Can we target Facebook ads by someone's surname?

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 03:54 am
I want to start promoting a product that is targeted to a specific ethnic group. It's easy to identify members of this ethnicity by their family names. In order to display Facebook ads to people who are not already our Facebook fans, who are not in our newsletter database and who have not visited our website, is there a way to target ads to display to people based on a specific surname?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 493 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 10:26 am
@bardmoor,
Highly unlikely. Targeting seems to be mainly by age, gender, and location.
chai2

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 10:51 am
@jespah,
Being ignorant of such things jes, why would this be impossible, or even hard or unlikely?

If you are able to tell a persons gender or age, why couldn't you have a data base of certain names, and target them?
jespah

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 11:01 am
@chai2,
It's what FB provides. Of course it would technically be possible if FB provided the information to page runners. But it doesn't. Part of that is user privacy, BTW, but it's also because of how enormous the database really is. There are 1.3 billion accounts on FB. Aggregating gender, age groups (they don't aggregate actual ages, I might add) and generalized locations - all of that stuff is provided. This is essentially what's provided to advertisers. But surnames aren't provided.
chai2

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 11:26 am
@jespah,
Ah.

I see.
0 Replies