Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 10:48 pm
@edgarblythe,

0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2014 07:07 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

who said "theres only good music and bad music"

I think music is a gift....in the sense that extraordinary voices aren't always the most successful or the ones to speak to one's heart. I also enjoy very talented music...but--at the end of the day, it's the connection that keeps us coming back.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 11:04 am
@edgarblythe,
Thinking about this thread and I came up with a conclusion that there are very few artists (pop) to whose entire body of work I could listen to. Tont Bennett is one of them.
My others include

RAY CHARLES
JOHNY CASH
KRIS KRISTOFERSEN
DIRE STRAITS
BECK
SELDOM SCENE
EMERSON LAKE AND PALMER
ROLLING STONES

There are others whose work I like on a singular piece by piece basis but I couldn't sit there and listen to ll of thir stuff at once. I love Willie Nelson but even he's made few stinkeroos and had cut albums that were phoned in.

chai2

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 11:22 am
Mr. Bennett looks absolutely AMAZING for 88 (or 58 or that matter).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 11:39 am
@farmerman,
Willie Nelson is a good guitar player and some of his records are extremely good, and I don't want a steady diet of it. But I have a hard time coming up with artists whose every song seems worthwhile.
farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 02:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
at least RAy Charles and Dire STraits
Germlat

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 02:12 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

at least RAy Charles and Dire STraits

Ray Charles...love him.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 02:13 pm
@farmerman,
Don't get me wrong. I love those artists. Particularly Ray. Some of Ray's records are among the best ever made, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 02:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
Willie Nelson was the first American country music artist I ever liked. I first heard him in Yugoslavia... Laughing bit odd right? I've liked him since.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 02:51 pm
I've been to a Willie concert. He has a daughter that often performs here in Tomball. The place she appears at has life-size figures of the Blues Brothers on top of the canopy at the entrance.
Ragman

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 03:01 pm
@Germlat,
What musty have endeared him to those audiences is the effort he put forth to speak Serbo-Croatian, Slovenian, and Macedonian. What a man!
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 03:41 pm
@Ragman,
He sang recently at the 7th inning at a Giant's game, and the guy really has class.

I was hoping he'd sing "I left my heart in San Francisco," but it was okay that he chose another song.
Germlat

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 03:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
First song I heard was, "Healing Hands of Time". There was something about the voice and melody...so soulful and genuine. Since then I have ventured out into exploring country music. Patsy Cline is one of my favorites.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 03:59 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

What musty have endeared him to those audiences is the effort he put forth to speak Serbo-Croatian, Slovenian, and Macedonian. What a man!

English is my second language( pretty obvious, I guess), so I understood the lyrics perfectly. My stepdad was an English Diplomat with a wide range of musical tastes. He was the one to play it for me. It was part of his eclectic collection.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 04:43 pm
Quite a number of years ago a d.j. on a local NPR jazz program decided to do an entire evening of Ray Charles. It may have been Ray's birthday or something. I couldn't listen to it; shut it off about a half hour into the show. And I love Ray Charles. It's just that four hours straight of any vocalist is too much for me. Intersperse it with something different from time to time.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 04:52 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
There were very few singers I could listen to all day, but most are gone. I loved Ella and Karen. I could listen to Erroll Garner play all day too!
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 04:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Somebody like Errol Garner or Oscar Peterson, that's a different story. I can listen to a gifted instrumentalist do his/her thing all day probably. Vocalists are another thing, though,

Well, maybe Ella . . .
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2014 09:50 pm
Fans of Tony and Lady Gaga might want to catch this program which will be on pbs next Friday night.

GREAT PERFORMANCES “Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga: Cheek to Cheek LIVE!”
Friday, October 24, 9:00-10:00 p.m. ET
Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga team up for a very special concert from the stage of Jazz at Lincoln Center’s Rose Theater in New York City performing selections from their collaborative classic jazz recording, CHEEK TO CHEEK.

http://www.pbs.org/about/news/archive/2014/arts-fall-festival/
Ragman

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 09:26 am
@cicerone imposter,
I had been referring to Willie Nelson. Aren't you referring to Tony Bennett?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 06:21:23