More reasons to like Tony Bennett

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 08:16 am
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/25/tony-bennett-s-nazi-hunting-past-is-just-one-reason-he-s-the-greatest-living-american.html
From fighting Nazis to marching alongside Martin Luther King Jr. to singing with Lady Gaga, the crooner has done it all.
Only one man can say that he has both recorded a jazz album with Lady Gaga and liberated a Nazi death camp, and that man’s name is Tony Bennett.

On Tuesday, the legendary 88-year-old singer released his new album Cheek to Cheek, a collection of jazz and big-band covers. “The collaboration has been so wonderful. It’s so natural singing with Tony,” Gaga said. “I just learn so much from him every day. I’m so happy.”

Here’s the two of them duetting on the 1937 showtune “The Lady Is a Tramp” for one of Bennett’s previous albums:

Bennett has been singing for over six decades, scoring his first Billboard No. 1 in 1951. Collaborating with much younger pop and rock stars nowadays isn’t all that unusual for him; he’s recorded songs with Amy Winehouse, Mariah Carey, and Bono, to name a few.

But his long, awards-heavy career in music is hardly the most fascinating—or admirable—thing about him. In his younger days, Bennett killed fascists, became a hardcore anti-war liberal, and fought for civil rights.

In 1944, Bennett (then Anthony Benedetto) was drafted as a teenager into the Army in the closing year of World War II. He was assigned to the Seventh Army, 63rd Infantry Division of the 255th Regiment, G Company, and was deployed to France in the harsh winter of 1945. By March, he and his fellow servicemen had reached Germany, where they were sent to the front lines and where Bennett witnessed a hell of a lot of death and destruction.

“Nighttime was the worst,” Bennett wrote in his autobiography. “We couldn’t light any fires to keep warm; we couldn’t even light a cigarette, because the glow would be detected by the Germans and give away our position.”

The final official mission of the 255th Regiment was the liberation of a Nazi concentration camp in Landsberg, a town just 30 miles south of Dachau. “I’ll never forget the desperate faces and empty stares of the prisoners as they wandered aimlessly around the campgrounds,” Bennett wrote. “Once we took possession of the camp, we immediately got food and water to the survivors, but they had been brutalized for so long that at first they couldn’t believe that we were there to help them and not to kill them…To our horror we discovered that all of the women and children had been killed long before our arrival and that just the day before, half the remaining survivors had been shot…The whole thing was beyond comprehension.”

Bennett’s service turned him into the ultimate peacenik. “The first time I saw a dead German, that’s when I became a pacifist,” he told Howard Stern in 2011.

“We couldn't light any fires to keep warm; we couldn't even light a cigarette, because the glow would be detected by the Germans and give away our position.”
“Anybody who thinks that war is romantic obviously hasn’t gone through one,” he wrote in his autobiography. “Actually the war comedies like M*A*S*H and Catch-22 are probably a more accurate depiction of war than the ‘guts and glory’ films, because they show how pathetic the whole enterprise is…Every war is insane, no matter where it is or what it’s about. Fighting is the lowest form of human behavior…No human being should have to go to war, especially an eighteen-year-old boy.”

After Germany surrendered, Bennett was stationed there as part of the Allied occupying force. It was during this period that he was caught fraternizing with a black soldier—at a time when the U.S. Armed Forces were racially segregated. As a result, an Army captain literally spat on Bennett’s corporal stripes and assigned him to Graves Registration, where he had to dig up the bodies of deceased military personnel.

This brush with institutionalized racism changed Bennett’s life, and informed his decision to sign up with the Civil Rights Movement. He participated in the historic 50-mile Selma to Montgomery marches in 1965. To rally the crowd, Bennett sang on a makeshift stage constructed out of dozens of empty coffins.

“I didn’t want to do it, but then [fellow singer and social activist] Harry Belafonte told me what went down…how some blacks were burned, had gasoline thrown on them,” Bennett told CNN last year. “When I heard that, I said, ‘I’ll go with you.’”

In 2007, he stopped by The Colbert Report to discuss his marathon career, and marching with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. “I thought everybody should,” he said.
For his strong support for civil rights, the Martin Luther King Center gave him their “Salute to Greatness Award,” and the International Civil Rights Walk of Fame added his footprint to their array of heroes and icons.

