Anyone ever heard of this religion?

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 11:22 am
I'm doing a search for a friend. She met this guy and has grown suspcious of him. He says he practices magic. Which would make his religion Pagan. But I know that Pagans spell it Magick. (I'm a Pagan). I can't remember the spelling of the religion. But I do know that the first 4 letters were Chaa. After that I can't remember. Was just wondering if anyone had any info on this religion. He refuse to talk about it himself. Thanks for any help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 624 • Replies: 8
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 11:27 am
It could be a misspelling of "Cabalism" or "Kabbalah". The spellings are numerous. Other than that, I have no clue.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 11:34 am
There is a sect of the Buddhist religion known as the "Golden Dawn" movement which is also known as the "Magic Movemment".

"Chaa" (aka "Chah") in Buddhism would refer to someone of the "Forest Tradition" out of Thailand.

Perhaps those are clues...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 11:38 am
Hmmm, very interesting fishin'. I've heard of the Golden Dawn, but not in relation to Thai Buddhism.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 11:44 am
Yeah. I'm not sure if the Golden Dawn and Thai Buddhism have much of a connection. Both just tie into Buddhism so it might be a pointer of some sort.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 12:11 pm
With no more to go on than given, even guessing is tough. Terms like magic and pagan aren't very precise. Both terms tend to be applied to those who believe differently than we do. To me, all of the Abrahamic group are pagans, as I am to them. Are magic and ireicals the same thing? If so, then most of the Abrahamic faiths believe in magic. Both miricals and magic operate to negate the natural laws of physics.

Give us more data, and perhaps we can do a better job of helping identify this fellow's religion. On the other hand, why not just ask him?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 12:16 pm
fishin', from what I know, the Golden Dawn was a mish-mash cultish secret society that incorporated many religious and occult traditions. It was popular with Yeats, Madame Blavatsky, and that ilk. It's not so much a religion as it is a system.
0 Replies

Sanqhian

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 12:17 pm
I'm trying to squeeze what info I can out of him. But everytime I ask him about it he either ignores me or changes the subject. If I do get something out of him, I'll post it here.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 01:43 pm
sanqhian--

Welcome to A2K.

I have no idea which particular sect your friend's friend might belong to, but very possibly it is one where esoteric information is restricted to initiates and not to be shared with the vulgar, unenlightened herd--people like you and me.

Magic and sacred mysteries are often found together.
0 Replies