Entrepreneurship OR Formal Education???

Sashha

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 07:03 pm
Hello,

I need objective, logical advice from someone or people who have life experience. I am at a cross roads. I am 32, former server, customer service etc but really a "failed" artist. Basically, I got into University, thinking of becoming a lawyer.. however, I want to be financially strong and my husband & I are doubting we will reach this goal through formal education. My first law firm job will be at 39 or 40 years old. Should I invest in formal education, risk knowing I may not even pass the LSAT test, and if I do, invest more into law school? OR take the time & investment and focus on a business that we enjoy etc. I'm scared I want law for the wrong reasons. I know I would enjoy being a professional and understanding the law deeply and getting into sport sponsorship law or do something with sports or Nike... However, I also want flexibility, financial independence, and I want to help my parents financially and ensure I can have a family one day...

Any advice? I hate working for others... So in the end if I become a lawyer, I want to call the shots and not be bossed around etc. I chose law because it would bring out all the aspects of my personality I like: Ambition, sales driven, confrontational, negotiator, communicator/public speaking, persuasion. However, I do NOT want to work 10-14 hours to make someone else richer than me.. nor am I interested in being 50 years old to be able to afford something nice. I am sick of being financially weak... I'm sorry I keep talking about money... but it's important to me as far as success goes. The effort or investment I put in should logically return it equally or double over time. ... Please help me understand which path you would take...or what you've learned from your own experiences. I want to be successful for my parents and I want to travel and I DO NOT want to play politics to "fit in" an office environment. I don't really fit in.. I can't stand that stuff... I'm a go-getter who had many opportunities at higher end companies with jobs that required a degree -I got in, but I got fired or sabotaged the position as I was not happy. I'm a good person, with fire in my belly to make something of myself and help people or create something beautiful with my life.. ..

I do not think I can have a mediocre life... but at the same time, I do not want to get lost in a dream world... I need sound advice from people or someone who has life experience that can teach me something...

I want to have certain things: house, option to have children, a better car, able to take care of my parents as they get older, travel, experience life for what it is, push myself, learn as much as I can, help people.. bla bla Smile

thank you,
Sashha
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,378 • Replies: 0
No top replies