How do you introduce yourself to people when you meet them?

Wiyaka

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 07:00 pm
The reason I ask this is that several people have looked at me strangely when I first intoduce myself to them. Let me explain. I was named after my paternal grandfather William. When I had my name changed as a part of my transition, I changed it legally to Billie. Many people will say,"Billy? That's a man's name." I just smile sweetly, shrug and say, "When I was born, my parents expected a boy. They named me after my grandpa Bill. This is what they got." Laughing It brings a chuckle and makes it easier for us to get to know each other.

So, how do you introduce yourself?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,547 • Replies: 75
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 07:18 pm
Lol! Life is a little easier fo rme - I normally just say "Hi, I'm Deb."

Since I am temporarily in a new and weirdly come by job, I often, at work, add - "I am here doing a few projects, but really I am a ministerial boat person."
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:06 pm
Deb, you minister to boats? Shocked Confused
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:07 pm
I simply say "Hi, my name is Karen and I'm pleased to meet you". I accompany that with a firm handshake and a big smile.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:17 pm
I like the "what the hell do you want?" approach. Just kidding. Actually, the way I introduce myself depends entirely on who I am speaking to.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:22 pm
I usually just say my name, shake hands, and smile, just about all at the same time, unless it is some very serious thing, then I don't smile as much.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:22 pm
(but, I don't ususally say it twice - edit)
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:35 pm
I look them square in the eye, extend my hand, and say, "Ratzenhofer.... Gustav Ratzenhofer."
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:36 pm
"cavfancier"]
Quote:
Actually, the way I introduce myself depends entirely on who I am speaking to.

Actually, if I'm introducing myself to a tradional native Elder, I offer an honor gift and usually offer my name and a warm handshake. Then I usually get, "I've heard about you. How is....?"
0 Replies

djjd62

every where i go i wear one of those tags that says

hello, my name is.......
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

I look them square in the eye, extend my hand, and say, "Ratzenhofer.... Gustav Ratzenhofer."
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:39 pm
Wiyaka wrote:
"cavfancier"]
Quote:
Actually, the way I introduce myself depends entirely on who I am speaking to.

Actually, if I'm introducing myself to a tradional native Elder, I offer an honor gift and usually offer my name and a warm handshake. Then I usually get, "I've heard about you. How is....?"

Yeah, there really isn't a single way to introduce yourself to ALL types of people. You need intuition as well.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:40 pm
Thankfully gus only needs to introdcue himself to new capybaras who don't actually speak English, despite gustav's sad illusions.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:43 pm
Go cook something, Cav.
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:49 pm
djjd62,

I thought about that, but somehow I don't think it would be too good for my dresses or blouses. Otherwise, it might be a good idea, except when we go to Gatherings or Ceremonies for the first time, there is usually someone that introduces me to people.

Can't quite figure out how people remember me so much. Just yesterday, I was in a store and one of the clerks said, "Aren't you (step-dad's name's) kid, Bill? I'm his cousin." I hadn't seen her in over 27 years! Even my old battalion commander from Vietnam remembered me when I left a message on his answering machine just after Christmas. I hadn't seen or heard from him in over 33 years, but he called back and we talked for over two hours!

Gus,
Somehow, I knew you'd introduce yourself that way.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:52 pm
Hmm....capybara green curry sounds nice. I don't have room for capybaras, but like many Peruvians, I dug a hole in my kitchen to raise Guinea Pigs, and I fatten them up with kitchen scraps. Some of them are getting quite fat. Tomorrow, they shall be stew.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:54 pm
Excellent! I'll be there.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 09:09 pm
Seems more and more I introduce myself as <name of kid>'s Dad.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 09:09 pm
Sometimes when I intoduce myself I say "My name is Mistress Karen....now do what I say". Twisted Evil
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 09:10 pm
Hola!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How do you introduce yourself to people when you meet them?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 09:18:38