University Wisconsin - Stout Band

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 02:50 am
This news really will be of minor interest to just a very few people here.

But the "UW - Stout Band" is the orchestra for the New Year's Concert in the town I live here in Germany.
(They are playing additional at the 800-years-jubilee in a suburbian village here.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,938 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 03:13 am
BTW

There are a couple of US-American (and Canadian) students at various high schools in our county.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 11:10 pm
Walter - won't they be disappointed when they discover there is no stout to be had in Germany, only pils?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 12:28 am
You can get stout here, Mr. Stillwater, but since a visit to a brewery is part of the band's program as well ...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 01:28 am
Walter, I've heard UW Stout's band play many times ... I think you will enjoy them. As College Bands go, they're pretty good, and they have a broad repitoire. I doubt you'll get to see them do it, but their marching style is very animated and well choreographed, too. They always do well in US competitions.

Oh, and save me a little Schlenkerla "Smoke Beer", will ya? That's pretty stout.

timber
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 01:31 am
timber

I bet, they will march (although not at the New Year's Concert but at the viallge jubilee).

Sorry, we don't get local Bamberg beer here - would a Westphalian smoke beer serve as well?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 01:55 am
I'm sure a Westphalian would be fine. I've never had one of those, but I remember well the hearty flavor of the beer in that white-tabled, beam-ceilinged, dark-walled old tavern on Sandstrasse in Bamberg. Ahhh .... too many years ago. I can't possibly be this old. But, I am.

timber
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 02:02 am
Hoping, you are not going to fall into a serious depression now:

Historical Brewery Tavern Schlenkera
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 02:10 am
Great link, walter! Thanks ... I wish there were more photos on their website, but there was a link to a US distributor, and I'm going to order some. Enjoy the band, I'll enjoy the beer.

timber
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 02:21 am
That's only fair, thanks! (I suppose, you ordered some 40L Kegs?)
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:48 am
Hey Timber, why don't a group of us board your Wobbly Goblin and fly over? What could be better than tasting great beer and getting to meet Walter?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:00 am
Or you go by a "normal flight"? Tickets are to get for about 400 $ (both ways) from New York to PAD. (I don't know, why they charge such more from Boston.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:01 am
Oops, timber: we've got a handful of breweries very close to us, .....and lots of nicer pubs than in Bamberg! (Nearly.)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 11:57 am
Thanks for the invite, Walter, and if ever again I visit The Continent (unlikely), I will surely look you up and insist upon your hospitality. You should do the same if chance brings you anywhere near The Northwoods.

And for the "Niceness" of pubs, its been my experience that sort of grows on you ... the longer you spend in any particular pub, the "Nicer" it seems.

timber
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 05:09 pm
Walter - could you pop round to Sachsenstrasse and have an Apfelwein for me. That was one of the best things I remember from my trip to Europe - an amazing old pub with waiters in this old- fashioned get up and my first taste of genuine cider. Ahhh.....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 01:22 am
Here you are, Mr. Stillwater:

Äppelwoi Lokal Sachsenhausen
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 02:24 am
Thanks, mate. Now there's also a pub called the 'Wedding Bureau'... and if you see my uncle....
0 Replies