Quackcents.....or: What did you say?

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 03:28 pm
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1124885.htm

What's in a quack?
To the untutored ear it might just sound like a load of quacking, but British researchers have discovered that the country's ducks - much like its people - have distinct regional accents.

Ducks from London make a rougher sound which resembles shouting so that fellow birds can hear them above the hubbub of city life, whereas their country cousins make a softer sound, the study found.

The differences were uncovered after academics at London's Middlesex University recorded the calls of ducks at a city farm in the capital and at a tranquil location in Cornwall, south-west England, the Guardian newspaper said.

There was a clear difference in sound, English language lecturer Victoria de Rijke told the paper, with the London ducks "much louder and (more) vocally excitable".

"The Cornish ducks made longer and more relaxed sounds, much more chilled out.

"The cockney (London) quack is like a shout and a laugh, whereas the Cornish ducks sound more like they are giggling," she said.

"London ducks have the stress of city life and a lot of noise to compete with, like sirens, horns, planes and trains."

The result was that the ducks' accents mimicked those of the humans in their home region, Ms de Rijke said.

She noted that the London accent tends to use short, more guttural vowel sounds whereas those in Cornwall are open and drawn out.
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200406/r22467_55190.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,020 • Replies: 9
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:47 pm
You folk just don't give a duck, do you?

heeeeheeheheheeheheheheheheeheheheehhsnorkle....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:48 pm
what little cuties!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:56 pm
Their accents? They're just babbling in the photo.
0 Replies

wordworker

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 01:36 am
Duckies??? Did someone say.....duckies??? Smile

Love those little quackers. I hatched a mallard egg(not personally) when I was in high school. I had a wee incubator and found the duck egg abandonded in a local park/pond area--sokay...I asked the ranger. He said the chances of it hatching it were 'slim',,it hatched but the tiny thing did not live more than a day. I rescued lots of birds when I was a kid--most of them, unfortunately died. However----I picked a little naked sparrow up that had been blown out of a large Italian Cypress during a windstorm. He (I assume) was one bald, little bird, and I thought for sure I would lose him. But I put him in a box lined with cotton and left him in a warm place in my apt. and went to work. When I came home that night, he was still alive --and looking better--so I fed him baby formula every two hours with a dropper, and he thrived!! He was so tame, he would follow me outside into the backyard , hop around on the grass, fly up into the trees, and then when I would get up to go back in the house, he would make a little bird sound and swoop down right onto my shoulder, and go inside with me. I called him "Gyro" cause when he was first starting to stand up, he would rotate in a circle --and all points between ,like a gyroscope.

FYI, I later found out that feeding wild birds wet cat food, is more like their diet in the wild.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 02:51 am
Never mind the quackcents. Any data on the quackscents?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 03:19 am
Hmmmm - hey - what happened to the sparrow in the end, WW?

Or - were you hoping nobody would ask?
0 Replies

wordworker

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 03:58 pm
Or, MA...the "quacksects," of which, there are far too many these days, I fear.

Deb....Ohh, yes...I guess I was hoping no one would ask. But it's okay. After 20+years since Gyro died, I still can feel my eyes start to brim with tears for that mousy little bird who defied the odds and lived to peep about it!! About a year after the rescue, he died in a home acccident--I know--this is sounding bizarre, and it was. At night, we(my sister & I) didn't keep him in a cage--it seemes too inhumane under the circumstances, we kept him under a huge laundry basket covered with a table cloth to keep out the light. One Sunday, after Gyro had been out all day with us in the backyard, my sister went to put him in the basket for the night. All you had to do was lift the edge of the it, and Gyro would hop right in. Well......the basket slipped from my sister's hand and hit the wee bird right across the neck. I thought I would have to call 911 for my sister. I was in tears, but she was shrieking and running back and forth in our small place. I buried him in our backyard right near the outdoor faucet where he loved to tip his head over and get a drink.

Candy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 04:38 pm
Awwwwwwwwwww....that is sooooooosad!!!
0 Replies

wordworker

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 05:16 pm
R.I.Peep!
0 Replies