CIA director Tenet and second top offical resign.

Thok

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 08:47 am
CIA Director George Tenet offers his resignation because of personal reasons and U.S. President George W. Bush accepts it.
Wow, interesting....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,353 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 09:04 am
Do you have a credible link to back up this statement?
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 09:15 am
Yes now there were links aviable:

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/06/03/tenet.resigns/index.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3774089.stm

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=5336032
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 10:07 am
It was inevitable. I would be curious to know whether he resigned or was forced out. I guess we will never know. That is unless he goes the way of several others who "resigned " from this administration and writes a book.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 12:46 pm
I smell a book tour.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 04:52 pm
Great minds think alike! I was just coming to A2K to ask if anyone thought it possible for the book to be out pre-election.

"In a speech to CIA employees, an emotional Tenet said, "It was a personal decision and had only one basis in fact: the well being of my wonderful family, nothing more and nothing less."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=513&e=1&u=/ap/20040603/ap_on_go_ot/tenet_resigns

Perhaps his family was being threatened?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 05:11 pm
His job was too stressful! He did the right thing, whether he was forced out or not.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 05:15 pm
A personal decision? One suspects there's more to it than that. A lot more...
0 Replies

lizzee

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:53 pm
The Tenet resignation was probably a force-out. Funny, I was talking with a friend about Watergate the other day. We discussed how Nixon, Haldeman, and Erlichman began to toss warm bodies to the wolves as a distraction for their own wrongdoing. They started with the guys who were either lower level, or whom they didn't like. I think Tenet falls into the latter category.

This is also a popular corporate tactic for unethical CEOs and VPs. When things are a mess, the higher-ups point the finger to somebody expendable, fire him, and then tell people that everything is now all right.

The need for a distraction by the Bushies also ties into Ashcroft's most recent warning about terrorism. He certainly alarmed many people (myself included), until followup news stories, with quotes from anonymous CIA operatives, revealed there really was nothing new on the terrorism front. Ashcroft was mouthing off and creating a distraction.

So are the Bushies feeling the pressure from the Iraqi disaster, or what?

Going back to Watergate--the people who were tossed out, formerly very loyal to the administration, began blabbing to reporters and prosecutors to save their own lives and reputations. If Tenet has something to get off his chest, I'm sure Bob Woodward would be glad to lend a sympathetic ear.

Another question to consider is, who's next to get the toss?
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 09:52 pm
welcome to a2k lizzee

well, I guess

Tenet:
I got drunk and revealed some top secret information about our operations in Iran to that traiterous scumbag Ahmad Chalabi, and now my head is about to roll so I better get out quick."

Of course, that is mere speculation at this point, but it wouldn't surprise me...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 10:01 pm
lizzee wrote:
The Tenet resignation was probably a force-out. Funny, I was talking with a friend about Watergate the other day. We discussed how Nixon, Haldeman, and Erlichman began to toss warm bodies to the wolves as a distraction for their own wrongdoing. They started with the guys who were either lower level, or whom they didn't like. I think Tenet falls into the latter category.

This is also a popular corporate tactic for unethical CEOs and VPs. When things are a mess, the higher-ups point the finger to somebody expendable, fire him, and then tell people that everything is now all right.

The need for a distraction by the Bushies also ties into Ashcroft's most recent warning about terrorism. He certainly alarmed many people (myself included), until followup news stories, with quotes from anonymous CIA operatives, revealed there really was nothing new on the terrorism front. Ashcroft was mouthing off and creating a distraction.

So are the Bushies feeling the pressure from the Iraqi disaster, or what?

Going back to Watergate--the people who were tossed out, formerly very loyal to the administration, began blabbing to reporters and prosecutors to save their own lives and reputations. If Tenet has something to get off his chest, I'm sure Bob Woodward would be glad to lend a sympathetic ear.

Another question to consider is, who's next to get the toss?

The main reason I suffer bushinc supporters badly. If all the **** that's
gone down in bushinc had gone down in the private sector, no one would defend it or even consider that it was anything except a bunch of hanky panky corporate criminals fleecing the stockholders.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 10:21 pm
second top offical resign:
James Pavitt, deputy director for operations, who was in charge of the agency's spies, is said to have made the decision some weeks ago.

The CIA says Mr Pavitt's decision was unconnected with Mr Tenet's departure.

But analysts say the move will mean more upheaval at a critical time for the agency.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3775423.

well, hard time fpr the CIA.
0 Replies

lizzee

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 02:53 am
Thok: I don't think it was Tenet who was drunk. Chalabi hung out with high-up Pentagon civilians (meaning the political appointees?), according to one report. He was also very chummy with Cheney and Rummy. (Everyone's a poet and doesn't know it.)

Well, the only drunk I know of in govt is GW Bush.

Bi-Polar: Yup, Bush and Company have pulled an Enron on the entire country.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 08:58 am
Bush is a former drunk, I think. Not sure we can blame him for Chalabi; he's probably not really in the loop for the really important info that floats around. Until someone like Cheney or Rumsfeld wants to tell him...
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 09:02 am
I doubt that Tenent was drunk or feeling the stress, but I do think Bush et al is feeling the heat, both legal and electoral and need a sacrificial lamb. I suspect we are seeing an administration that is beginning to panic. I would suspect the next big fish to jump/push will be Powell.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 09:04 am
They keep Bush busy by supplying him with heavy reading.The book he likes best deals with spot running. He is however having difficulty finishing it. Those damn big words. Confused
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 09:55 am
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 12:31 pm
au1929: Re Powell, I think he'll be gone soon, but probably after the election. I'm sure his appetite for the BS he's been through was exhausted a long time ago!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 02:15 pm
There is very little question that Powell win or lose will be gone after the election. The Mystery to me is how he hung on so long.
0 Replies

lizzee

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 09:44 pm
Bumblebee, thanks for the Ray McGovern transcript. Very informative!

>>"The folks that were running Chalabi or vice versa as the case may be that is, the folks that were being run by Chalabi, were the Neo-cons who are responsible for the fix that this country is in now in Iraq. They groomed him and they went out drinking with him, and I can easily believe the story that was printed in the press yesterday that one of them got a little too potted...And one can guess about five people who may have told him that."

We'll find out who the drunk was, one way or another. He'll probably be the next person to go over the side.
0 Replies