Prophesy

Roald01

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 07:40 am
As a non-Christian and no knowledge in the field of theology, I have a question to ask regarding prophesy... I was on holiday, and met a Christian stranger who prayed for me on the bus, and then asked if it would be ok to say a few words and first impressions he had of me. To cut it short, he said a lot of things (some more accurate than others), but one thing struck me the most - the fact he knew the name of my Grandad who passed 4 years ago. What does this mean? It happened a few days ago and I can't make out what, if anything, I should do about it?

chai2

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 07:45 am
@Roald01,
He knew who you were, but you didn't know him.

He lied if he said he didn't know you.

Other than that, it was a lucky guess.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 07:55 am
@Roald01,
Let me see now.....I have someting coming through..... you are new here, and I'm sensing that your username (which I haven't seen, honest) is somehow connected to the author of James and the Giant Peach.
Hmmmm.... something else..... you haven't had time, or have no desire to, complete your profile on this site..... and hold on, hold on..... you met someone on a bus.....
Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 08:03 am
In the first place, prophesy is foretelling events which will take place in the future, it is not recounting events of the past, no matter how remarkable they may be. You say you were on holiday. Did you fly to the other side of the planet? Did you just go down to Blackpool to go to the beach? What i'm getting at is to know whether or not this individual might have had some way of knowing about you and was attempting to exploit that knowledge.

You really don't give very much information.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 08:07 am
To be honest, if a "Christian stranger" started praying for anyone on a British bus, he'd almost definitely be told to eff off and go pray somewhere else.
We're not into religious nutters on buses or trains, for obvious reasons.
Roald01

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 08:19 am
@Setanta,
Hi @Setanta,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did think that prophecy was foretelling the future - is there a 'biblical term' word for recounting past events? I was actually in Oslo, Norway and the man was from a region much much further north, aged around 30 and I am 21. Sorry about the lack of information, I realise it was a little rushed, but hopefully this is a little more informative.

He approached a crowd of people asking whether this was the bus to the station, yes, I replied. Then he took out a piece of paper, upon which was written things he should look out for. One of the things was a red jacket, which I was wearing. As we got on the bus, he prayed for me and then told me about my Grandad (a name that doesn't even exist in Norwegian). He said I was creative and did a lot of film/photography, despite not even having a camera on me or anything in that matter to give off such a vibe. He said that I shouldn't worry about the future, which I regularly do, and that I enjoy writing, that I write down my dreams and ambitions, which I also do.

I was just as sceptical as some of the others who have replied, but now I'm starting to think it must mean something...
chai2

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 08:22 am
a red jacket.

imagine that.
Roald01

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 08:22 am
@Lordyaswas,
It seems that you were also rushed for time when filling out your profile.
0 Replies

Roald01

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 08:25 am
@chai2,
So much abuse! I just wanted to find out more about theology, not sarcasm!
timur

Over the fjords, people have a lot of bridges to sell.

They do, quite frequently..
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

@Roald01,
Try reading this, Roald.

There are many, many other articles out there like this one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2617659/The-supernatural-swindlers-Whistle-blower-exposes-psychics-believers-thousands-making-think-theyre-talking-dead-loved-ones.html
Setanta

@Roald01,
Oh hey, can i interest you in the purchase of a very lucrative bridge in New York? I can let you have at a discount, and you can make your fortune! Cash or cashier's check only, no personal checks.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 08:28 am
I was saddened to learn, Lordy, that you have been less than forthcoming in your profile. I used to believe in you, damnit!
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 08:31 am
@Setanta,
I am sorry Set, but my profile is only visible to those who have the gift.
Roald01

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 08:32 am
@Lordyaswas,
Thanks for the link, it sounds like I'm really into this sort of stuff, but I was just as sceptical as you guys. It's just, how could he have known my Grandad's name?! He said it straight out and I gave nothing away the whole time he talked...
Lordyaswas

I love one of the comments after my aforementioned linked article re. these conmen and women:-

"When my sister said she was going to a psychic show, I went with her. I spoke loudly to her in the bar beforehand about how we had come to speak to our ( wholly fictitious ) sister, who has died in a car crash. Sure enough, the 'psychic' picked us out quickly and began telling us about how happy in heaven this made up person was."
Roald01

@Lordyaswas,
I clearly don't have the gift, damn it.
Roald01

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 08:35 am
@Lordyaswas,
That's actually hilarious
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 08:37 am
@chai2,
Wait a minute!

I just realized, I had a prophesy yesterday.

I was thinking about this cartoon I saw years ago, wishing I knew where to find it.

In the 1st panel, a woman is the only passenger on the bus, sitting 3/4's of the way to the back.
2nd panel, a clearly demented man gets on the bus, makinag arbitrary sounds. The woman thinks "Oh God, don't let him sit next to me."

3rd panel: Man wheeling down the aisle saying "mbffftp" Woman thinking "Oh God, don't let him sit next to me".

4th panel: "ztrrrrpmngha". "Oh God, don't let him sit next to me.

5th panel: Man collapsed into seat next to her and says "God told me to sit next to you."

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 08:40 am
@Roald01,
It is quite possible you were scammed. A good scam artist can trick you into revealing things about yourself without realizing it, and they can manipulate you into believing they are psychic-- but they are all psychological tricks.

Read about "cold reading" to see how they do it.

0 Replies