How to tell parent about my military interests?

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2014 07:43 pm
All my life I wanted to join the military or make something military oriented. Recently I went to a career tech center. I went for a shadow of protective services and really, REALLY liked it. I spend most of my nights in the summer watching military combat videos on youtube in privet. I tried showing them how much I like guns, making military gear, and playing combat hobbies but they just think its a phase. When I tell them about military facts they say don't think about joining due to people like ISIS. I want to go to go tech for protective services and or heavy equipment since that's what the military looks for. I just need to know how the explain that I want to join the military and go to go tech for protective services. Thank you. By the way I am in high school still freshman.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,084 • Replies: 2
No top replies

engineer

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2014 07:54 pm
@GAM3D1FF1CULTY,
You've got a few years still. First, work on your grades. The better your grades and test scores the more the military will be interested in you and let you do what you want. Consider JROTC if your school has it. Think about college even though you have some time. College will open your options in the military or even make you officer material. An ROTC scholarship or an academy appointment would allow you to serve and further your education at the same time. You might want to consider talking to a school counselor.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2014 08:37 pm
@GAM3D1FF1CULTY,
I can give you a parent's perspective from personal experience. I had a teenage son who wants to join the Marines.

As a parent, I want my son to have options. I tell him this. I want him to get good grades and to be safe. These are things that will help him whether or not he ends up in the military.

When I see my son being responsible and working on his classes and other activities, it helps me to take him seriously... it is a matter of maturity. When my son started getting his butt out of bed early in the morning and on weekends (on his own initiative) to do exercises with JROTC, I really started taking him seriously.

You should also try to see things from your parents' point of view. Having a child in the military is a scary prospect. We all worry about our kids and none of us want to see our kids in harms way. Of course, as a parent I will support my kids no matter what they decide to do... and of course I will be proud of my son if he ends up in the military. As engineer pointed out, you have a few years to think about it.

If you work hard at school and learn responsibility. You will do well and gain the respect of your parents whether or not you end up in the military.

0 Replies