From helping to defeat fascism in the ’40s to crooning with Lady Gaga today, he’s led a uniquely remarkable life. And if someone wanted to bestow upon Bennett the official title of “Greatest Living American,” they would certainly have a strong case for doing so.

farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 08:29 am
@edgarblythe,
Mrs F got that and the new Barbra Streisand CDs and has been playing them in her studio constantly.
Germlat

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 08:37 am
@edgarblythe,
Tony Bennett was waaaay before my time...But--I was well indoctrinated as to what good music is. I love such artists as Harry Connick Jr. And Michael Buble,, since they pay homage to all those beautiful sounds. I was impressed with Lady Gaga and Tony singing "Lady is a Tramp". Still...Frankie has my heart. I was probably conceived to those sounds... My mom is in her mid-sixties ...pretty sure they had some influence.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 08:53 am
As a singer, I didn't think his voice and style were suited to some of his 50s hits, such as Cold Cold Heart and In the Middle of an Island. I liked him then, but was not a real fan. His voice and style matured, in my view, in the 60s, when he recorded I Left My Heart, I Wanna Be Around and a few dozen other great ones. He has had some dry spells, but he always comes back on top.
Germlat

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 08:56 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Mrs F got that and the new Barbra Streisand CDs and has been playing them in her studio constantly.

Barbra is the bomb...wow! Beautiful voice and enough fortitude to say...the hell with you!! I don't need my nose fixed...unlike everyone in Hollywood.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 08:59 am
@edgarblythe,
Quite amazing. Thanks for sharing. I'll share this as well.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 09:01 am
@Ragman,
Yeah. Tony the man is more impressive than his records. He is also an artist, though the article failed to mention it.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 11:11 am
I've been a fan of his since my dad and I went to a concert of his at the Oakland coliseum when I was a teenager.

He has had and is still having an amazing and very full life. He introduced me to Lady Gaga in one of his earlier duets albums and I've been a fan of her jazz voice ever since. She too, is a special person.

Can't wait to get my hands on their new CD.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 11:13 am
@edgarblythe,
Here's a link to some of his artwork.

https://tonybennett.com/art.php
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 11:22 am
Saw Bennett two years ago in concert. Amazing voice. His daughter opened for him and was awful. I think Dad buys all her albums.

I'm listening to Smokey and his duets now. Plan to get both the Streisand and Bennett duo albums.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 11:47 am

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 11:49 am
@Butrflynet,
A lesson. ALWAYS tear up your not-so-great work. Bennedetto doesn't do that. He displays everything even some of his more amateurish watercolors.

NOT A CRITICISM -hes done some relly great stuff. But not all of his stuff is gret (some is downright "refrigerator door" quality)
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 11:49 am
I like his landscapes
http://www.newyorker.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/110919_bennett-tuscany_p465.jpg
farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 11:54 am
@edgarblythe,
yep, that's a goodie
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 11:58 am
@Butrflynet,
Thanks for that, butrflynet. Gee whiz, those are good to see.

edit - Haven't gone though them yet but I liked the ones on the link page.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 12:05 pm
@farmerman,
I think he is a rather fast painter. Knock it out, good or bad, and move on.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 12:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
in the 60s, when he recorded I Left My Heart

an Abuzz friend is the daughter of the arranger of I Left My Heart in San Francisco. When Set and I visited her in Maine, we saw the Grammy he won for his arrangement. http://www.last.fm/music/Marty+Manning

I really enjoy the work he's been doing lately. If his duets album had come out in the day of vinyl, I'd probably have worn it out by now.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 12:13 pm
I bought four or five of his albums made about that time and still have them. I expected to not like his new duets, but what I have heard so far is good.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 03:10 pm
As an aside...and for what it is worth:

If anyone had ever told me a few years back that I would love Lady Gaga and consider her one of the most talented singers going right now...

...I'da called the person "nuts" while laughing at him/her.

But Gaga is simply a delightful singer with an absolutely terrific voice...and her handling of material is like magic.

Tony Bennett has been a favorite for years...and I especially love his many collaborations.

This one...is special.
farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 03:16 pm
@Frank Apisa,
who said "theres only good music and bad music"

1. Forums
  2. » More reasons to like Tony Bennett
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 02:27:34