What are Your Beliefs of Suicide?

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 01:10 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

mark noble wrote:

If someone wants to die - It's their choice - I have no issue with other folk's choices.

I agree that it's their choice and I'd let them do it.

A problem that arises however, is that many attempted suicides are never completed..The individual involved, some how mess up the whole process and in the end, they're worse off medically/phsiologically .

I'm hoping this is an introduction to you advocating for professional help in terminating life when a suicide is contemplated.
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 02:54 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Razzleg wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

For all anyone knows, the children will gain more knowledge about life because of this event than if it never happened...even more, if the "never happens" leads to living with someone destroying a family with personal grief.

Suicide is not an act that i feel needs to be justified; as an act, it's a step beyond either justification or denigration. But to justify it, anyway, as a "teachable moment" is grotesque.

If you find it "grotesque", Razz...you find it grotesque. That is your right.

That does not make it grotesque, however, it merely tells the world your opinion about it.

Which is what I was doing...giving an opinion about something.

And for the record...ANYTHING can be a "teachable moment."

ANYTHING!

You are, also, more than welcome to your opinion about my opinion regarding your opinion. But you didn't offer (or present) your opinion, in the quote i first responded to, as an opinion -- you offered it as an hypothesis. Can you defend it, with data, in any way? "The children of suicides may be better off: here are the numbers"...

As for the rest of your last post, i rest easy in recognizing your inability to distinguish between "learning moment" and "teachable moment". Unfortunately for those who know you, you, apparently, don't know the difference between "teaching" and "traumatizing", much less "learning" and "enduring". In some way, i agree: all moments are learning moments -- on the other hand, "teachable moments" (the transmission of useful knowledge from an elder) is rarer than we'd like to think.

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 03:30 am
@Razzleg,
Razzleg wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Razzleg wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

For all anyone knows, the children will gain more knowledge about life because of this event than if it never happened...even more, if the "never happens" leads to living with someone destroying a family with personal grief.

Suicide is not an act that i feel needs to be justified; as an act, it's a step beyond either justification or denigration. But to justify it, anyway, as a "teachable moment" is grotesque.

That does not make it grotesque, however, it merely tells the world your opinion about it.

ANYTHING!

You are, also, more than welcome to your opinion about my opinion regarding your opinion. But you didn't offer (or present) your opinion, in the quote i first responded to, as an opinion -- you offered it as an hypothesis. Can you defend it, with data, in any way? "The children of suicides may be better off: here are the numbers"...

All I said was, "For all anyone knows...."

If you do not understand what I was getting at...tough.

If someone wants to commit suicide...they can do so in my moral code. If yours is different...and they have to check with you or some god first...that is your problem.

Quote:
As for the rest of your last post, i rest easy in recognizing your inability to distinguish between "learning moment" and "teachable moment". Unfortunately for those who know you, you, apparently, don't know the difference between "teaching" and "traumatizing", much less "learning" and "enduring". In some way, i agree: all moments are learning moments -- on the other hand, "teachable moments" (the transmission of useful knowledge from an elder) is rarer than we'd like to think.

IF you feel the wording "teachable moment" should have been "learning moment"...feel free to substitute it. YOU were the one who brought the term "teachable moment" into this discussion...not I.

Either way, the point I was making is the same.

In any case, I repeat: If someone wants to commit suicide...they can do so in my moral code. If yours is different...and they have to check with you or some god first...that is your problem.
Razzleg

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2014 11:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Razzleg wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Razzleg wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

ANYTHING!

"For all anyone knows: blankety blank blank" is a prime example of a hypothesis. A hypothesis, if it is to hold water, needs to be tested and become a theory. i got what you were getting at, and i challenged it. You sought to rationally defend a position based on "the unknown", and i asked you to clarify that position without the crutch of self-imposed ignorance. Sorry if that makes your position difficult...

