Other than family holiday meals, what's the furthest you've traveled for a dinner?

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 09:19 pm
@Banana Breath,
I'm one who ordered tripe in New York.

Report manana.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 09:34 pm
@DNA Thumbs drive,
DNA Thumbs drive wrote:

Well for all teenagers who have gotten their first car in New Jersey, going to Kentucky, for Kentucky fried chicken, is a right of passage.

Really?

Never heard of that one.

We had the rite of passage of throwing a box of Tide in the fountain; driving up to the city with your anatomy class fetal pig and leaving it on the subway sitting up dressed in a t-shirt and gym shorts; finding Greasy Lake and visiting Madame Marie, getting stoned sitting out on the jetty at night, but no driving to KY for KFC.

Must have missed that one.

0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 09:47 pm
The longest trip I've ever made for a meal was 3 miles. What made it a "long" trip was that I had to walk it -- into an icy wind, on a 10-degree day (Fahrenheit). I was homeless at the time and everything* within less than 3 miles of the shelter was closed that Christmas day. But I made it to the one Starbucks outlet in the city that was open and had a pastry and some tea. Fortunately, due to daunting nature of the trek, only about three homeless people made the trip, so I was able to spend some time away from the huddled masses.

*--With the exception of a 30-seat lobby at the night shelter, into which 60-100 unwashed men had jammed themselves.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 10:21 pm
@Kolyo,
Listening.

And I may not be as nasty about starbucks again.
0 Replies

Banana Breath

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 10:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
If you ever want to know about that area, or Greene and Greene houses, I'll connect you.

Ooo, there are Greene and Greene houses near there? I've always been amazed by their work but didn't anticipate being close enough to visit any. Had I known I'd certainly have made a side trip. I don't get to LA too often, most visits have been to attend conferences.
This part of the country has some magnificent works as well, including Fallingwater and Richardson's Courthouse and Jail.
http://i61.tinypic.com/35aprn6.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 10:29 pm
@Banana Breath,
More on Greene and Greene later. Hasta manana.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 10:31 pm
@Banana Breath,

Richard, the pal that knows G & G lives up there. The houses, not.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 10:33 pm
@Banana Breath,

Richard, the pal that knows G & G lives up there. The houses, not.

I miss-implied.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 02:14 am
I once flew from London to Geneva in order to have a meal at the then famous "Les Deux Anes" restaurant, in the Jura Mountains in France.

It sounds flash but there is more to it than that.

It was about 1989.

We had booked a table four months before (that was the earliest booking we could get) and my Sister in Law (French) had been saving up her work luncheon vouchers for months, as the restaurant accepted them the same as cash.
My better half and I had purchased a big TV, DVD player and all the other stuff in the related "combo" offer at that time in the UK, simply because the offer included these new fangled Air Miles vouchers, redeemable with British Airways.
We were going to buy the TV etc anyway, but at the checkout we were presented with not only a till receipt, but several booklets of these airmiles.

When the date of the meal came around, we used all of the airmiles vouchers on two return tickets and only had to pay a balance of £20.
We stayed at my bruvs French place near Geneva for free, and the luncheon vouchers covered all but about the dessert and tip part of the bill for the four of us at Les Deux Anes.

Six courses of wonder, with hugely entertaining over the top campness from the two gay owners. They were mock arguing with each other throughout, and the hilarious comments firing back and forth between the two of them made the entire evening. It was like being an extra in the original "Cage aux Folles" film.

We were there for four hours, eating but mainly laughing, and I would rate it as one of our best evenings out.

We stayed another day and then flew back.

Round trip? 1200 miles or so. Cost? About £50.
0 Replies