Outdoor Christmas Lights - Middle Burnout

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 06:57 pm
I pulled out the string of LED outdoor Christmas lights, and most of the strings work. But the two extra long strings (with green coated wires) are being goofy. Half of the lights aren't working on the one string, which I understand is quite common and despite my attempts at fixing it I've resigned myself to just replacing it. The other string, however, is confusing… imagine the string divided into thirds; the first and last third is working. The MIDDLE either flashes, as though it suddenly thinks it's a twinkle string, or it doesn't work at all. I have tried fixing it, and then researching it, but can't find anyone else who's had the same problem.

Any thoughts?!

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 08:22 pm
@MidwesternMama,
Replace them all. They are cheap when compared to a fire on the house or landscape. Besides there are energy saving ones on the market now that will make a difference
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 08:55 pm
@MidwesternMama,
Most LED lights aren't wired in series, but it looks like your are. One bulb in the bunch is acting up. First thing to check is whether this is correct. On a working segment, pull one bulb. If the segment stays lit, it is probably a broken wire somewhere and you will have a lot of trouble figuring it out. If the segment goes dark, use the bulb you just removed and step down the original dark segment putting it in each position until the lights come on. You might be able to find it that way.
0 Replies