Frank Apisa wrote:

Razzleg wrote:

IF you feel the wording "teachable moment" should have been "learning moment"...feel free to substitute it. YOU were the one who brought the term "teachable moment" into this discussion...not I.

Nope, it isn't. The difference between "teachable" and "learnable" is clear, and your attempt to justify suicide by implying that the suicidal actor instructs her heirs implies a pathetic misunderstanding of both tradition, education, and experience..

Frank Apisa wrote:
In any case, I repeat: If someone wants to commit suicide...they can do so in my moral code. If yours is different...and they have to check with you or some god first...that is your problem.[/b]

That is, in fact, not my problem.. i think that it is cute that you need to stereotype your detractors, but also annoying that the only part of my earliest post that you happened to read was the part that addressed your statement. i don't think that you actually read any of my later posts in total, otherwise, you wouldn't have invoked religious bodies. i certainly never mentioned them...

In my opinion, suicide is neither a moral, nor an immoral act; it is a tragic one, it exists without the requirement of my judgement or the judgement of some of hypothetical deity -- and any "system" constructed to "justify" it, one way or the other, is flawed. Your "moral code" is equally irrelevant regarding this topic, so please stop trying to pretend that your judgement has any relevance regarding what people "can" (v. what they "will" or are "compelled" to) do regarding their own lives (or the decided end thereof).
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 03:34 am
@Razzleg,
Razzleg wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Razzleg wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Razzleg wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

ANYTHING!

"For all anyone knows: blankety blank blank" is a prime example of a hypothesis. A hypothesis, if it is to hold water, needs to be tested and become a theory. i got what you were getting at, and i challenged it. You sought to rationally defend a position based on "the unknown", and i asked you to clarify that position without the crutch of self-imposed ignorance. Sorry if that makes your position difficult...

It doesn't make it difficult...nothing you are asking is particularly difficult. I have responded. Apparently you are not satisfied with my responses.

Like I said: Tough.

Razzleg wrote:
As for the rest of your last post, i rest easy in recognizing your inability to distinguish between "learning moment" and "teachable moment".

Well you are wrong, but if it makes you feel better about yourself to think you are correct...please go with it.

Quote:
Unfortunately for those who know you, you, apparently, don't know the difference between "teaching" and "traumatizing", much less "learning" and "enduring".

Most who "know me" do not feel that way at all.

You are getting rather desperate here. Why not stop?

Quote:
In some way, i agree: all moments are learning moments -- on the other hand, "teachable moments" (the transmission of useful knowledge from an elder) is rarer than we'd like to think.

Whatever.

Quote:
Quote:

Nope, it isn't. The difference between "teachable" and "learnable" is clear, and your attempt to justify suicide by implying that the suicidal actor instructs her heirs implies a pathetic misunderstanding of both tradition, education, and experience..

[/quote]
I DIDN'T DO THAT...and I have explained that I did not.

You have a problem with understanding yourself, Razz.

Work on it.

Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
In any case, I repeat: If someone wants to commit suicide...they can do so in my moral code. If yours is different...and they have to check with you or some god first...that is your problem.[/b]

That is, in fact, not my problem..

I think it is part of your problem.

Quote:
i think that it is cute that you need to stereotype your detractors, but also annoying that the only part of my earliest post that you happened to read was the part that addressed your statement. i don't think that you actually read any of my later posts in total, otherwise, you wouldn't have invoked religious bodies. i certainly never mentioned them...

I'm glad you think it is cute.

I have read and responded to damn near every word you have written to me. If I missed anything...please repeat it and I will give you a response.

Quote:
In my opinion, suicide is neither a moral, nor an immoral act; it is a tragic one,

Wonderful. Thank you for sharing that.

Quote:
it exists without the requirement of my judgement or the judgement of some of hypothetical deity -- and any "system" constructed to "justify" it, one way or the other, is flawed.

Thank you for sharing that also...but I think you are all wet here.

Quote:

Your "moral code" is equally irrelevant regarding this topic, so please stop trying to pretend that your judgement has any relevance regarding what people "can" (v. what they "will" or are "compelled" to) do regarding their own lives (or the decided end thereof).

