Water pressure

tgwmiw

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2014 05:54 pm
The plumber told me that the water pressure coming in to my home is above 90psi. He said that the pressure should not be above 80psi. He told me that the high water pressure is causing my fixtures to wear out prematurely. He recommends that I have a pressure regulating valve put on the water pipe after the meter. It will cost about $400. Is this a good idea? Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 930 • Replies: 6
No top replies

engineer

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2014 06:41 pm
@tgwmiw,
tgwmiw wrote:

The plumber told me that the water pressure coming in to my home is above 90psi. He said that the pressure should not be above 80psi.

Correct.
Quote:
He told me that the high water pressure is causing my fixtures to wear out prematurely.

Yes, and can cause leaks.
Quote:
He recommends that I have a pressure regulating valve put on the water pipe after the meter.

That is the usual fix if the municipal water pressure is too high.
Quote:
It will cost about $400. Is this a good idea? Thank you.

It's probably a good idea, but I'm not sure that is should cost that much. You might be able to do it yourself. At least call around and ask some other plumbers for estimates. This website says you should pay around $150.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2014 10:00 am
Good work, engineer. The $400 price tag struck me as a little too high, but considering the $70/hr labor they charge in our town it might not be so very excessive.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2014 10:10 am
@tgwmiw,
I suggest Wm that you might already have such a reg but that it just doesn't work

Interesting to note here in a local pub back room, the speaker at a gathering of plumbers advised, "Try to get $400" regardless of the kind or size of the job
0 Replies

FrancisKroeger

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 06:23 am
@tgwmiw,
Yes it is one of the good idea that he has given you.
0 Replies

tgwmiw

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 08:44 am
@engineer,
Thank you! Your reply was very helpful.
0 Replies

RayEGarcia

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 04:51 am
If because of this problem your water system gets damaged then it will cost more than $400 so it will be a wise decision to invest on a PRV.
0 Replies