Food in novels, food quotes, food and literature

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 08:04 am
“The reason is that you eat too many foods that are high in "calories," which are little units that measure how good a particular food tastes. Fudge, for example, has a great many calories, whereas celery, which is not really a food at all but a member of the plywood family, provided by Mother Nature so that mankind would have a way to get onion dip into his mouth at parties, has none.”
― Dave Barry, Dave Barry's Guide to Life
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 10:20 pm
“He lay back for a little in his bed thinking about the smells of food… of the intoxicating breath of bakeries and dullness of buns… He planned dinners, of enchanting aromatic foods… endless dinners, in which one could alternate flavor with flavor from sunset to dawn without satiety, while one breathed great draughts of the bouquet of brandy.”
― Evelyn Waugh
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 09:29 am
“He toasted his bacon on a fork and caught the drops of fat on his bread; then he put the rasher on his thick slice of bread, and cut off chunks with a clasp-knife, poured his tea into his saucer, and was happy.”
― D.H. Lawrence, Sons and Lovers
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2015 03:58 pm
sailing ships bound out across the Pacific used to stop off in the Galàpagos Islands to capture defenseless tortoises, who could live on their backs without food or water for months. They were so slow and tame and huge and plentiful. The sailors would capsize them without fear of being bitten or clawed. then they would drag them down to waiting longboats on the shore, using the animals' own useless suits of armor for sleds.

They would store them on their backs in the dark paying no further attention to them until it was time for them to be eaten. the beauty of the tortoises to the sailors was that they were fresh meat which did not have to be refrigerated or eaten right away.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, Galápagos
ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2015 07:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'd never read that, thanks.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 11:29 pm
“The whole house is spic and span and everybody's supposed to be real honest and full of what he calls 'the good'. We even leave food out for the mice in the rafters so they won't have to sin by stealing. And you know what happens when dinner's over? Everybody hunches over and licks his plate clean so none of God's grace will be wasted.”
― Yukio Mishima, The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 09:52 pm
“The humanoids told Don that if he went home with a whore, she would cook him a meal of petroleum and coal products at fancy prices. And then, while he ate them, she would talk dirty about how fresh and full of natural juices the food was, even though the food was fake.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2015 05:35 pm
“Preparing the communal evening meal sometimes caused arguments. Every village in Sicily had a different recipe for squid and eels, disagreed on what herbs should be disbarred from the tomato sauce. And whether sausages should ever be baked.”
― Mario Puzo, The Sicilian
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 04:43 pm
“But all I could make use of was all that was valuable. I had enough to eat and to supply my wants, and what was all the rest to me? If I killed more flesh than I could eat, the dog must eat it, or the vermin. If I sowed more corn than I could eat, it must be spoiled. The trees that I cut down were lying to rot on the ground. I could make no more use of them than for fewel; and that I had no occasion for, but to dress my food.
In a word, the nature and experience of things dictated to me, upon just reflection, that all the good things of this world are no farther good to us than they are for our use; and that whatever we may heap up indeed to give others, we enjoy just as much as we can use and no more.”
― Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 06:40 pm
Likewise (Maria) watched (Martin's) toils and knew the measure of the midnight oil he burned. Work! She knew that he outdid her, though his work was of a different order. And she was surprised to behold that the less food he had, the harder he worked. On occasion, in a casual sort of way, when she thought hunger pinched hardest, she would send him in a loaf of new baking, awkwardly covering the act with banter to the effect that it was better than he could bake. And again, she would send one of her toddlers in to him with a great pitcher of hot soup, debating inwardly the while whether she was justified in taking it from the mouths of her own flesh and blood. Nor was Martin ungrateful, knowing as he did the lives of the poor, and that if ever in the world there was charity, this was it.”
― Jack London, Martin Eden
ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 06:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
You are a treasure here, eb.
I'm posting stuff I read that hits me, pzang or yeah, but not so often.

I like all of it.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 07:12 pm
@ossobuco,
I love this thread, osso. I want to see it grow for a long time.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2015 10:03 pm
“There was shish-kabob for lunch, huge, savory hunks of spitted meat sizzling like the devil over charcoal after marinating seventy-two hours in a secret mixture Milo had stolen from a crooked trader in the Levant, served with Iranian rice and asparagus tips Parmesan, followed by cherries jubilee for dessert and then steaming cups of fresh coffee with Benedictine and brandy.”
― Joseph Heller, Catch-22
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2015 10:04 pm
“Within five minutes of leaving the reunion, I'd undone the double wrapping and eaten all six rugelach, each a snail of sugar-dusted pastry dough, the cinnamon-lined chambers microscopically studded with midget raisins and chopped walnuts. By rapidly devouring mouthful after mouthful of these crumbs whose floury richness - blended of butter and sour cream and vanilla and cream cheese and egg yolk and sugar - I'd loved since childhood, perhaps I'd find vanishing from Nathan what, according to Proust, vanished from Marcel the instant he recognized "the savour of the little madeleine": the apprehensiveness of death. "A mere taste," Proust writes, and "the word 'death' ... [has] ... no meaning for him." So, greedily I ate, gluttonously, refusing to curtail for a moment this wolfish intake of saturated fat, but, in the end, having nothing like Marcel's luck.”
― Philip Roth, American Pastoral
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2015 10:19 pm
Robert Parker's Spenser character was always rhapsodizing about gourmet food.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 06:16 pm
“About 75 percent of the cattle in the United States were routinely fed livestock wastes—the rendered remains of dead sheep and dead cattle—until August of 1997. They were also fed millions of dead cats and dead dogs every year, purchased from animal shelters.”
― Eric Schlosser, Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 07:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
Me, too.

It is so rich.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 08:48 pm
“There's more food in one bottle of beer, me lad, than twenty sandwiches.”
― Roald Dahl
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 06:23 pm
“The buzzard could not reason but he knew the patterns that led to food. His entire life was built upon such fragments of knowledge and he knew that where such groups of men rode, death rode with them.”
― Louis L'Amour, The Burning Hills
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 06:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'd not thought of that quite that way.
0 Replies