I am not pretending anything. I am sharing how I feel about a subject. If you do not like what I am saying...stop reading what I write.

Or...we can continue to discuss it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 03:47 am
Here is what I wrote originally (with the first paragraph slightly altered due to a comment Hawk had):

Quote:
If someone decides to take his/her life...there is the possibility, perhaps even the probability, that some thing that could easily be considered by a reasonable person to be strong and painful....MIGHT be happening in that life.

To suggest that someone is required to endure the kinds of pain that must be happening because of some debt to the person's kids...is absurd in my opinion.

I think this Robbins guy is full of himself and full of crap.

I stand by this completely.
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 04:07 am
I've had suicidal ideation before due to the loss of my mother (and father) and it's painful to not have parents especially a mother who was like my best friend. Some people turn to drugs, others alcohol or some sort of addiction. I think when people commit suicide it's because of a lingering pain that overwhelms their life and the inability to cope with that pain.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 05:25 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
What are Your Beliefs of Suicide?
After thay have returned to human life,
some people who have committed suicide
have been heard to complain of consequent conditions, before their return.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 05:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yep, that's fine by me. I'm unlikely to allow you to kill me, but I'm certainly not going to interfere with your ability to choose.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 06:10 pm
@Miller,
Then an outlet should be provided for the assistance thereof.
I would suggest state-sponsored cessation centres.
Just sign on the dotted line and off-to-go.
Grind up the remains and use as fertilisers.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 07:12 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Sounds extreme...but good to me.

Assisted suicide seems like the most humane way to work things...but the religious people will veto that...and they always seem to have veto power.
Germlat

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2014 01:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Truth be told, nobody can interfere with a person's desire to go through with suicide , unless you are at a hospital or other institution. Unfortunately, there are those with botched attempts...and wind up complicating their lives even more. It's truly sad. I knew a guy who shot himself in the mouth and lived. I say...better do your homework if that's the route you choose.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2014 01:46 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

Truth be told, nobody can interfere with a person's desire to go through with suicide , unless you are at a hospital or other institution. Unfortunately, there are those with botched attempts...and wind up complicating their lives even more. It's truly sad. I knew a guy who shot himself in the mouth and lived. I say...better do your homework if that's the route you choose.

Nancy and I have a friend (acquaintance actually) who failed with drugs. The result was disturbing...and it appears she is still paying a big price.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2014 09:23 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

mark noble wrote:

Sounds extreme...but good to me.

Assisted suicide seems like the most humane way to work things...but the religious people will veto that...and they always seem to have veto power.

Not only that, but when ever the subject is brought up minds go to the Nazi's as well as Eskimo elderly on ice. There is a fear that people will be pressured to die or maybe even killed by the state with suicide as a cover.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2014 10:12 pm
I would like there to be availability to suicide by injection, with what I think are obvious qualifiers to get to do that. I know how to kill myself - go up to the petroglyphs on the hottest day in summer and lie down. Thanks anyway, I'd so much rather not. There would be ants.
Or I could just try to cross Coors Boulevard on foot.

I've never been suicide inclined. I can work my way into understanding people who do it, though. And I think it can be horrible for the persons left. Unless, unless, they were prepared in a planned situation, and that in itself sounds tricky, the one to be left could be looking for surcease and pushing it.

Doesn't Oregon have some process for all that? I haven't researched it.
Germlat

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 03:17 am
@ossobuco,
I read a little about Oregon's Death with Dignity Act, which allows for physician assisted suicide. The candidate has to be a legal resident( I think that means living in the area for one year), and pass some tests to qualify. I think this act allows for the physician to dispense the prescription , but it must be self-administered by the terminally-ill patient...this is definitely the choice I'd like to have..
0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 03:45 am
Suicide can be solved simply by telling yourself, "if it was my life, I wouldn't be hating it".
0 Replies