ETHNIC RECIPE-Golupki (Golumpki)

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 04:25 pm
@farmerman,
Anyway, we call it "Krautwickerl" and I made it just the other day!
Probably not what you want, farmerman, but I tell you anyway Very Happy

You need
1 cabbage (blanched for 10 minutes)
1 onion
350 gr. rice
1 kg. mixed ground meat (pork and beef)
4 tablespoon tomato paste
Salt, pepper, paprika and corn starch

Remove the leaves from blanched cabbage, cook the rice (if the package says 20 min. cook for 10 min only). Dice onion and add to the ground meat,
add rice, tomato paste, salt and pepper to taste. Fill the cabbage leaves
each with the meat, roll up and put them in a pot. Lay the remaining leaves on top, add a bit of water and let it cook for about an hour.

For the sauce: heat up some water, add tomato paste, salt, pepper, parika and a bit of half and half. If the sauce is not thick enough, add some corn starch. Pour sauce over cabbage rolls. Eat! Smile

http://imworld.aufeminin.com/dossiers/D20140115/kohlrouladen-rezept-2-110001_L.jpg
farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 07:46 pm
@CalamityJane,
Its not TOO different with the exception of the cooking the rolls IN the tomato sauce mixture. That merely infuses a bit of the tomato taste through the rolls.

It was really good an will probably taste better tomorrow. (were gonna freeze the rest)

Cutting the stem of the cabbage for easier removal of the cabbage leaves post blanching can be accomplished by using a dedicated "hole cutting saw" attachment on an electric hhand drill. I had a brand new set of cutters that I bought at a hardware sale and hvent used yet. The 1.5+ diameter , I washed well and cut the stem and just immersed the raw cabbage into a pot of boiling water for about 8/10 min.

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 08:32 pm
@farmerman,
Since I put some tomato paste to the meat mixture, I get that taste too,
but you're right: reheated the next day is even better!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 08:38 pm
@farmerman,
You guys are going to get me to try this. My present cabbage is involved in tuna taquitos, but there is always another cabbage.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 08:47 pm
@ossobuco,
You should, osso, it's delicious and healthy.

How I make the cabbage leaves softer - after boiling them for 5 minutes -
I trim the center vein at the end so it's more flat, this way the leaves roll much easier.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 08:48 pm
@CalamityJane,
Ok, I'll report..
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 08:56 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Cutting the stem of the cabbage for easier removal of the cabbage leaves post blanching can be accomplished by using a dedicated "hole cutting saw" attachment on an electric hhand drill.

Now that's a great idea. Cutting out cabbage cores is too hard.
chai2

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 09:02 pm
@chai2,
I just told Wally what I want for Christmas.

He's stoned right now, so I'm sure I'll have to remind him.
chai2

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 09:14 pm
@chai2,
farmer, do you remember The Kapusta Kid in Outer Space?

This was probably the original "watch when you're stoned" segment on Ernie Kovacs.

farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 04:37 am
@chai2,
I was a very young lad when Ernie Kovacs was on Phildelphia tv. It was about 1959 and the Kapusta Kid was a space serial no?
My cousin,, with whom I lived at that time until I was about 11, was several years older than I. His mother caught him whacking off to a magazine with a picture of Edie Adams in one of her costumes.

my cusin later became a serial killer, but I digress
So yes I recall the Kapusta Kid
0 Replies