t think I can eat eight.'"
-- Yogi Berra

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook."
-- Julia Child

"I always cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food."
-- W.C. Fields

"Large, naked, raw carrots are acceptable as food only to those who live in hutches eagerly awaiting Easter."
-- Fran Lebowitz

"Red meat is not bad for you. Now, blue-green meat—that’s bad for you!"
-- Tom Smothers

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 05:47 pm
“And when you crush an apple with your teeth, say to it in your heart:

Your seeds shall live in my body,
And the buds of your tomorrow shall blossom in my heart,
And your fragrance shall be my breath,
And together we shall rejoice through all the seasons.”
― Kahlil Gibran
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 07:42 pm
“My favorite animal is steak.”
― Fran Lebowitz
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 05:59 am
“To eat well in England you should have breakfast three times a day.”
― W. Somerset Maugham
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 02:40 pm
The Redwall Series by Brian Jacques is full of food descriptions. It is a great series and every time the characters feast I dearly want to be a part of it. I have none in my company right now to directly quote from.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 11:07 pm

We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman

The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found. ~Calvin Trillin

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

As Ichabod jogged slowly on his way, his eye, ever open to every symptom of culinary abundance, ranged with delight over the treasures of jolly autumn. On all sides he beheld vast store of apples.... great fields of Indian corn, with its golden ears peeping from their leafy coverts, and holding out the promise of cakes and hasty-pudding; and the yellow pumpkins lying beneath them, turning up their fair round bellies to the sun, and giving ample prospects of the most luxurious of pies; and anon he passed the fragrant buckwheat fields, breathing the odour of the bee-hive, and as he beheld them, soft anticipations stole over his mind of dainty slapjacks, well buttered, and garnished with honey or treacle.... ~Washington Irving, "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"
ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 11:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
I love Trillin.

I've never managed to find the original article he wrote about making his own tripe. New Yorker, but when?

By now that would be old tripe.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 08:21 pm
Madame Bovary, by Gustave Flaubert
In Flaubert's famous novel, Emma gets hitched to a boring-but-kindly country doctor, cheats on him repeatedly, and winds up killing herself by swallowing a handful of arsenic. While this could sound like any ol' story about a loveless marriage, Emma's departure from morals and sanity happens because of fruit and condiments. When the middle-class lass eats pineapple -- a rare delicacy reserved for the rich -- for the first time at a ritzy ball, she realizes that her hubby ain't exotic, exciting, or rich enough for her. Emma later tries to seek peace in church -- but she ditches that plan when she sees an ugly mustard stain on a priest's shirt.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 10:55 pm
Some years ago, on a late-night radio programme, Howard Jacobson and I discussed subjects that all novelists should avoid. Car chases were our first candidate, then long descriptions of sunsets, then sex. We spent quite a lot of time on sex. But as we talked it became clear that what we really meant was sensual pleasure. Fraught with danger, we agreed. Descriptions of touch, taste and smell could veer into cliche with terrifying ease, luring the unwary writer into thickets of purple prose, or unintended comedy, or descriptions that read like a badly translated medical textbook. Avoid the sensual, we agreed that night. Forget it. Don't even try.

A year later I embarked on a novel, set in the 17th century, whose central love story is conducted through the sensual pleasures of food.

I hadn't forgotten mine and Howard's discussion, and EM Forster had warned specifically about food in Aspects of the Novel. Characters, he wrote, "seldom enjoy it and never digest it unless specifically required to do so". But other writers must have written successfully about food. Scanning my bookshelves for guidance, my eye alighted first on a 1960s paperback edition of Petronius's Satyricon complete with bad line drawings of bare-breasted women, pigs, fish and a ham. Trimalchio's feast occupies almost a quarter of The Satyricon and features dormice roasted in honey, quinces stuck with prickles to resemble sea urchins, stuffed pea-hen eggs, 12 zodiac-themed hors d'oeuvres, a boar stuffed with live thrushes (which escape when the beast's flank is slashed) and dates in place of part-digested acorns. The dishes arrive borne by naked slaves while the drunken guests bicker and attempt (and mostly fail) to fornicate.

Trimalchio's feast stands at the head of a tradition of culinary excess whose next great landmark is Rabelais. The dishes listed in the "other" Chapter XXXII of Book V of Gargantua and Pantagruel (two versions survive) include the wild boars of Erymanthus, Olympus and Calydon, the swan into which Zeus metamorphosed to seduce Leda, and the genitals of the bull beloved of Queen Pasiphae. A sequence of untranslatable punning foodstuffs is headed by an enigmatic dish called "corquignolles", which I attempted (and failed) to describe in The Pope's Rhinoceros. Several pages later the list is still going, and the trope of fanciful food continues too, reaching an apogee 350 years later when the protagonist of JK Huysmans's À rebours (published in 1884) concocts his infamous black-themed funeral feast in which "naked negresses wearing only slippers and stockings" serve caviar and black puddings amid ponds filled with ink and paths strewn with charcoal.

But the strange thing is that no one actually eats these dishes. No one chews. No one tastes. Petronius's real subject is not the food but his feasters' jaundiced appetites, their unassuageable craving for novelty as they party their way through Nero's Rome. Rabelais has gluttony, not pleasure, in his sights. Huysmans's dark purpose remains obscure to me but it is not black pudding. If anyone ever truly gobbled down dormice roasted in honey, we miss the crackle of the caramelised glaze, the sinking of incisors into juicy flesh, the Malteser-like crunch of mousy skulls.

Of course, some fictional protagonists do eat. Fielding's Tom Jones wolfs down great trenchers of English beef. Saint-Loup is quite as heartily carnivorous in Proust. Plum puddings and other edible Victoriana bounce through the works of Dickens. But these dishes are barely invoked before disappearing down enthusiastic gullets or vanishing amid exclamations of pleasure. They are ciphers of plenty, of health and good cheer – not food. The closer I read, the more the food seemed to disappear before my eyes, like a fairy feast when the spell is broken. Was EM Forster right?

Advertisement

After a fashion. All meals begin with a motive, I realised. Not feasts but their cooks are the key. Jonathan Franzen's mixed grill barbecue in The Corrections begins with sausages, steak and good intentions, but ends with charred meat, recriminations and a hand injury. Similarly, in Hans Ulrich Treichel's criminally underrated Lost, the pig's head that is prepared each Christmas to bring the family together grows ever more repulsive as it is eked out over the following months, driving its consumers apart. We care about what these people eat because we care about them in a way that we do not about the fabulous dishes of Trimalchio's feast or Trimalchio's guests.

To cook for someone is an intimate act. To prepare food that another will place in their mouth, that will be tasted and swallowed and then pass through that person's body, is a primal exchange. We care about food in literature not when it is deployed as a symbol but when it becomes a language. One cooks. Another eats. It is a simple exchange, perhaps the simplest of all. The pleasure taken by one becomes the reward of the other. EM Forster, Howard Jacobson and I were nearly right but still wrong. Eating, far from being too sensual an act to be paraded on the page, is only half the story. Behind every dish stands a cook, and every cook has a story too.
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/sep/06/lawrence-norfolk-food-literature-eat
0 Replies