Celery, not salary

Fri 12 Dec, 2014 04:10 pm
I've never been much of a celery gnawing person, but I've put it in battuto/soffrito for some italian dishes.
Yesterday I read about what people in the Florence area do with celery, in the Over a Tuscan Stove blog, e.g., breading and frying stalks, or making polpette, and I might need to investigate. I bring this up because I'm going to make tomato sauce again, thus the mention of celery. Then there's celeriac/celery root, that I never run across in my store but hope to, one of these days.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/how-to-make-battuto-italian-cooking-aromatics-carrots-celery-garlic.html

Over a Tuscan Stove - the bit about celery came up in the Dec. 5 post.
http://www.divinacucina-blog.com/
This blog alternately aggravates me (always with the self promotion) and pleases me (good ideas and I might even like her).

I must add joenation's tomato sauce (on a great thread) - man to listen to:
http://able2know.org/topic/206458-14#post-5340230

There are undoubtedly countless recipes out there using celery or celeriac - I'm interested in yours.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,376 • Replies: 15
Topic Closed
No top replies

farmerman

Fri 12 Dec, 2014 05:36 pm
@ossobuco,
celery is some kind of an "Amish Aphrodisiac". At each wedding the Amish celebratory meals are led off with a celery side dish, a celery soup, and an entrée with cooked celery along with the beef entrée.
I never got a strait answer as to "WTF celery?" although several have tried. (The Amish are not good at "what ifs" and their attempts at philosophy stop at apologetics ).
So, while the beef dih int bad, nd the cold side dishes are ok, I don't like any kind of celery soup other than a Chinese chicken foot broth with quickly seared celery and sliced scallions as the vegetable.
Celeriac isn't bad if served up as a side dish (sans any of this obsession to crème over everything). Its got a celery taste but a nice texture more like radish or Jerusalem Artichoke. It too serves up well by being flash cooked in a chicken broth nd allowed to sit in the fridge overnight before eating
farmerman

Fri 12 Dec, 2014 05:37 pm
@ossobuco,
you need to plant celeriac. The seed store up near Santa Fe used to carry some nice varietals of celeriac. (as well as the ubiquitous Sandia Pepper)
ossobuco

Fri 12 Dec, 2014 05:45 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks, listening, and I might need to read that again re the flash stuff.

I recall Hamburgboy has talked about celeriac, will noodle around to see if I can find links as he hasn't posted lately.
ossobuco

Fri 12 Dec, 2014 05:46 pm
@farmerman,
What seed store? Tell me, tell me.
farmerman

Fri 12 Dec, 2014 06:00 pm
@ossobuco,
it was right off the trail closest to the old town square (where they used to sell chochkies made by the Nvajo. They specialized in Xeric plants nd native veggies
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 12 Dec, 2014 06:05 pm
@ossobuco,
BTW, you have to figure out celeries cycle in your re. round here e plant started celery plnts around July 4. e let em grow with miniml watering nd then , in Sept, e cover the bunches with brown papare "tubes" to promote blanching (like you do for endive). It keeps the celery from tasting too strong an close to bitter
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 12 Dec, 2014 06:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Celery needs cool weather to finish so Ill bet they want you to plant it now and harvest by Mrch or April before it gets rel hot nd dry.
I recall trying gardening hen I lived in Stockton CAl and Id hve my garden in by Novembr and out by APril cause after that it was a desert
ossobuco

Fri 12 Dec, 2014 06:33 pm
@farmerman,
That's new to me - I grew vegetables in both southern and northern cal, both coastal, but not with the savvy that you do. Both different than here in Abq.
farmerman

Fri 12 Dec, 2014 10:59 pm
@ossobuco,
Id say that you should let your celery ripen with its DARK green leaves until about 2 months bwfre harvest. Then, , take a bunch of 5 llb paper lunch bags nd cut their bottoms off so you have a "tube" of paper. Some people take newspaper and roll two sheets around something round like a bigger flower pot. Then tape the overlapped paper and you have a sleeve which you cover the plant so only the topps of leaves stick out and the stems of the celery are covered by the paper.
This blanches the celery nd gives it a milder taste (more salty and less bitter)
ossobuco

Fri 12 Dec, 2014 11:03 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks, Farmer..
ehBeth

Fri 12 Dec, 2014 11:10 pm
@ossobuco,
a lot of the braised celeriac recipes I can google look like the ones hamburgboy likes

(his computer is pfffffft, and he's waiting for windows 10 on the advice of his advisor (my best friend's kid Smile )
ossobuco

Fri 12 Dec, 2014 11:29 pm
@ehBeth,
Tell him I miss him with a big hug - or if that is obnoxious, add some savory item of his choice.
ehBeth

Fri 12 Dec, 2014 11:51 pm
@ossobuco,
I will definitely tell him when I speak to him.

I miss seeing him here too! (it was a good way to keep an eye on him Cool )
0 Replies

Roberta

Sat 13 Dec, 2014 12:20 am
There's celery in chicken soup. That's the extent of my cooking with celery knowledge. Sorry.
ossobuco

Sat 13 Dec, 2014 12:25 am
@Roberta,
Yeh, but I know you know chicken soup.

So, what is the word for battuto in yiddish?

0 Replies