Are we over :(

Bri198

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 03:01 pm
I have even dating a guy for a month and a half and asked him to be my date to a friends wedding three weeks In advance. He told me he would like to go. I was nervous because I have been stood up before to a wedding, but he assured me he would go. He was working that weekend helping a friend excavate, but told me he set his own hours. The day of the wedding, he didnt call when he was supposed to. I waited an hour and then called him. He said he was still working, and would be done in 45 minutes or so. Time went by and he still wasn't checking in and I got really upset as the wedding was starting. I had been drinking and was slightly tipsy on top of being upset. i called him and texted him really upset for doing this to me. He told me he was still working, and that the rain had made it twice as hard. Needless to say, he never showed . this is where i admit i messed up. i texted him asking "how could he do this to me" and that i was really hurt and embarrassed , that I was sweet and how could he do this to me. I called him repeatedly, probably 20 times. I didn't talk to him the next day, but today I texted him and asked if he wanted to talk about it. He told me we had nothing to talk about and that I had been acting really childish. I told him that I apologize for my behavior, but that I was really hurt and embaressed in front of my friends, and that most women would feel that way being stood up to a wedding. He never responded. i waited about three days, then sent him a message that i apologize for my part amd my actions, i miss talking to him and that I have been really happy the past month. No response. I really like him, but am wondering what he is thinking. Does he not see how that was wrong on his behalf? Are we over? I understand my texting and calling was wrong and that I acted like a crazy person, but I feel like we both messed up and would just like to put it behind us and move on. How do I go about this, or did my actions cause irreparable harm.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 873 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 03:13 pm
@Bri198,
It's over. He's made it abundantly clear.

And yeah, you could've handled this a lot better. I agree he should not have agreed to go if he couldn't.

But here's the real problem. You should not have been reminding him and getting him set up on the day of the wedding. Night before, sure, but not the day of.

So, next time, and it'll undoubtedly be with a different guy, ask him to go, give him some advance time (the three weeks was fine) and then a friendly reminder the day/night before. And no more. If he suddenly has to work, then he's basically not going to be around. Work schedules can sometimes change, to be sure, but at least you would know and would not be expecting him.

BTW, you got stood up, but the happy couple are out whatever it cost for his plate. Pretty much a dick move on his part, but do own up to the fact that you basically stomped all over everything afterwards.

No more drunk dialing (please; retain your dignity). No more springing a wedding on someone without at least 24 hours notice (yes, he heard from you before, but he apparently needed to be reminded). And if a guy still doesn't show? Dance and have fun and delete his contact info. Don't beg, don't drunk dial, don't debase yourself that way again.
Bri198

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 03:21 pm
@jespah,
I didn't spring it on him, I had actually spent the night over the night before/morning of and we had talked about him going and finalized plans
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 03:38 pm
@Bri198,
He blew you off; he just didn't want to go. And he was not man enough to tell you that he would not be there. He had no intention of being there.

Don't beat yourself up about how you acted. You had a right to be upset. He is a jerk.

Better to be mad than hurt. He's immature and be glad you are rid of him. He'd be pulling this stunt all the time.

Re: how you "looked to your friends." Laugh it off. You got dumped. Be glad you were at the reception, not at the altar.

0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 04:07 pm
@Bri198,
Bri, you asked a guy after dating for 3 weeks to attend a Wedding, at that point he probably did want to attend with you, I'm sure you told him as well that previously you had been stood up, maybe he was polite in insisting he would go.

But, if you work out in the field and it rains, it can delay things. Sure he should have said, so sorry I'm working as fast as I can, I will be there soon, instead of I'll be done in 45 or so.

Being slightly tipsy allows one text or call but 20?

In my opinion, you both didn't mess up, he may have been 100% honest with you, he may have had to remain at work, he may have showed up late but showed up, he may not have. You will never know.

We also don't know how things really were leading up to that Wedding, if you texted and called 20 times, did you constantly remind him he "had" to go, that you were sweet? If so you may have already set the wheel in motion that you were demanding.

I would have booked him in but told no one, other than the Bride and advised that he may or may not show you are hoping, he is working if not you'll pay for his share. Then you would not have been feeling all embarrassed and gone on a rampage.

What you did was show him you weren't "sweet" rather you threw a tantrum so big that he ran.

contrex

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 04:52 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:
What you did was show him you weren't "sweet" rather you threw a tantrum so big that he ran.

Agree about the tantrum making him run. What is this "sweet" thing? What does it mean?

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 05:02 pm
@Bri198,
among other things, don't invite someone you've been dating a few weeks to a wedding

he's still basically a stranger to you, and most likely a stranger to the bride and groom

show some respect for yourself and go to weddings on your own rather than invite a virtual stranger - that's just tacky

drunk texting/calling? 20 times? you're lucky he didn't block you - which is what I would have recommended to him after the 3rd or 3th text (if he'd asked me)
Bri198

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 05:41 pm
@ehBeth,
We grew up together since elementary school, never good friends, but in same social circle, and he also knew the groom from elementary school as well. I know I was wrong in how I expressed it and was childish. But I feel it's wrong to stand someone up to a wedding. I just want to make things better and explain why I reacted that way.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 05:44 pm
@Bri198,
Leave it/him alone and yeah - still wrong to invite him to the wedding after just weeks of dating.

Try and take things more slowly with the next guy you date.
0 Replies