I have mold a lot of mold inside a new apartment complex that I have a leased.

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 07:39 pm
Hello,

My name is Ryan and my girlfiend and our pets moved into a brand new apartment complex 4 months ago and a month ago we both started to notice mold on cloths and in odd places. We also have been feeling like it may be affecting our health. We told the landlords and they supossly did a test and denied there being any mold and if there was it was our fault for not keeping the A.C on, it got worse and we complained about this problem again and they were very hostile and said then just move we will not charge you to leave. But we just put a lot of furniture up and paid a lot of money to make this our home.

Also we are located in south florida.

Please please if anyone has any suggestions about what to do please let us know.

Thank you
Ryan
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 828 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 08:21 pm
@Ryano1432,
Sounds like you have to decide if your new furniture arrangement or your health is the more important.

You could also check with other tenants to see if they have mold problems too. Their answers will further inform your decision.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 12:09 am
@Ryano1432,
No experience as to how things work in the USA, but in the UK we would get in touch with the local Council with a view to getting one of their Health Inspectors to come and have a look.
It's always advisable to create a file for your correspondence, and take lots of photos (date them if possible) and videos of problem areas.
Always communicate and/or respond to your landlord in writing, again always include the date and be polite but clear as regards to your problem and health concerns.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 12:37 am
@Ryano1432,
You can assume that the buildings were not built correctly that that the fix is expensive. Best guess is that the building got wet during construction before it was closed up, and the builder did not dry it out after closing it up. I was talking to a builder about a Red Robin getting built that got very wet on the inside, he said that it someone was going to have to bring in special dehumidifiers to dry it out before finishing the interior, which would add a week to the timeline.

I think the first thing you need to do is find out how high the humidity is, it could I suppose be something simple like the bathroom fans do not work. Given the offer to vacate the lease however I doubt it.

If you really want to stay you are probably going to have to spend a few hundred bucks on a dehumidifier, plus the electricity to run it.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 10:36 am
If you did not run the AC, then you should have at least run the furnace fan on ON at all times. The hot, high humid, South Florida air MUST move in a closed up building!!

There is no air-exchange going on in your apartment; no wonder you have mold on your clothes!

My furnace fan is on ON all the time. Costs pennies per month.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 09:23 am
@Ryano1432,
Hire a professional in the field of mold removal to investigate and get a report for both yourself and the apartment management.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 04:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Hire a professional in the field of mold removal to investigate and get a report for both yourself and the apartment management.

How many companies do you suppose would line up to get in the middle of a landlord/tenant dispute?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 04:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
Where I live it is easy to get such a report.
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 08:55 pm
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
If you did not run the AC, then you should have at least run the furnace fan on ON at all times. The hot, high humid, South Florida air MUST move in a closed up building!!

There is no air-exchange going on in your apartment; no wonder you have mold on your clothes!

My furnace fan is on ON all the time. Costs pennies per month.

That is correct. Just running the fan will help to avoid mold.

Besides. even when in appearance it can't be, electric motors won't pull much electricity to work. What it pulls lots of power is the AC compressor.
0 Replies

Javaer

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 12:47 pm
@Ryano1432,
I found a nice app on the subject.
The app explains the circumstances leading to the risk of mold.
You can find it in the iphone app store under the keyword 'mold risk'
0 Replies