Iraq: The good news

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 12:02 pm
I just thought maybe there could be a spot here on A2K where the focus is on the positive things happening in Iraq.

I still think this whole Iraq thing is a giant clusterf*ck, but maybe it's worthwhile to consider what is going right every once in awhile. Feel free to post any other positive stuff that you come across.

This site is focused on Iraq reconstruction efforts.

http://www.usaid.gov/iraq/accomplishments/

Expanding Economic Opportunity
Objectives - Rejuvenate the Iraqi economy and rebuild Iraq's agricultural sector.

Key Accomplishments
Implementing 17 high-priority activities with the CPA to reform Iraq's currency, state-owned enterprises, small businesses, banking system, taxation system, budgeting, and utility administration.

Began facilitating the Central Bank program to exchange new dinars for old on October 15, 2003, and completed the program January 15, 2004. There are currently 4.62 trillion new Iraqi dinars in circulation.

Created more than 77,000 public works jobs through the National Employment Program.

Developed a bank-to-bank payment system that allowed 80 banks to resume business by late October.

Supporting the Iraqi initiative to revitalize agricultural production, stimulate income, and employment generation through the Agriculture Reconstruction and Development Program for Iraq.

Coordinating the Marshlands Initiative to rejuvenate the marshlands ecologically, socially, and economically.

There is a list of other accomplishments on the site, but I wanted to keep this post down to a manageable size.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 708 • Replies: 0
No top replies